[Feature request] Fix the game

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Sprooty
level1
level1
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 3:20 am

Postby Sprooty » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:46 am

NovaSentinel wrote:I knew that my post, wouldn't make me many/any fans, but i had to share my thoughts about it, since it bugged me for quite a while.

I'm a developer too, only web stuff (JAVA, PHP, Javascript,...). If i upload a version to the dev server, where our customers can get an insight of the product, i make sure that i don't break things, that have been working before. And if i find a bug, i will fix it, while i'm working on it.



Have a read of,
http://forums.introversion.co.uk/prison ... highlight=


Unfortunately, our ideologies are nothing like IV software's.
dahunn
level0
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 10:29 am

Re: [Feature request] Fix the game

Postby dahunn » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:17 am

NovaSentinel wrote:First of all:

I like the game, and i'm playing it since alpha 2 or 3. I have spend countless hours with it.

However, what i just can't get into my head: why are you adding more and more broken stuff, or break even working stuff, instead of fixing things first?

Yes it's alpha, but those obvious bugs like cloning tool, broken laundry (machines), workers clumping, dumb job assignements, pathfinding... i mean... WTF?

The AI is still as dumb as it was in alpha 1, and if i would count the changes you made/features you implemented, then i would barly need a second hand.
I have the feeling that you are already feed. You got your millions of cash, devided by 5 (with this slow pace, i doubt there are more than 5 peaple working) and now you got pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeenty of time to finish it. From my point of view, this game is done by 20% now. So a release for 2016 would be possible.

So please, take your 4 weeks and FIX stuff instead of adding new bugs/features.


quit your whining. The devs saied things will get broken... jeez don't you guys read.....
AgentPaper
level2
level2
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 2:04 am

Postby AgentPaper » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:53 am

Sprooty wrote:
NovaSentinel wrote:I knew that my post, wouldn't make me many/any fans, but i had to share my thoughts about it, since it bugged me for quite a while.

I'm a developer too, only web stuff (JAVA, PHP, Javascript,...). If i upload a version to the dev server, where our customers can get an insight of the product, i make sure that i don't break things, that have been working before. And if i find a bug, i will fix it, while i'm working on it.



Have a read of,
http://forums.introversion.co.uk/prison ... highlight=


Unfortunately, our ideologies are nothing like IV software's.


This isn't a matter of ideology, it's a matter of you not understanding how game development works. :roll:
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:17 pm

AgentPaper wrote:This isn't a matter of ideology, it's a matter of you not understanding how game development works. :roll:

Or, perhaps more accurately, it is a matter of not understanding how game development at IV works. There might be other organizations that lay things out in a way that is more to Sprooty or NovaSentinel's liking. Those organizations are not making Prison Architect, however, which leaves them a bit SOL.

xander
Chewbacado
level2
level2
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:47 pm

Postby Chewbacado » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:56 pm

If I become a mod, can I put my name at the end of all my posts?




Chewy
When in doubt, you are probably right. The only right person. In fact, you are probably right as of right now!
acegamer08
level3
level3
Posts: 425
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:13 pm

Postby acegamer08 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:16 pm

Chewbacado wrote:If I become a mod, can I put my name at the end of all my posts?




Chewy


you just did...sort of (more like a nick name, i guess)
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:08 pm

Chewbacado wrote:If I become a mod, can I put my name at the end of all my posts?




Chewy

I'm not a mod, and I put my name at the end of my posts...

xander
Sprooty
level1
level1
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 3:20 am

Postby Sprooty » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:49 am

xander wrote:
AgentPaper wrote:This isn't a matter of ideology, it's a matter of you not understanding how game development works. :roll:

Or, perhaps more accurately, it is a matter of not understanding how game development at IV works. There might be other organizations that lay things out in a way that is more to Sprooty or NovaSentinel's liking. Those organizations are not making Prison Architect, however, which leaves them a bit SOL.

xander


Perhaps myself and NovaSentinel are simply making some suggestions to IV software. As two people who do work in the Software Development industry, we generally see what does and doesn't work and have decided to offer this feedback to IV.

It is quite clear how IV software works and will probably continue to work.

The aim of my original post was to provide some constructive criticism which may lead to the release of some better alpha versions. If IV continues to grow, things will need to change eventually.





I wonder if IV were demoing PA at E3 with the siren constantly blaring?
User avatar
paktsardines
level5
level5
Posts: 1752
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am
Location: Australia

Postby paktsardines » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:02 am

I'm not a mod, and I put my name at the end of my posts...


He also puts his name at the end of other people's posts...



xander
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:38 am

Sprooty wrote:...better alpha versions.

This, right here, is what I don't get. What do you mean by a "better alpha version"? One that is more playable? That is explicitly not the goal that IV are shooting for... IV do have some experience, and I assume that Chris has some idea about what works for him. You need to stop assuming that the released alphas have anything to do with anyone other than Chris. As long as the meet his needs, I would say that they are the best possible alpha versions.

xander
Great Magical Hat
level3
level3
Posts: 486
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:57 pm
Location: Netherlands

Postby Great Magical Hat » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:46 am

paktsardines wrote:He also puts his name at the end of other people's posts...


I wonder how he does that...

xander
User avatar
paktsardines
level5
level5
Posts: 1752
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am
Location: Australia

Postby paktsardines » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:15 am

I must be a mod after all.


xander
User avatar
VoiD88
level5
level5
Posts: 1001
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:24 am
Location: Soltau, Germany
Contact:

Postby VoiD88 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:08 am

Or a hacker.


xander
Life is NOT like a box of chocolates, it's more like a jar of jalapeños: What you do today might burn your a** tomorrow.
~Garfield
Lance_Lake
level1
level1
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:15 pm

Postby Lance_Lake » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:53 pm

xander wrote:Why was your post offensive? "Retard" is a slur that has been aimed at people with diminished mental capacity for decades. It is of a category of words that is populated by such things as "cunt," "nigger," and "kike." The difference is that the people against whom it is used often lack the capacity to defend themselves. It's like kicking a puppy. Maybe there is no one in your life who is mentally disabled, and maybe you have never seen the effect that such language can have on such people, so perhaps you are simply ignorant instead of intentionally malicious. The fact of the matter remains: your post was offensive.


Xander, This may clear it up. He wasn't calling you a retard, he was referencing this scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wVagQ_LVd4

He was saying in a funny way that your idea is not logical since alpha is for adding things. Not for fixing things.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:41 pm

Lance_Lake wrote:Xander, This may clear it up. He wasn't calling you a retard, he was referencing this scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wVagQ_LVd4

He was saying in a funny way that your idea is not logical since alpha is for adding things. Not for fixing things.

I am familiar with the original context of the quote. That doesn't excuse it. As I said above, perhaps there is no one in your life who suffers from a mental disability and has been called a retard (among other things) on the playground, so you can be forgiven for not knowing how hurtful it can be. That said, it is still offensive. Perhaps my original tone was a bit too flippant, but I think that we have a right expect better from each other than the slinging of slurs (racial, sexual, ethnic, or otherwise).

xander

Return to “Community Members”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests