Lack of Basic Testing

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Causeless
level2
level2

Postby Causeless » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:33 pm

But that's why it's alpha. I'm fairly sure that when they upload a build of the game, they've made changes to it just the hour before, they don't screen (and don't have to). If thy fixed all these bugs for each alpha, it'd be harmful more than anything else. They don't know the exact implementation of features, so why fix a bug when the next update will potentially completely overhaul it anyways?
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:38 pm

I don't want to test bang up/lockdown at all. It seems like an unrewarding pain in the ass. It's not my job, I don't have to do it and there's no great reward if I did it in this state. Why not wait until next month to tell them what I don't like about it?
Collic001
level2
level2

Postby Collic001 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:35 am

Mas Tnega wrote:I don't want to test bang up/lockdown at all. It seems like an unrewarding pain in the ass. It's not my job, I don't have to do it and there's no great reward if I did it in this state. Why not wait until next month to tell them what I don't like about it?

Your attitude stinks, and practically no one agrees with what you're saying. Let it drop already. You can be sure the developers certainly won't listen to you considering how you come across.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:09 am

The contrary opinions stink and you don't speak for the entire group.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:11 am

Collic001 wrote:
Mas Tnega wrote:I don't want to test bang up/lockdown at all. It seems like an unrewarding pain in the ass. It's not my job, I don't have to do it and there's no great reward if I did it in this state. Why not wait until next month to tell them what I don't like about it?

Your attitude stinks, and practically no one agrees with what you're saying. Let it drop already. You can be sure the developers certainly won't listen to you considering how you come across.

Seriously? Mas has very cogently laid out an entirely reasonably point of view. You might disagree with him, but that is no reason to tell him to shut up. And there is no fucking way that you can possibly speak for the developers.

xander
fintle
level0

Postby fintle » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:26 am

It's an alpha. They'll fix it. If you get in a twist over this stuff, wait until release. I think the bugs in this game are hysterical.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:59 am

fintle wrote:It's an alpha. They'll fix it. If you get in a twist over this stuff, wait until release. I think the bugs in this game are hysterical.

You misunderstand. The complaint is not that the game has bugs, but rather that the game has easily detectable bugs, which indicates to some that the developers are not properly vetting releases before they are put into the wild. While I don't personally believe that the developers are releasing new builds with zero testing, I can certainly understand those that believe that not enough testing is being done by the developers. I don't personally agree, but I understand the point of view.

xander
p0p0c4t3p3t3l
level0

Postby p0p0c4t3p3t3l » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:19 pm

LOL ... guys never go full retard!

Yep, there are easily detectable bugs but who says that it is an easy fix?!
Guess they stick to a certain roadmap releasing there alphas at certain dates.

Everybody should just be happy that they let us test the game.
If you don't want to be Alpha tester don't play it.
Cral
level0

Postby Cral » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:56 pm

Causeless wrote:But it was already known to work, and any bugs will have been reported long long ago. Anyways, that argument about testing could be applied to features not yet implemented too. Surely it makes more sense to get new features pushed out ASAP for testing instead of a relatively small, already extensively tested feature?

We have no idea how difficult the fix may have been, either to find or implement, either - all the posts here make it out to be incredibly simple, but we don't know that.

Really, if anyone here saying the reason they are pissed about the lack of clone tool is testing purposes, that's a bare-faced lie. We all know everyone wants it for gameplay purposes.

A feature that worked weeks ago but hasn't been tested due to a blocker bug won't necessarily work the same when that bug is fixed. Code 'rots' to some extent because changes to seemingly unrelated features can break code in areas you wouldn't expect. I also doubt that a bug created during a very small release window could be particularly time consuming to fix, especially if the bug was caught quickly.

I'm not pissed about anything, I'm saying that as a general approach it's a bad idea to leave features broken for weeks, using the clone tool as an example.

Causeless wrote:But that's why it's alpha. I'm fairly sure that when they upload a build of the game, they've made changes to it just the hour before, they don't screen (and don't have to). If they fixed all these bugs for each alpha, it'd be harmful more than anything else. They don't know the exact implementation of features, so why fix a bug when the next update will potentially completely overhaul it anyways?

Nobody is saying they should fix every bug in the game, but the critical/blocker issues should be resolved so the people playing/testing the game can access all of the existing features. It's an approach to development that fits in with the frequent alpha releases.

It's worth mentioning as well that the latest build is an advert for the game, the better it is the more people will talk about it and the more it'll sell. It's in the interest of the devs to keep the build quality high.
Causeless
level2
level2

Postby Causeless » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:49 pm

Is having a non-working clone tool critically destroying the playability of the game?
Cral
level0

Postby Cral » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:33 pm

Causeless wrote:Is having a non-working clone tool critically destroying the playability of the game?

The clone tool has been used as an example since it's broken in the latest build, the general point is that it's beneficial for the devs and the testers to have all features working to at least some extent, so the game as a whole can be tested.

As a counter-example, the laundry room is fairly broken but it's a new feature, so it's understandable that the developers would put it out there in a broken but usable state and get bugs/feedback from the community.

Return to “Community Members”