Alpha 10 - Too easy , no challenge

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

twisteddman
level1
level1

Alpha 10 - Too easy , no challenge

Postby twisteddman » Fri May 31, 2013 6:07 am

I DLed the new Alpha today and built a small prison. It contains 76 prisoners. I have not had one complaint let alone any fights at all during the game. My only issue is getting some prisoners to go back to work after lunch.

I know some people were having difficulty with Alpha 9, but this is ridiculous. I feel like my prisoners are mindless robots now
callmediego
level0

Postby callmediego » Fri May 31, 2013 6:18 am

Maybe you are too efficient a warden?
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Fri May 31, 2013 6:35 am

Haven't tried alpha 10 yet, but I was wondering if having the 'thermometer' visible might make the game too easy.
AgentPaper
level2
level2

Postby AgentPaper » Fri May 31, 2013 6:43 am

I think the idea is that the general populace won't cause many problems on their own, but instead outside factors or special occasions will cause disruptions that then cause the general populace to cause problems.

It may also be a matter of balance, but it's definitely meant to be that if you build your prison correctly, you don't have to do anything to manage it's day to day functioning.
twisteddman
level1
level1

Postby twisteddman » Fri May 31, 2013 7:08 am

AgentPaper wrote:I think the idea is that the general populace won't cause many problems on their own, but instead outside factors or special occasions will cause disruptions that then cause the general populace to cause problems.

It may also be a matter of balance, but it's definitely meant to be that if you build your prison correctly, you don't have to do anything to manage it's day to day functioning.

Yeah I suppose that is possible. The fun I was having with the game was trying to build my prison so that it worked efficiently , while trying to keep the prisoners in line. Now I dont have to keep them in line.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Fri May 31, 2013 7:20 am

Do you think it would be more challenging to keep them in line if the 'thermometer' wasn't visible? I suspect it would be more suspenseful/atmospheric, where the only visualisation of 'anger' is when it manifests through the prisoners.
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Fri May 31, 2013 7:23 am

Take it easy, this game should stay approachable and not go the Dwarf Fortress route of 'certain death unless you memorize the wiki'...
twisteddman
level1
level1

Postby twisteddman » Fri May 31, 2013 7:30 am

paktsardines wrote:Do you think it would be more challenging to keep them in line if the 'thermometer' wasn't visible? I suspect it would be more suspenseful/atmospheric, where the only visualisation of 'anger' is when it manifests through the prisoners.

I did not even notice a thermometer or know what it is. So no , I guess
twisteddman
level1
level1

Postby twisteddman » Fri May 31, 2013 7:34 am

HerrJoebob wrote:Take it easy, this game should stay approachable and not go the Dwarf Fortress route of 'certain death unless you memorize the wiki'...

I dont want it to be impossible, just challenging. Alpha 9 was challenging. It was hard to keep your prison together without some micromanaging and dealing with angry prisoners while you build. Not now. I even kept the intake of prisoners on until I hit 45 or so before backing it off to get time to build a few things.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Fri May 31, 2013 8:47 am

Take it easy

Uh.... what? I was taking it easy... Not having played alpha 10 I was just genuinely asking for his opinion. I suspect you inferred tone where there was none.
Dosedmonkey
level3
level3

Postby Dosedmonkey » Fri May 31, 2013 9:04 am

It should be easy currently, we are basically playing a sandbox mode. You want the scenarios/missions to make the game different levels of challenging. Not the bog standard Alpha test of the basics. Try making a difficult scenario for others to play similar this...

(Scenario) Tyhollow Castle

:lol:
Great Magical Hat
level3
level3

Postby Great Magical Hat » Fri May 31, 2013 9:42 am

AgentPaper wrote:It may also be a matter of balance, but it's definitely meant to be that if you build your prison correctly, you don't have to do anything to manage it's day to day functioning.

While it's clear that this should be possible, I would like making a prison that runs without you not to be an easy things. I feel it should be easy to run a prison where you keep a watchful eye and respond to any problems arising, but the "overnight challenge" should be hard.

I don't know whether this is in line with Chris's vision for the game. I used to think it was, but I don't really have any evidence for it.
xngxng
level1
level1

Postby xngxng » Fri May 31, 2013 9:56 am

I havent tried Alpha 10 yet either, but it sounds nice that it is possible to create a functioning balance within the prison. This will make possible future additions of random events and such stirring things up.

Do you still have to pay salary for the dozens of dead guards the new riot-system will create?
Ric666
level3
level3

Postby Ric666 » Fri May 31, 2013 10:15 am

Did you only let in low risk prisoners?

I've not started a new prison under Alpha10 yet(using old ones just now) but I don't feel it's easier. Although I didn't have much time to play it last night unfortunately.

also, what day are you on out of interest?
Uglybob
level0

Re: Alpha 10 - Too easy , no challenge

Postby Uglybob » Fri May 31, 2013 10:28 am

twisteddman wrote:. My only issue is getting some prisoners to go back to work after lunch.

I have issues going back to work after lunch :D

Return to “Community Members”