multiple generator dillema?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Miss Stabby
level1
level1

multiple generator dillema?

Postby Miss Stabby » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:05 pm

Currently my prison is too large to be supported by a single (fully upgraded) generator.
Though i have noticed that if i hook one generator to another one they will short each other out.

At the moment i have solved this issue with a workaround of having 2 separate powergrids that are not connected.
Is there a way to actually create a powerstation with like 3 or 4 generators all feeding into the same grid?
iScripters
level2
level2

Re: multiple generator dillema?

Postby iScripters » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:08 pm

Miss Stabby wrote:Currently my prison is too large to be supported by a single (fully upgraded) generator.
Though i have noticed that if i hook one generator to another one they will short each other out.

At the moment i have solved this issue with a workaround of having 2 separate powergrids that are not connected.
Is there a way to actually create a powerstation with like 3 or 4 generators all feeding into the same grid?

What you describe is no workaround, it's the solution. If you'd search this forum you would come across multiple topics describing the same problem, and the only solution is to have multiple power grids.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:30 pm

Said topics will also point out that it's not a problem and it's by design. Don't cross the streams.
Acreyzek
level1
level1

Postby Acreyzek » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:03 pm

paktsardines wrote:Said topics will also point out that it's not a problem and it's by design. Don't cross the streams.

Yes, why on earth would you connect a new generator to one that already pulls max, that would only create more problems if you did that in real life.
Check Six
level2
level2

Postby Check Six » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:33 am

MORE than 4 power grids is possible apparently. My current prison runs four easily. Just don't cross the streams as mentioned previously. If you do have more than one power station, try to have one dedicated (almost solely) to your workshop.

Miss Stabby
level1
level1

Postby Miss Stabby » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:08 pm

this is how my electrical grid currently is setup:

petekob
level1
level1

Postby petekob » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:37 am

Acreyzek wrote:
paktsardines wrote:Said topics will also point out that it's not a problem and it's by design. Don't cross the streams.

Yes, why on earth would you connect a new generator to one that already pulls max, that would only create more problems if you did that in real life.

Untrue, you can connect multiple generators in parallel. I am an electrician. Here is a read:
http://www.dieselserviceandsupply.com/P ... nsets.aspx
henke37
level2
level2

Postby henke37 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:58 am

Correction: it causes trouble if done improperly. You need dumb luck or special equipment to get it working correctly.

Return to “Community Members”