Policy on naming after real life political prisoners

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

kommissarw
level0

Policy on naming after real life political prisoners

Postby kommissarw » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:04 am

I have one in mind, John Kiriakou, the CIA Whistleblower on Torture.

For the sake of copywrite headaches, I would think we would have to change the name probably unless we got permission the guy. I'd like to put his name out there & basically draw attention to his issue.

I have not bought this level of support yet. But in a few days I will have the funds to upgrade my contribution.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:24 am

I think IV will want to steer clear of issues such as that since they're a game company trying to make an upfront and yet realistic game while making sure they don't cross the wrong lines, they aren't trying to gain petitions for a cause regardless of whether or not that person may be entirely in the right and completely innocent.
Yes, that is a penguin with rabies. Deal with it.
kommissarw
level0

Postby kommissarw » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:34 am

I honestly don't think its possible to avoid politics entirely with this game. This covers an issues of public policy, so I wouldn't even try.

Seen the Devs vid on steam? "The Prison Industrial Complex" was mentioned - Not ducking & hiding from politics at all. Their political stance was brazen & up front.

Even the tutorial touched on the both sides of the Death Penalty debate whilst putting the player in the drivers seat to make it happen. They avoided the issues of miscarriage of justice, lack of legal representation, crappy education, & other disadvantages of death row prisoners - It was one prisoner that they focused on inorder to create a compelling story.

Most definitely the Devs could avoid controversy & avoid referencing a current political prisoner - but why start now..:lol:

I don't think it would hurt their sales, any controversy might even help....
Dosedmonkey
level3
level3

Re: Policy on naming after real life political prisoners

Postby Dosedmonkey » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:24 am

kommissarw wrote:I have one in mind, John Kiriakou, the CIA Whistleblower on Torture.

For the sake of copywrite headaches, I would think we would have to change the name probably unless we got permission the guy. I'd like to put his name out there & basically draw attention to his issue.

I have not bought this level of support yet. But in a few days I will have the funds to upgrade my contribution.

Why would you want to name it after a real person? Its a cartoony game..... :shock:
kommissarw
level0

Postby kommissarw » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:41 am

Because:

1. Some people get imprisoned for bad reasons.

2. This guy, John Kiriakou & what he stood up for deserve a little spotlight.

The graphics might have a cartoony style, the subject matter is anything but light. Its not like it would be spoiling the mood now would it?
Dosedmonkey
level3
level3

Postby Dosedmonkey » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:26 am

Not being funny, this game is really not the place to try and make a political statement. If anything, people will just treat him even worse in the game. :roll: :roll: Try going to the United Nations, or some other real world organisation. Or make a petition, or chain yourself to some fence. I don't know. Something people might notice?
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:45 am

This is a game, IV has enough publicity, I see no need to add to it negatively, as something as small as this is just like the "No Russian" Level in Modern Warfare 2, Rapelay ,Or Postal 2.This would end up with IV in deep political shit, as well as legal shit. :roll:
With the sincerest regards,
111none
praguepride
level1
level1

Postby praguepride » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:27 pm

Adding real names would require permission for their likeness to be used. Considering the targets would be 'criminals' I don't think many would be willing to let a bunch of anonymous people get pleasure out of imprisoning and torturing them.

In addition, it opens the game up to all sorts of legal issues and IV has no reason to step into that legal minefield. I believe you can rename your prisoners so you can always 'mod' your game and add OJ Simpson or Jeffery Dahmer or whomever you wish but from a legal standpoint IV would be dumb on a bun to include real named prisoners.

You 'could' argue for famous deceased prisoners but still...why bother?
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:03 pm

Again, IV has no need to have any type of political/legal backlash
111none
Dosedmonkey
level3
level3

Postby Dosedmonkey » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:19 pm

Yeah legal, and I don't think IV want the CIA turning up at their place, or more likely having themselves hacked by some agency.
namj13
level2
level2

Postby namj13 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:34 pm

Someone could make a "mod" with the names, replacing the standard list with a variety of first/last names from famous prisoners, that way you could get a real name, but it would "randomize".
--Namj13
Great Magical Hat
level3
level3

Postby Great Magical Hat » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:35 pm

namj13 wrote:Someone could make a "mod" with the names, replacing the standard list with a variety of first/last names from famous prisoners, that way you could get a real name, but it would "randomize".

It wouldn't even need to be randomized, really.
namj13
level2
level2

Postby namj13 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:06 am

Great Magical Hat wrote:
namj13 wrote:Someone could make a "mod" with the names, replacing the standard list with a variety of first/last names from famous prisoners, that way you could get a real name, but it would "randomize".

It wouldn't even need to be randomized, really.

What I meant was that the name list for the game, not the user inputted ones, takes a random first/last name combo from the list. Unless there is a way around this, we would have to hope the names randomize together, or we'd all have to input said names into the "name in game" system.
--Namj13
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:11 am

I think we can all agree that the execs responsible for the disastrous Simcity Launch are an exception. ;)
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:50 am

paktsardines wrote:I think we can all agree that the execs responsible for the disastrous Simcity Launch are an exception. ;)

no its EA in general
111none

Return to “Community Members”