Remove name in the game prisoners

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Should you be able to disable Name-in-the-Game prisoners?

Yes
85
52%
No
80
48%
 
Total votes: 165
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:29 pm

vulgarman wrote:
xander wrote:Is this a big deal? Only for the most petty of individuals. But to claim that no one is hurt is untrue. It would be better to say something like "The amount of harm done is minimal, and only effects those petty customers who really, really want ...."

To not see whatever type of bio in the game.

Way to miss the point.

It was argued that no one is harmed if the name-in-game names are removed. I noted that people who paid to have their name in the game are harmed (however minor the harm is). I did not comment at all on whether or not anyone is harmed by including name-in-game names, which is what you are arguing. This is the converse statement, and is in no way related to what I said.

xander
User avatar
Ric666
level3
level3
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:12 am
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Postby Ric666 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:54 pm

People have spent their own money on getting a higher tier to get the name they want in the game.

Whether the OP or anyone else dislikes some of them or has a problem with it.....well that's sort of just tough luck. The money is paid, the names are in.

Can't see IV wanting to refund them as a few people have problems with some of the descriptions for not living up to their high literary expectations ;)
There should be a screening to make sure they're not too offensive for younger people but that's probably as far as it would go.

Don't want to sound like a knob or anything but yeh, that's the way it is.
User avatar
VoiD88
level5
level5
Posts: 1001
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:24 am
Location: Soltau, Germany
Contact:

Postby VoiD88 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:57 pm

Ric666 wrote:There should be a screening to make sure they're not too offensive for younger people but that's probably as far as it would go.

I'm actually hoping there will be a thorough screening of all of them shortly before release, where they also fix typos, properly assign prisoner names (which some entries have messed up royally :P) and correct all-caps bios and that sort of thing. Would severely improve quality of the whole thing without having to remove any entries, but if they do this sort of thing, I guess it won't happen until right before release.
Life is NOT like a box of chocolates, it's more like a jar of jalapeños: What you do today might burn your a** tomorrow.
~Garfield
User avatar
111none
level4
level4
Posts: 970
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:32 am
Location: Wangjing, Beijing, Peoples Republic of China

Postby 111none » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:57 pm

I wonder if this is where we as a community can help pitch in and edit these...
With the sincerest regards,
111none
Kentonio
level0
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 5:30 am

Postby Kentonio » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:30 pm

Easy solution would just be for the names and bios to be in an exposed text file or csv in the game directory. Then people could manually change them if they wished, but Introversion wouldn't be compromising their promise to customers.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:54 pm

Kentonio wrote:Easy solution would just be for the names and bios to be in an exposed text file or csv in the game directory. Then people could manually change them if they wished, but Introversion wouldn't be compromising their promise to customers.

They already are. ;)

I don't know where Windows keeps its files (or Linux, for that matter), but if you are running MacOS X, right-click on the application bundle (i.e. "Prison Architect.app") and select "Show Package Contents." A new Finder window will appear. Navigate to Contents/Resources and open up "names_in_the_game.txt" with a text editor. Note, however, that this file has the potential to be changed every time the game is updated (which could be frequently if you have the Steam version and IV decides to be a dick about leaving names in).

xander
HerrJoebob
level4
level4
Posts: 750
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:57 pm
Location: Oregon

Postby HerrJoebob » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:05 am

xander wrote:
Kentonio wrote:Easy solution would just be for the names and bios to be in an exposed text file or csv in the game directory. Then people could manually change them if they wished, but Introversion wouldn't be compromising their promise to customers.

They already are. ;)

I don't know where Windows keeps its files (or Linux, for that matter), but if you are running MacOS X, right-click on the application bundle (i.e. "Prison Architect.app") and select "Show Package Contents." A new Finder window will appear. Navigate to Contents/Resources and open up "names_in_the_game.txt" with a text editor. Note, however, that this file has the potential to be changed every time the game is updated (which could be frequently if you have the Steam version and IV decides to be a dick about leaving names in).

xander


Thanks for the tip, what happens if you delete that file or blank it out?
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:46 am

HerrJoebob wrote:Thanks for the tip, what happens if you delete that file or blank it out?

I haven't a clue. Why don't you try it, and report back here?

xander
HerrJoebob
level4
level4
Posts: 750
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:57 pm
Location: Oregon

Postby HerrJoebob » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:31 am

xander wrote:
HerrJoebob wrote:Thanks for the tip, what happens if you delete that file or blank it out?

I haven't a clue. Why don't you try it, and report back here?

xander


Looks like it's compiled into main.dat on Windows, and it doesn't bother me enough to try messing with that. :)
User avatar
paktsardines
level5
level5
Posts: 1752
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am
Location: Australia

Postby paktsardines » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:27 am

Main.dat is a rar file.

Regardless, you don't need to mess with it. Just create a 'data' directory in the same directory as your prison architect .exe. Creating a 'names_in_game.txt' file in your data directory will override the corresponding names_in_game.txt file in your main.dat archive *








* actual paths/filenames may vary (see contents of main.dat to resolve)
ZenCrazy
level0
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:43 pm
Location: Canada

Postby ZenCrazy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:38 am

I agree- names should remain in the game, BUT they should conform to a standard format!

ie: first and last names should be capitalized (but not all capitals!) or fit any real world format; ex: Jones, Bon Jovi, de Silva, MacPhearson, Wazowzki, Ngu, Suzuki, etc.)

Please no, XXroxxorzXX, jONES, or 3L1t3X0101, or whatever in the first and last name slots!!

Nicknames can be *shudder* whatever (see above! ><) :P

That is my vote!
Commence forum signature activate go!
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:15 am

ZenCrazy wrote:...first and last names should be capitalized...

According to what conventions? For instance:
ZenCrazy wrote:... de Silva

Derp?

I see no reason to enforce any particular standard, aside from a requirement that the names contain only characters that can be rendered by the game. Proper punctuation and grammar in the bios would be an added plus, but I am not a stickler. Again, people paid to have their names appear, entries that you don't like are easily ignored, and if it pisses you off too much, there are already ways of dealing with it.

xander
praguepride
level1
level1
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 11:31 pm

Postby praguepride » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:22 pm

Why are we even talking about this? They can't just remove the names from the game without gutting customer trust for future kickstarters/donations/tiers kind of thing.

Just roll your eyes and if it really bothers you lock them in solitary for being silly. Keep in mind that this is still ALPHA and as people who have names entered have said they entered these in as placeholders rather then final copies.

I'm sure many of them might wish to update once they see the shape and tone of the game come Beta but now is not the time to raise issue. The dev's said 'pay X and get your name in the game and those people paid X... seems pretty cut and dry to me.[/i]
ZenCrazy
level0
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:43 pm
Location: Canada

Postby ZenCrazy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:15 am

xander wrote:
ZenCrazy wrote:...first and last names should be capitalized...

According to what conventions? For instance:
ZenCrazy wrote:... de Silva

Derp?


According to real world conventions (as stated). See my above examples and add a 1st name in front of them, if that helps. ex. Tom Jones, Mario de Silva, Pash McPhearson, etc.

xander wrote:I see no reason to enforce any particular standard, aside from a requirement that the names contain only characters that can be rendered by the game. Proper punctuation and grammar in the bios would be an added plus, but I am not a stickler. Again, people paid to have their names appear, entries that you don't like are easily ignored, and if it pisses you off too much, there are already ways of dealing with it.

xander


I think the reason is an aesthetic/quality control one.
The fact that one person paid (min.) $20 extra shouldn't give them the ability to detract from the overall product for the rest of the player base by creating visually annoying, irksome, or flat out offensive "names". (Some aren't so easily ignored :P )

Yes, they paid for the privilege of having their name in the game- that's great! Just have it follow some guidelines, required format, or quality control standards etc.

Plus, like I said, the nickname portion of their name should be where they can type anything they want (that isn't offensive).

Either way, it isn't a huge deal for me, just a quality issue I think would be simple to apply, and would improve the overall product and would still allow players to have their names in the game! :P

As far as offense goes, bios should definitely be screened for content! (I'm talking racism, hate mongering, etc.)

I agree about the bios, proper spelling and punctuation would be great, but mostly it's the content that concerns me.

But, like you say, it's something that's relatively easy to ignore, and I don't really care, I just think it would be an easy to implement improvement.
AgentPaper
level2
level2
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 2:04 am

Postby AgentPaper » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:26 am

Here's a tip if you're annoyed by stupid/poorly written entries: Instead of taking the entries as a true account, take them as something written by the prisoners themselves. When it says "in prisan for killin da presidant!!1one!", just remember that that's what the prisoner wrote down when the guards told him to write down his bio. The crimes listed are what he's actually in for.

Given the antics that the prisoners pull pretty much constantly, it's not hard to imagine half of them would fill out their name as XxXHaXkZoRsZXxX

Return to “Community Members”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests