This guy has a very good point about PR videos.

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:57 am

Who gets to demand that others meet their standards

Well, see, there's this thing called society. With it comes norms. If you don't want submit to the the demands and norms of society then you get to go and form your own. Rednecks, they're called. Meanwhile our society gets to laugh and point.
Veneke
level1
level1

Postby Veneke » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:32 am

Dosedmonkey wrote:... So to answer your question, I mean, its for everyone!... who is capable of understanding how to play a game of this complexity. I doubt it will have any high age rating on it.

What terribly twisted logic. It's child-friendly to simulate the destruction of all life as we know it but if there's a single vulgar word in there it's offensive? I mean sure, that's kinda the way things have gone, I just struggle to see how anybody ends up there.

Also, vulgar's point might be terribly, terribly expressed; to the point where it's borderline incomprehensible in fact, but he's not wrong. Different cultures have different tolerances for swearing (amongst other things) and indeed often differ in how they swear. The Brits, for instance, are notorious for their preference of bodily functions for use as an expletive while the Yanks seems to favour sexual concepts. So, it is not, in fact, 'pretty well defined logic and acceptance in modern day society' or whatever other 'norm' you've suddenly decided is applicable to every society the world over.

By the way, is there any chance you could resize that image? I'm not sure about everybody else but it's breaking my screen when I try to read the thread.
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:48 am

Profit wrote:Probably got flamed because it started with a parent and their kids seeing a video, which is commonly referred to as a troll for some reason I'll never understand.

It's because whenever there's a video with swearing in it the same text is posted which starts by saying someone watched the video with their child and at some point in the post it mentions the child crying and demands the video uploader not swear.

MAdMaN wrote:Children are too young to understand, and know, what is right or wrong. That is why they don't have the vote, why they have parental care. And generally need guiding, especailly by those they look up to.

Anyway, once you get kids one day, if your a descent parent, I'm sure you'll see where this is coming from.

I have an 11 year old nephew who I see every fortnight. He knows right from wrong, and also knows a huge amount of swear words.
mred209
level1
level1

Postby mred209 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:10 am

Is this about some swears in the videos Chris and Mark make?

Oh get over it. It's a game about prisons, with ridiculously violent inmates and stabbings and beatings and all sorts of unsavoury stuff. It's not meant for kids, and these aren't PR videos the same way as a promo trailer for Ass Creed X is a PR video. It's for people who paid for the alpha.

Get over it, and stop watching them in earshot of children. That's just the kind of game and developer this is. I have absolutely no issue whatsoever. Keep being yourselves, Chris and Mark.
mred209
level1
level1

Postby mred209 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:14 am

EJIBIeEedmCQV28FL1UJRHWR wrote:+1. I know most British people generally are immune to swearing because there is a fucking lot of it in our culture, but really, there shouldn't be a need for 'em, it only cause undue aggravation to people listening.

The British 'ard-lad culture doesn't really have a place on the internet.

Neither Mark nor Chris are remotely connected to "British 'ard-lad culture" - what on earth is that, where did you hear about it, and what made you think it was relevant to a couple of game devs dropping a few colloquial informal swears in the alpha reveal videos for a game that really isn't aimed at kids in the first place?
mred209
level1
level1

Postby mred209 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:16 am

Dosedmonkey wrote:
AgentPaper wrote:Honestly, the kids have heard worse swearing just as much as they've seen worse violence. I don't get why everyone gets all up in arms about swearing, all that does is make it "forbidden" which translates to cool for young kids, making them swear more.

Generally kids listen and hear worse, from what they precieve as bad people, it makes it cool to use it a little with friends, but most wouldn't dare to with their parents. A public figure/idol such as game developers have become, shouldn't be swearing on release videos really, a less the game is a strict 18. Which its just not, its a great game for all ages.

MAdMaN wrote:You choose whether or not to get offended by words. Sure, some are overtly negative, e.g. racial slurs, but others such as swearing have been used so much that they have lost any negative aspects they originally had.

Children are too young to understand, and know, what is right or wrong. That is why they don't have the vote, why they have parental care. And generally need guiding, especailly by those they look up to.

Anyway, once you get kids one day, if your a descent parent, I'm sure you'll see where this is coming from.

It seems to be coming from "I have kids and I'm scared that one day they might hear some swears in a youtube video", which is tantamount to "don't ever do anything bad in case kids see it, regardless of whether kids should be seeing it in the first place", which is kind of ridiculous.
Brayden
level0

Postby Brayden » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:49 am

I don't care what Introversion does eitherway, but swearing neither adds to the content nor takes away from it. If it means that Prison Architect can reach a wider audience, then I'm all for less swearing under that circumstance.
Darky
level0

Postby Darky » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:35 pm

Have to agree. I swear like a trooper but was some what distracted by the swearing.

I think its more the fact that I've never heard them swear in videos before and that there was no warning. Considering IV went from 0% swearing to so much, was quite jarring.

I think its fair to say it was a surprise for everyone and in this instance we cant use the 'oh well you should have expected it' to be a valid defense.

Once again, no issues with swearing (I literally swear every other sentence). Just wasn't expecting it and can understand how some people are disappointed.
vulgarman
level1
level1

Postby vulgarman » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:13 pm

paktsardines wrote:
Who gets to demand that others meet their standards

Well, see, there's this thing called society. With it comes norms. If you don't want submit to the the demands and norms of society then you get to go and form your own. Rednecks, they're called. Meanwhile our society gets to laugh and point.

I like how you indirectly called Chris and Mark Rednecks. I'm glad I can be in their company. They seem like fun people.

Darky wrote:... I think its fair to say it was a surprise for everyone ...

I, for one, was pleasantly surprised.
topleya
level1
level1

Postby topleya » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:57 pm

I swear a lot and agree with the above statement. IV need to bring the swearing down a little.

Honestly I like a little bit of a swear word from software companies, show they are still human, but the level of swearing in some of the videos is too much and unneeded

Also agree with the Brit statement above, we swear a lot. Even to the point that words have become socially accepted to the point of no longer being a swear word, due to us using it so damn much. Even the fucking Aussie's get shocked by us and they take swearing to a whole new level.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:08 pm

vulgarman wrote:Tight asses.

Who gets to demand that others meet their standards? Couldn't the others demand the same of the who?

It's an unwinnable battle, and yet, here we are.

1. No one is demanding anything. Based on what is posted above, someone pointed out that the PR videos, which are a representation of the level of professionalism that can be expected from IV, contain a fair amount of unnecessary swearing. They made the point that they were watching it with their children, and struck by it. They didn't demand that IV change anything. At most, they politely requested a toning down of the language. More to the point, I think that the criticism is fair. Some of the responses are trollish.
  2. In addition to representing IV, the videos serve as advertisements for their products. If their goal is to sell as many copies as possible (which may or may not be their current goal), then they might be wise to moderate their language a bit. By cursing like sailors, they are likely to alienate a portion of their potential audience (perhaps a small portion), and lose sales (again, maybe they don't care about those sales). On the other side of the balance is artistic integrity and IV's identity as a company. IV can choose to ignore the comment, change their language, address the comment but not change anything, or respond in one of many other ways.

xander
Dosedmonkey
level3
level3

Postby Dosedmonkey » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:36 am

mred209 wrote:Is this about some swears in the videos Chris and Mark make?

Try looking at the video everyones talking about before commenting.

Seriously, commenting about something, after starting with a question because your clueless to what were talking about. That just proves the stupidity of people who think swearing that excessively is acceptable on a PR release video.

I've come to this conclusion.

Those who think swearing excessively in a PR release video, which is for a game quite acceptable from those between the ages of 10-18, clearly aren't parent material, and more importantly just selfish arse wits who couldn't give a crap about other peoples situation, until one day some hoodie hopefully spits at them in an under pass and gives them hepatitis or some such, because they hadn't been brought up right (Or if they live in Brixton possibly even set their house on fire).
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:20 pm

Dosedmonkey wrote:a game quite acceptable from those between the ages of 10-18

Double murder and death by electric chair in the tutorial.
Denary
level0

Postby Denary » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:46 pm

As a newcomer to the forum... What video are people having a hissy fit over?

EDIT: Ok now I found it.... So basically you're irritated because your children are on the internet and being exposed to... well swearing. I have had dicussions like this many a time before with people. It's up to the parents to supervise the kids while they are on the internet. There is swearing in most PG13 films nowadays so I don't really see an issue. If you don't like it don't let your kids watch it. That simple.
Dosedmonkey
level3
level3

Postby Dosedmonkey » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:53 pm

MAdMaN wrote:
Dosedmonkey wrote:a game quite acceptable from those between the ages of 10-18

Double murder and death by electric chair in the tutorial.

Also in PG films, very acceptable for 10+ years, especailly in a cartoon format, this point was already covered.

Denary wrote:As a newcomer to the forum... What video are people having a hissy fit over?

EDIT: Ok now I found it.... So basically you're irritated because your children are on the internet and being exposed to... well swearing. I have had dicussions like this many a time before with people. It's up to the parents to supervise the kids while they are on the internet. There is swearing in most PG13 films nowadays so I don't really see an issue. If you don't like it don't let your kids watch it. That simple.

As previously stated, this was out of the norm for them, previously it had been acceptable to kids. And it was to do with good parenting, you can't supervise them 24x7, its more to do with previously this game had always been child/young teen friendly.

Return to “Community Members”