Alpha 10 out this thursday :)

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

rsdworker
level3
level3

Postby rsdworker » Thu May 30, 2013 1:25 pm

yeah i love updates but sometimes they delay for good reason but i hope they don't
TomFadge
level1
level1

Postby TomFadge » Thu May 30, 2013 1:49 pm

Thats why Im happy to support and pay for indy games when they're still in development. Big companies like EA are pure greed and one of the reasons why Im so bored with the games market right now. I remember when I used to be excited for new releases, now it feels like every game released is just a rehashing of whatever was popular last year, with restrictive DRM and overpriced DLC. Very rarely will I go into a game shop and see something on the shelf that looks even slightly innovative. Big game companies always go the safe route, games are made to please as many people as possible but as a result they never take risks.

It seems like indy games have seen a huge rise in popularity over the last few years. Im getting excited about games again because of stuff like this. Paying for a buggy alpha version of a game and getting way more enjoyment from it than any of EAs multi-million dollar releases feels like Im sticking one big middle finger up at all the corporate gaming greed.

...Sorry any time someone mentions EA I go into rant mode when I think of all the money Ive wasted on their terrible products :roll:

As for the devs lack of communication. I would expect it when we are getting near a big update. I expect they are bugfixing and finalising and whatever else and dont have time for chit-chat.
GreenGriffin
level1
level1

Postby GreenGriffin » Thu May 30, 2013 2:08 pm

TomFadge wrote:As for the devs lack of communication. I would expect it when we are getting near a big update. I expect they are bugfixing and finalising and whatever else and dont have time for chit-chat.

Even brain surgeons have 15 seconds to post an update on Twitter. That's not chit-chat, it's a one way communication on their progress.

Your early backers deserve at least as much.
obrhms
level1
level1

Postby obrhms » Thu May 30, 2013 2:11 pm

I too am obsessing about when a10 will come out :)

I took a look at the past release blog posts. I assume those are done rather timely after release (but I don't know?). Judging from past data, we should get alpha10 sometime in the GMT+0 afternoon.

Code: Select all

GMT+0 (UK)
Alpha9 released         24 April 2013,          11:05:00
alpha8 - ON STEAM       20 March 2013,          17:21:00
Alpha 7 RELEASED        21 February 2013,       13:33:00
Alpha6                  30 January 2013,        11:48:00
Alpha 5                 14 December 2012,       11:05:00
Alpha 4 released        19 November 2012,       16:12:00
alpha-3 released        01 November 2012,       13:55:00
Alpha2 released         18 October 2012,        15:40:00

edit: I'm perfectly happy with them not wasting time telling us what is going on.. they will post the result asap and that's what I care about. It's gonna happen!!!
randommonicle
level1
level1

Postby randommonicle » Thu May 30, 2013 2:56 pm

*Waits with baited breath* :D:D:D:D:D
NascgiGale
level1
level1

Postby NascgiGale » Thu May 30, 2013 2:58 pm

randommonicle wrote:*Waits with baited breath* :D:D:D:D:D

What kind of bait are you using? I hear spinners work good for pc games, but I've never tried myself.
sheepdemon
level0

Postby sheepdemon » Thu May 30, 2013 3:26 pm

GreenGriffin wrote:
TomFadge wrote:As for the devs lack of communication. I would expect it when we are getting near a big update. I expect they are bugfixing and finalising and whatever else and dont have time for chit-chat.

Even brain surgeons have 15 seconds to post an update on Twitter. That's not chit-chat, it's a one way communication on their progress.

Your early backers deserve at least as much.

They did that yesterday when they tweeted that there would be a release today. If there is nothing more to update you on what would you like them to tweet? A second by second countdown on the Alpha release time? Their bowel movements?

This is what I'm talking about when I say that some people seem incredibly entitled. The early backers deserve nothing more than the chance to test the game and a copy of the final game when it is released. That is what you were promised when you signed up, and IV have more than delivered on this from the day you gave them funds until now. Monthly alphas with updates the likes of which have been added to PA are way beyond anything that was promised when we signed up and I for one am grateful that the guys are releasing another one. That they don't post on twitter every time they add another line of code to the game shouldn't cause you to feel like they are neglecting you.
xngxng
level1
level1

Postby xngxng » Thu May 30, 2013 3:33 pm

F5 F5 F5 F5 F5.. repeat until win
addess765
level0

Postby addess765 » Thu May 30, 2013 3:54 pm

xngxng wrote:F5 F5 F5 F5 F5.. repeat until win

LOL.. i did it also..
already 10pm here..
have 2 go 2 work tomorrow and im still 'obsessedly' waiting now..
acegamer08
level3
level3

Postby acegamer08 » Thu May 30, 2013 4:01 pm

addess765 wrote:
xngxng wrote:F5 F5 F5 F5 F5.. repeat until win

LOL.. i did it also..
already 10pm here..
have 2 go 2 work tomorrow and im still 'obsessedly' waiting now..

between 2 and 9 hours left to go
christhekiller
level3
level3

Postby christhekiller » Thu May 30, 2013 4:14 pm

Dammit I want it out now!
pipeek
level1
level1

Postby pipeek » Thu May 30, 2013 4:15 pm

Guys - relax.. They have to to make up some jokes, record video, upload to youtube... It takes time :P
djd206
level0

Postby djd206 » Thu May 30, 2013 4:19 pm

pipeek wrote:Guys - relax.. They have to to make up some jokes, record video, upload to youtube... It takes time :P

Too much time.I have been waiting all day.
xngxng
level1
level1

Postby xngxng » Thu May 30, 2013 4:24 pm

here's a toplist to watch while waiting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLkE7Mr7__I
GreenGriffin
level1
level1

Postby GreenGriffin » Thu May 30, 2013 4:45 pm

sheepdemon wrote:They did that yesterday when they tweeted that there would be a release today. If there is nothing more to update you on what would you like them to tweet? A second by second countdown on the Alpha release time? Their bowel movements?

This is what I'm talking about when I say that some people seem incredibly entitled. The early backers deserve nothing more than the chance to test the game and a copy of the final game when it is released. That is what you were promised when you signed up, and IV have more than delivered on this from the day you gave them funds until now. Monthly alphas with updates the likes of which have been added to PA are way beyond anything that was promised when we signed up and I for one am grateful that the guys are releasing another one. That they don't post on twitter every time they add another line of code to the game shouldn't cause you to feel like they are neglecting you.

Know what amazes me? The fact that people like you can't distinguish between an update once a week, and a Twitter comment every other minute. There's a bit of a difference. Nobody asked for an update once an hour 24/7, and we certainly aren't asking for updates about every bowel movement. I know this is hard for the more argumentative among you to believe, but there actually is some middle ground.

And I have news for you, testing an alpha isn't a privilege. They asked for us to take a leap of faith in them and pay them in advance while we play a buggy game, and we did. The least we could get in return is a few sentences once week, using whatever medium tickles them. They tweeted yesterday that an update was coming out today? Congratulations. We've gone weeks being left completely in the dark. I've been in plenty of alphas, including ones for indie titles from small developers, and I've never been left in the dark like this. Not even remotely close.

The bottom line is if we've gone a full month between alphas and we *still* have no idea what they've been working on or what to expect, any reasonable person would agree that communication needs to be vastly improved.

If you can't understand that, then don't even waste your time with a counter post.

Return to “Community Members”