I have a question about Alpha 11 (and not about when)

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

airbrushist
level1
level1

I have a question about Alpha 11 (and not about when)

Postby airbrushist » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:15 am

This might be a dumb question but as someone not familiar with how alpha/beta gameplay works, but will steam automatically update to Alpha 11? Will I be able to use my current save games or will these run the risk of being corrupted? I notice that some folks are still playing on older builds and wonder if there is a benefit to using these older builds. I certainly don't mind making a new prison for the new release, just sort of curious how that process works.
Aryajmarya
level1
level1

Postby Aryajmarya » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:50 am

Steam will automatically update PA. As for save games getting corrupted, it hasn't happened to me before, but I've not been around for too long, so I may have gotten lucky.
Lifes
level1
level1

Re: I have a question about Alpha 11 (and not about when)

Postby Lifes » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:16 am

Steam automatically updates it if you have the game set to "always keep this game up to date."

In my experience, I was able to play my old prison saves and none of them corrupted.
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:51 pm

Lifes wrote:Steam automatically updates it if you have the game set to "always keep this game up to date."

In my experience, I was able to play my old prison saves and none of them corrupted.

^^ This is my experience too. However depending on what features they add or break your old prison design may not work in the sense of being playable.
Azarath
level2
level2

Postby Azarath » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:10 pm

Personally, I start a new map for every alpha. Firstly, eliminates possible false bug reports that occur due to old save file not having parameters of new ones, thus new features not working. Secondly, chance to see any new bugs right from the start, that could be missed if certain objects/rooms are already built.
dethdukk
level1
level1

Postby dethdukk » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:18 pm

If you save up some cash in your prison, you should be able to handle any new needs that might roll in (like laundry in the 9th? update). outside of that, I've never had any issues opening old prisons with new alphas. and yes, steam should update PA automatically.
lugaru
level3
level3

Postby lugaru » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:21 pm

Just to say the last time it was so smooth I did not know it was updated until I loaded the game and looked for the new features.
Lance_Lake
level1
level1

Postby Lance_Lake » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:48 pm

airbrushist wrote:I notice that some folks are still playing on older builds and wonder if there is a benefit to using these older builds.

If you see someone playing an older build, it's because they pirated it. Kindly hack their pinkies off.
Great Magical Hat
level3
level3

Postby Great Magical Hat » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:57 pm

As a paying customer, you can also make the choice to play an older version (though not on steam) but I'll agree that this doesn't happen all that much.
m_wellbring
level1
level1

Postby m_wellbring » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:07 pm

airbrushist wrote:This might be a dumb question but as someone not familiar with how alpha/beta gameplay works, but will steam automatically update to Alpha 11? Will I be able to use my current save games or will these run the risk of being corrupted? I notice that some folks are still playing on older builds and wonder if there is a benefit to using these older builds. I certainly don't mind making a new prison for the new release, just sort of curious how that process works.

Could be that someone doesn't like say the laundry system or guards having to open doors and prefer to play an older alpha where those things didnät exist.
So far I haven't had a savegame break but I usually start a new prison for every alpha to fully explore whatever cahnges that have been made.

Return to “Community Members”