False Alarms?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

SpaceVelociraptor
level1
level1

False Alarms?

Postby SpaceVelociraptor » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:01 pm

Since alpha 12 was released I have noticed a lot of people setting off the metal detectors, but once they are searched, they don't have anything. I know that prisoners can now hide contraband, but even if they are searched almost immediately it seems like almost all of them are false alarms. I don't know if this is perhaps a bug, or if i'm just not searching them fast enough, or maybe false alarms are supposed to be a feature.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:11 pm

It's a bug and a feature, and is in mantis already. I've removed metal detectors completely from my prison as 9 out of ten times they went off there was nothing to find. The subsequent futile search just left my prisoners pissed off.
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:20 pm

paktsardines wrote:It's a bug and a feature, and is in mantis already. I've removed metal detectors completely from my prison as 9 out of ten times they went off there was nothing to find. The subsequent futile search just left my prisoners pissed off.

I've found that metal detectors at the entrance work very well; it flags any weapons new inmates have and doesn't (seem to) have any falses. All other detectors behave as you say, though.
iScripters
level2
level2

Postby iScripters » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:08 am

I like that it randomly gives a false positive. That way, items not detected by metal detectors (such as booze) can still be found. Just think of it like a random search..
VIPERGTSR01
level1
level1

Postby VIPERGTSR01 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:24 am

I have found that it goes off roughly around 1 in 30 prisoners for no reason, which isn't rare enough IMO. Have a prison of a 100+ inmates going to eat and you need gaurds chasing them around all the time.

I do like the feature but just like the speed prisoners get released it should be toned down some more.
Fistalis
level1
level1

Postby Fistalis » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:46 am

Currently WAD, prisoners avoid stealing metal contraband if they have to move through a metal detector which leaves nothing but false positives. 1 in 30 is about right since IIRC it was stated at about 3%. Personally I think its fine as is.
Novbert
level2
level2

Postby Novbert » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:02 am

After a false alarm have you ever tried searching the cell of the prisoner? I found that in many cases they set an alarm, then outrun the guards to their cell and hide the contraband immediately. I found some contraband in their cell after each 'false' alarm so far.
hybris
level0

Postby hybris » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:48 am

Novbert wrote:After a false alarm have you ever tried searching the cell of the prisoner? I found that in many cases they set an alarm, then outrun the guards to their cell and hide the contraband immediately. I found some contraband in their cell after each 'false' alarm so far.

I've tried to search their cell too, but no results.
Metal detectors were working good until this alpha. Now I got false allarms only - except when the prisoners arrive.
I think to it like a bug, not like a "random" good function.
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:52 am

hybris wrote:
Novbert wrote:After a false alarm have you ever tried searching the cell of the prisoner? I found that in many cases they set an alarm, then outrun the guards to their cell and hide the contraband immediately. I found some contraband in their cell after each 'false' alarm so far.

Metal detectors were working good until this alpha. Now I got false allarms only - except when the prisoners arrive.

They worked way too well before, detecting things like booze and cigarettes with 100% accuracy and no falses... I like having to keep an eye on the contraband economy rather than just setting up MDs at the canteen and forgetting about it entirely.
iScripters
level2
level2

Postby iScripters » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:27 am

HerrJoebob wrote:
hybris wrote:

They worked way too well before, detecting things like booze and cigarettes with 100% accuracy and no falses... I like having to keep an eye on the contraband economy rather than just setting up MDs at the canteen and forgetting about it entirely.

This.

Maybe when/if there is a campaign (I've read that there will be) this could be a difficulty setting. Easy = everything gets detected and no false alarms, Medium = Everything get's detected but with the 3 sec cooldown, Hard = only metal items, cooldown and false alarms.
hybris
level0

Postby hybris » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:06 am

HerrJoebob wrote:They worked way too well before, detecting things like booze and cigarettes with 100% accuracy and no falses... I like having to keep an eye on the contraband economy rather than just setting up MDs at the canteen and forgetting about it entirely.

Ok, you're right but it seems they are too much.
It's not like at the airport where false detecting can happen because people wear belts, some kind of jewelry, watches, phones and shoes.
Prisoners can't wear like people are departing. So the false detecting is too exaggerated.
Spectre Incarnate
level2
level2

Postby Spectre Incarnate » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:09 am

hybris wrote:Ok, you're right but it seems they are too much.
It's not like at the airport where false detecting can happen because people wear belts, some kind of jewelry, watches, phones and shoes.
Prisoners can't wear like people are departing. So the false detecting is too exaggerated.

I keep wondering where the false detections are coming from... gold teeth?

Either that, or Mystique injected them all with iron. :wink:

Now I really want a superhero prison mod. :shock:
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:24 am

Spectre Incarnate wrote:

I LOL'd, but yeah I wonder where the falses come from too... I guess the detectors are made by the lowest bidder.
NoOpen
level1
level1

Postby NoOpen » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:57 am

HerrJoebob wrote:
Spectre Incarnate wrote:

I LOL'd, but yeah I wonder where the falses come from too... I guess the detectors are made by the lowest bidder.

Although it happens only once in a blue moon. Prisoners have been known to work together in real life to get contraband through checkpoints, Having a person in front of you (Or at times said inmate himself) will throw small piece's of metal threw them to give themselves a better chance of getting through.
RickyHobby
level0

Postby RickyHobby » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:48 am

I'm seeing about 90% false alarms in alpha 12, FWIW.

Rick

Return to “Community Members”