[idea] Add multi levels

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:46 am

Oops, my fault. The content of your posts were so similar I didn't notice they came from two different profiles until you started your metaphorical hand-holding in the last few posts.
Last edited by paktsardines on Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Person012345
level2
level2

Postby Person012345 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:47 am

This thread makes me want to play DF.
Ric666
level3
level3

Postby Ric666 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:05 pm

Without bickering/arguing with anyone I can safely say there will never multiple stories in this game.

Sorry if that upsets people looking for this but it's already been confirmed by the dev's that it's not happening.

I don't have a source but you're just gonna have to trust me :)
Spectre Incarnate
level2
level2

Postby Spectre Incarnate » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:14 am

paktsardines wrote:Oops, my fault. The content of your posts were so similar I didn't notice they came from two different profiles until you started your metaphorical hand-holding in the last few posts.

Really?? I was convinced you thought I had a fake account. My god, was I laughing. Such coincidence was unbelievable.
Sorry for being metaphorical. Habit from many a pen-and-paper RPG and writing workshop.

Okay, look. Let's start over, eh? I'm willing to do so if you are. We obviously have some differing ideas, but I think it's okay to discuss them both as long as we can be open to listening to the other person and not be passive aggressive or cheeky about it, which we were *both* guilty of. I would very much like to continue discussing multiple levels and other influences from DF, if even just for modding purposes. Is that okay with you?

Person012345 wrote:This thread makes me want to play DF.

I know, right?! The alpha forums over there are so much more... understanding. But Toady is not done with this year's update and I was waiting for it to be released before getting back into it... but... but... I feel my willpower waning.

Anyway, do you play DF or are you new to it? If you need help, I can ATTEMPT to explain the basics if needed. Not in this thread, of course. :)

Ric666 wrote:Sorry if that upsets people looking for this but it's already been confirmed by the dev's that it's not happening.

That's... wonderful? As I've said before, just because our visions don't coincide with the devs vision, that doesn't mean we can't still talk about possibilities, cause there is always modding potential.
I've noticed a trend with most of you overlooking the larger picture in most cases.. very.. I don't want to say narrow-minded, cause it's not that. It's more... tunnel vision? What is with that, anyway? Are you all perpetually drunk or something?? :lol:

BIGGER PICTURE, PEOPLE. BIGGER PICTURE! :D
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:57 am

Spectre Incarnate wrote:
Ric666 wrote:Sorry if that upsets people looking for this but it's already been confirmed by the dev's that it's not happening.

That's... wonderful? As I've said before, just because our visions don't coincide with the devs vision, that doesn't mean we can't still talk about possibilities, cause there is always modding potential.
I've noticed a trend with most of you overlooking the larger picture in most cases.. very.. I don't want to say narrow-minded, cause it's not that. It's more... tunnel vision? What is with that, anyway? Are you all perpetually drunk or something?? :lol:

BIGGER PICTURE, PEOPLE. BIGGER PICTURE! :D

I just don't see the point in continuing to talk about something that isn't going to be implemented in the released game. Maybe when the source code is available to buy (a few years after the game's release) it'll be worth discussing.
Ric666
level3
level3

Postby Ric666 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:47 am

MAdMaN wrote:I just don't see the point in continuing to talk about something that isn't going to be implemented in the released game. Maybe when the source code is available to buy (a few years after the game's release) it'll be worth discussing.

^^Quoted for truth. We have enough stuff to look forward too/discuss regarding actual game features that are coming.

Main problem I have with this topic(which is becoming a very common thing on these forums recently) is there isn't any good discussion. It's just bickering & e-peen battles. It's all a bit boring....
JamesBr
level0

Postby JamesBr » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:41 pm

Ric666 wrote:
MAdMaN wrote:I just don't see the point in continuing to talk about something that isn't going to be implemented in the released game. Maybe when the source code is available to buy (a few years after the game's release) it'll be worth discussing.

^^Quoted for truth. We have enough stuff to look forward too/discuss regarding actual game features that are coming.

Main problem I have with this topic(which is becoming a very common thing on these forums recently) is there isn't any good discussion. It's just bickering & e-peen battles. It's all a bit boring....

I'm not entirely sure what kind of discussion you're looking for, all you can do is weight the pros and cons of the mechanic and give your personal opinion on it, which is what people have been doing. "This would work because X/This won't work because of Y" or "I like it/I don't like it". There's not much else to be said. If you don't like the conversation, don't take part in it, nobody is forcing you to participate.
Just because it won't be added officially doesn't mean the concept isn't worth talking about (they may change their mind in the future or someone might figure out a mod at some point, who knows).
Spectre Incarnate
level2
level2

Postby Spectre Incarnate » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:22 am

*shakes head*

Case in point. :roll:

This is exactly what I meant by tunnel vision. If it's not in your immediate interest, you don't support it and decide it's pointless to even discuss. Acting like this is your personal little tree house and nothing can be talked about inside it unless it benefits or entertains you in some way. Good grief!

I hadn't seen anyone mention the possibility of modding in z-levels as of yet, so I brought it up. I don't know if it can be done or not. No one does yet. If it turns out we can't mod things like that in the future, then oh well. Big whoop. But in the meantime, why come in here and be negative about it? If you are not interested in a topic, then don't post in it. Others may want to talk about an idea you have no interest in, and this may be a bit of a shocker, but people can support ideas even if they have no interest in them. That's a very large part of being a community---something this forum has none of.

It's like that guy who said he didn't want some language translation pack implemented cause he didn't speak the language. Pffft. Arrogance. Sheer arrogance! :roll:

I am an extremely creative person, constantly thinking about the broader picture, and am unable to put blinders on. Even if I tried, I'd still see through the lens of a kaleidoscope. :lol:
The *point* in talking about things that may or may not become implemented, at least for me, is to keep creativity flowing. Older ideas and ideas that *you* don't always necessarily agree with (or care about) can sometimes form into new ideas and branch off and take life of it's own. If you don't let that happen, how do you develop ideas in a development forum in the first place? I have never been in a dev forum with such an absurd attitude toward devving!

And you all wonder why there are no new ideas...!! The irony of it all... is... is... gahhhh! O_O;;
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:45 am

I am an extremely creative person, constantly thinking about the broader picture, and am unable to put blinders on.

That's great, but apparently not creative enough to type 'levels' into the search. If you do so, you'll see there's four pages of similarly creative people all suggesting exactly the same thing.

*puts blinders back on*

*yes, it's my spare eye-patch...
Spectre Incarnate
level2
level2

Postby Spectre Incarnate » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:20 am

I didn't start this thread................

I tried offering a truce earlier, but fine.. whatever. See if I give a shit. :evil:
Ric666
level3
level3

Postby Ric666 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:31 am

JamesBr wrote:I'm not entirely sure what kind of discussion you're looking for, all you can do is weight the pros and cons of the mechanic and give your personal opinion on it, which is what people have been doing. "This would work because X/This won't work because of Y" or "I like it/I don't like it". There's not much else to be said. If you don't like the conversation, don't take part in it, nobody is forcing you to participate.
Just because it won't be added officially doesn't mean the concept isn't worth talking about (they may change their mind in the future or someone might figure out a mod at some point, who knows).

I like to discuss stuff that have a chance to get into the game. That is all. I only posted above to confirm to people that the developers have confirmed this won't be happening & then I get accused of being narrow minded & blinkered.

I actually don't think it will ever be possible to introduce this unless they re-write huge amounts of the game. It would also break the game entirely & make it crazy easy. There's reasons other games have the stacking levels(mining requirements in dwarf fortress etc..) This game is not designed for this imo. So there you go, I've discussed it :P

You must also appreciate that I've seen this topic many many times(like most other suggestions that are made) & get a touch bored seeing them again & again when in reality & without a tonne of work it's just not going to work.

However, please feel free to continue to speculate/discuss etc...This is a free world :)
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:02 am

I didn't start this thread...

Yeah, alright. Sorry dude. On re-reading, my response was more than a little unfair.
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:42 pm

Spectre Incarnate wrote:This is exactly what I meant by tunnel vision. If it's not in your immediate interest, you don't support it and decide it's pointless to even discuss. Acting like this is your personal little tree house and nothing can be talked about inside it unless it benefits or entertains you in some way. Good grief!

Again, I don't see the point in supporting or discuss something that is guaranteed to not be in the finished game.

Spectre Incarnate wrote:I hadn't seen anyone mention the possibility of modding in z-levels as of yet, so I brought it up. I don't know if it can be done or not. No one does yet.

Actually we have some quite competent people on the forum who have looked at what can be modded in the current version of the game and extra floors aren't possible.

Spectre Incarnate wrote:If it turns out we can't mod things like that in the future, then oh well. Big whoop.

It will be possible to mod it in the future if Introversion starts selling access to the source code of the game, which will come at least a few years after the game has been released.

Spectre Incarnate wrote:But in the meantime, why come in here and be negative about it? If you are not interested in a topic, then don't post in it.

It's not negative to make people aware of the pointlessness of discussing something that isn't going to be in the game. It frees those people up to talk about things that are or will be implemented.

Spectre Incarnate wrote:Others may want to talk about an idea you have no interest in, and this may be a bit of a shocker, but people can support ideas even if they have no interest in them. That's a very large part of being a community---something this forum has none of.

If there's no community there'd be no discussion on the forums, nobody helping others solve problems with the game, etc.

Spectre Incarnate wrote:It's like that guy who said he didn't want some language translation pack implemented cause he didn't speak the language. Pffft. Arrogance. Sheer arrogance! :roll:

Straw man argument.

Spectre Incarnate wrote:I am an extremely creative person, constantly thinking about the broader picture, and am unable to put blinders on. Even if I tried, I'd still see through the lens of a kaleidoscope. :lol:

I paint, write, come up with an idea for something every minute, etc. Creativity has nothing to do with the topic.

Spectre Incarnate wrote:The *point* in talking about things that may or may not become implemented, at least for me, is to keep creativity flowing. Older ideas and ideas that *you* don't always necessarily agree with (or care about) can sometimes form into new ideas and branch off and take life of it's own. If you don't let that happen, how do you develop ideas in a development forum in the first place? I have never been in a dev forum with such an absurd attitude toward devving!

And you all wonder why there are no new ideas...!! The irony of it all... is... is... gahhhh! O_O;;

But unlike discussions of metal detectors, prisoner classification, guard patrols, etc. discussions on different floor levels don't come up with anything new, instead revolving around the usual basement, catwalks, etc.
Spectre Incarnate
level2
level2

Postby Spectre Incarnate » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:19 am

Why is there no option to add quotes from the topic review on the reply board?? phpBB can normally do that, I thought. :?

Ric666 wrote:I like to discuss stuff that have a chance to get into the game. That is all. I only posted above to confirm to people that the developers have confirmed this won't be happening & then I get accused of being narrow minded & blinkered.

I meant for the drunk comment to be more light hearted, but oh well...

Please understand that most of us new people here from the Summer Sale and Humble Bundle have only gotten harsh treatment and naysaying for anything and everything we say, thus far. As for me, I feel like I'm at the bottom of a treehouse looking up a sign that says "No Girls Allowed". (And I've actually experienced that one...) It looked to me like you were telling us the dev's confirmation in a very matter-of-fact manner so that discussion would stop entirely, like pretty much everyone else around here has been trying to do on a non-stop basis. If that is not what you meant, I apologize for taking it that way.

You must also appreciate that I've seen this topic many many times(like most other suggestions that are made) & get a touch bored seeing them again & again when in reality & without a tonne of work it's just not going to work.

Oh, of course. I completely understand some of you have been here longer and discussed these things before repeatedly, but there are a lot of new people here now that haven't and they just want to be given the chance to talk. They paid a decent amount of money to try and help contribute. And if the same ideas get brought up, that just means a lot of people here have like minds, and in my opinion, that's pretty cool.

I think if you are not interested in discussing the same things over and over, don't post in the thread that have the same things. You're just going to cause yourself to become jaded by paying so much attention to what others are doing.

I do have a question, though. A lot of older members have been rudely telling off the newer members not to start threads with old ideas. "There's 400 other threads of the same idea..." Are we even allowed to necro any of those older threads, then?? Cause it doesn't look like it. It seems we're in a lose/lose situation here.

However, please feel free to continue to speculate/discuss etc...This is a free world :smile:

Thank you. And I hope you find a thread that is more to your liking. :)
Spectre Incarnate
level2
level2

Postby Spectre Incarnate » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:48 am

((Continued))

paktsardines wrote:Yeah, alright. Sorry dude. On re-reading, my response was more than a little unfair.

No worries. Apology accepted. Hand-shake? :)

MAdMaN wrote:Actually we have some quite competent people on the forum who have looked at what can be modded in the current version of the game and extra floors aren't possible.

Okay. Understood. I mean, I don't know much about coding, but still, I was more talking about the bigger picture and the future. And if that means several years from now with source code and maybe asking my brother to help out with coding in various mods when the game is fully fleshed out someday, then so be it. I might still want to talk about it, though.

It's not negative to make people aware of the pointlessness of discussing something that isn't going to be in the game. It frees those people up to talk about things that are or will be implemented.

Let me guess. And it's all our fault that you had to come in here and waste time by telling us we're being pointless? Am I right? :wink:

Holy hell, man, it is incredibly negative and rude to walk into a room and disrupt someone else's conversation because you find the discussion pointless and want those people to go to other rooms. I'm not sure why you feel that people are not free to discuss other things, though. No one is chained to a single thread. :lol:

Return to “Community Members”