[suggestion] Time-lapse save location and format choice

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

scoutmasterdave
level0

[suggestion] Time-lapse save location and format choice

Postby scoutmasterdave » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:24 pm

It would be nice if that in a future version of the alpha that the time-lapse option also allowed a user to select the destination folder for the time-lapse to be written in and possibly some other smaller format sizes as well for those with smaller hard drives.

My C: drive is a 120GB SSD that I use only for OS and other main programs so it is down to about 3 GB of usable space while my D: drive is a 2TB HDD so I personally can not record a time-lapse at the moment. I would be fine with either option being implemented but some others may not have the option of having a larger hard drive available and may be stuck with limited file space so it would be a neat option to see put into effect.
Collic001
level2
level2

Postby Collic001 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:41 am

I'm sure options like that are coming in the future. You're quite right to ask for them though.

In the meantime, you could run the game at a lower resolution to reduce the filesize. Perhaps also consider installing the game on your larger drive. I don't think it will really benefit from your SSD. If it's running from that drive because steam is installed on your SSD you can download a standalone copy of the latest build from here http://devwiki.introversion.co.uk/pa/in ... /Main_Page and install it. This way you could be making use of the feature at least until you have more space or the option to set a save directory is added.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:20 am

Oh you could make a symlink from your prison architect profile folder to somewhere on your larger drive..
benpowerman
level2
level2

Postby benpowerman » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:51 am

i wish it was record in mp4 format
scoutmasterdave
level0

Postby scoutmasterdave » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:05 am

The program is installed on my D: drive, the problem is it is set to just save straight to the C: in the user data area which would be fine if the time-lapse itself did not eat up so much space.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:49 am

Yep, your best best is to symlink your PA saves folder (or maybe one level higher) to a folder somewhere on your big drive. That will fix it.

See this thread:
forums.introversion.co.uk/prisonarchitect/viewtopic.php?t=1214

Here's some more info:

http://techblissonline.com/vista-create ... -symlinks/
Bamwich
level1
level1

Postby Bamwich » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:56 am

I used XMedia to re-encode my time-lapse. 4 days in prison time - 3gigs on disk re-encoded to 50megs.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia ... code.shtml
Collic001
level2
level2

Postby Collic001 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:29 am

paktsardines wrote:Yep, your best best is to symlink your PA saves folder (or maybe one level higher) to a folder somewhere on your big drive. That will fix it.

See this thread:
forums.introversion.co.uk/prisonarchitect/viewtopic.php?t=1214

Here's some more info:

http://techblissonline.com/vista-create ... -symlinks/

I had no idea you could symlink on ntfs filesystems. I thought it just a linux only quirk/benefit. The more you know.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:05 am

Yeah, my opinion of Windows raised ever-so-slightly when I first realised. It has since sunk back into the sludge. ;)

Return to “Community Members”