[Suggestion] city

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Merrild
level0

[Suggestion] city

Postby Merrild » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:38 pm

Hi.

How about expanding the map with a city, across the road that we can interract with?
like buying from or send low risk prisoner to work at (ofcause some control will be needed)
set up a farmer marked and see citizen cruise control over the road and buy everything

perhaps have escaping prisoner hide in the city and you can tin out your staff and make a manhunt.

ect ect
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Re: [Suggestion] city

Postby MAdMaN » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:42 pm

Merrild wrote:How about expanding the map with a city, across the road that we can interract with?

We can buy extra plots of land to expand on, so having something on the other side of the road won't work.

Merrild wrote:perhaps have escaping prisoner hide in the city and you can tin out your staff and make a manhunt.

Prison staff don't search for escaped prisoners. That's the job of the police force.
Pogo
level2
level2

Postby Pogo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:46 pm

Yea... prisons are typically run by the Sheriff's department... and the Sheriff's department also typically conducts manhunts for escapees (with assistance from other departments)... but it's two entirely different departments within the Sheriff's department that do these things...

Also... prisons are basically... never located in town. I think it would be interesting for prisoners to leave the prison to do labor, and then come back at the end of the day or end of the work shift... but this could all be simply simulated by loading them on a truck (with a guard for every few prisoners), having the truck leave the map.... then arrive back on the map later...
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:50 pm

Pogo wrote:Also... prisons are basically... never located in town.

Never? Well, I guess that big prison-looking structure almost right in the centre of the city isn't what I thought it was.
Pogo
level2
level2

Postby Pogo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:53 pm

By never... I meant rarely.

Still though, I don't see a city across the street enhancing the gameplay all that much. Think about it... you never deal with the city that your hospital exists in when you play Theme Hospital... yet there's no doubt that your hospital exists in a city.
Merrild
level0

Postby Merrild » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:23 am

how about making everything optional

it could be a game mode, with city satisfaction, chance of civil demonstration or suing madmen that could put that lawyer to good use.

another thing i would like is a investigator to tell me how someone fleed (like showing a route) or how someone died
Azarath
level2
level2

Postby Azarath » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:30 am

There could be much more scrutiny and backlash from an escape from a prison that was city-based rather than middle of the desert, and in case a feature was added where you could throw money at law enforcement to try to recapture/return the prisoner with the aim of dodging escape penalties, city prisons would offer differences in that regard as well.
Provic
level1
level1

Postby Provic » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:58 am

Pogo wrote:By never... I meant rarely.

Still though, I don't see a city across the street enhancing the gameplay all that much. Think about it... you never deal with the city that your hospital exists in when you play Theme Hospital... yet there's no doubt that your hospital exists in a city.

It's really not that uncommon. Most are in dumpy industrial areas, but there are tons of prisons located in major urban centers or their close suburbs. Hell, there's a fairly large federal prison in the middle of Manhattan right near City Hall and another city-run facility not far away. The only ones that are consistently in the middle of nowhere tend to be big maximum security complexes where the added security is worth the cost added of paying so much more for all their services and the inconvenience to staff and visitors who have to drive out to the location.

That being said, I'm not sure it would be advisable to expand the scope of the game to the point where a nearby city would need to be simulated as well.
arwan
level2
level2

Postby arwan » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:01 am

cough

Opened 1868

cough..

yea... when that opened i would put money down that the way corporal punishment worked was COMPLETELY different.. also the way the world worked. (how far people lived from there jobs.. what they did, how it was done etc.) was COMPLETELY different.
i would say look at prisons built after WWII and go from there. as they are mostly going to be more akin to how things work now.

all prisons didn't just open yesterday. you have to look at what the town/ city looked like when that prison opened.. because you cant just pick up and move a prison. but a city can eventually grow around your prison.
Provic
level1
level1

Postby Provic » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:20 am

arwan wrote:cough

Opened 1868

cough..

The MCC in Manhattan was opened in 1975. Urban prisons really aren't as uncommon as you might think, even newer ones; the new designs stand out much less than the old ones and they also tend to be more commonly in industrial areas.

That said, most new higher-security prisons are indeed built in isolated areas these days and I think the decision to use that model is pretty sound. In any case the game design already relies on the prison being in the middle of nowhere so it would be a fairly large scope expansion to allow for construction in an inner-city environment.
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:31 am

arwan wrote:cough

Opened 1868

cough..

yea... when that opened i would put money down that the way corporal punishment worked was COMPLETELY different.. also the way the world worked. (how far people lived from there jobs.. what they did, how it was done etc.) was COMPLETELY different.
i would say look at prisons built after WWII and go from there. as they are mostly going to be more akin to how things work now.

So what you're saying is an old prison still uses the same facilities and punishment methods as when it was first opened? I'm pretty sure old (and even more modern) prisons are updated where available when needed, and Strangeways was refurbished after the 1990 riot destroyed or damaged areas of the prison.

arwan wrote:all prisons didn't just open yesterday. you have to look at what the town/ city looked like when that prison opened.. because you cant just pick up and move a prison. but a city can eventually grow around your prison.

Manchester, as a major part of the Industrial Revolution, was already a well established city by the time the prison was built.
CplHenderson
level2
level2

Postby CplHenderson » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:11 pm

Pogo wrote:Yea... prisons are typically run by the Sheriff's department... and the Sheriff's department also typically conducts manhunts for escapees (with assistance from other departments)... but it's two entirely different departments within the Sheriff's department that do these things...

Well, no. Jails are run by sheriff's officers, not prisons. The difference is that a jail is run by a county or city where the maximum sentence is around one year. It's where prisoners are held until trial (called remand). If convicted of something else, say, murder or assault, they get transferred to a prison. There is an extremely high turnover - you're not likely to have the same prisoners now as you did a month ago. Prisons are run by the state or federal government and have their own corrections officers. Inmates in prisons stay for years at a time. Clearly, the game is for prisons and not jail.

Keep in mind this is ONLY in the United States. In Canada, for example, federal correctional officers guard prisoners in all classes of prisons, no matter how low or high security they are.

Return to “Community Members”