Auto placing of lights

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Tue May 21, 2013 10:40 pm

VoiD88 wrote:It's quite easy: Watch the job queue; when the workmen have finished adding the last tile to a foundation, immediately pause the game. The building will still convert from finished foundation to finished building, even while paused. After it has converted, cancel all the light jobs, then unpause the game again and you won't be charged.

Oh hrm, I always wait for the foundation to fill in; I was too scared to do the cancel while it's still a solid block of green. I'll give it a shot tonight :)

TBH I never minded having the lights in storage since they'll be used eventually, but now I'm curious.
iamaplayer
level1
level1

Postby iamaplayer » Wed May 22, 2013 11:58 am

I like the auto placing of lights. It saves me a lot of work...
So maybe an option to toggle it on and off? So everybody would be happy.
GodBlock
level1
level1

Postby GodBlock » Wed May 22, 2013 3:42 pm

^ Yes that's exactly what I suggested :)
misterhaan
level1
level1

Postby misterhaan » Thu May 23, 2013 4:16 pm

i actually use far fewer lights than it auto-places. so i lay foundations for a cell block and it queues 20 lights which i promptly cancel and then place 3 of them back. i'll try the trick with pausing at the right point to avoid it buying 17 extra lights i might not use -- i'm also not into having lots of extra lights hanging out in my storage and deliveries areas.

of course an option (maybe with the continuous intake and fog of war options) to not queue lights would be even better.
Collic001
level2
level2

Postby Collic001 » Thu May 23, 2013 4:36 pm

This has been suggested before lots of times. I'd love to see an option that let you disable automatic light placement when building foundations. I'm sure they will get to it in time.
praguepride
level1
level1

Postby praguepride » Thu May 23, 2013 5:01 pm

The ai goes overboard with lights, building x2 or x3 as many as you really need. In addition once you start building walls they can interfere with light placement.

Given how easy it is to footprint lights I think removing the badly placed AI lights is more work then just doing it myself.
thestalkinghead
level1
level1

Postby thestalkinghead » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:25 am

acegamer08 wrote:That's an interesting idea. Basically, when you lay a foundation, if there's any planned walls inside of it, the workers would automatically build those walls.

that would be nice[/quote]

that would be good, and also along with the ability to turn off automatic lighting, an option to choose if the walls are concrete or brick would be good, because at the moment concrete walls are either ugly (because they don't match the rest of the walls) or expensive (because you have to replace the walls) it's only an aesthetic thing at the moment and not a big deal but it would be good
Pjatras
level0

Re: Auto placing of lights

Postby Pjatras » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:09 pm

I'd like to see this too!
Last edited by Pjatras on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
redd
level1
level1

Postby redd » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:09 am

I hate the autoplacing of lights almost as much as I hate the plot dimensions being evenly divisible by two. :(
sburymozza
level1
level1

Postby sburymozza » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:30 am

I have no issue wit auto placing lights, only place i dont keep them is in the cell blocks but all communal places are left were they are, quick click drag cancel, as soon as foundations finished and the money is taken soon stops the lights being placed
Flint
level2
level2

Re:

Postby Flint » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:56 am

mMaster wrote:I think it's a good idea.

When i build a large structure, i need to clic on light one by one to cancel installation.
It's not to bad because i reuse all light and it's take me 5-10 seconds to cancel light installation.

But i think it's good idea to have more option for the foundation menu.

1. Normal foundation like now (foundation,wall,light)
2. Foundation without light (foundation,wall)
3. Bulldoze

Should also include an option to choice between a concrete or brick wall foundation.
goodvibesman
level1
level1

Postby goodvibesman » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:07 pm

You know what I would love to see?

The Planning mode being expanded on.

Turn Planning into a way for players to plan an entire building before it's even built. Allow the player to plan objects, materials and lights (To prevent awkward light placement by default) in advance and have the game show them a quota of how much it's going to cost to build from the ground up and if possible, to be able to tell the workmen to start construction on your newly planned and decorated building whenever you want.

This would allow the player to know how much a certain building/expansion is going to cost and makes it easier for them to build because they already planned it, so when they have money to actually make it it's only a click away and the workmen start building it.
RGeezy911
level5
level5

Postby RGeezy911 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:26 am

Last edited by RGeezy911 on Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RMJ1984
level2
level2

Postby RMJ1984 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:31 pm

Something i think that planning mode could use was.

When you plan out a building, you have the options to plan light as well. when you then draw your foundation above the planned area.

They make all the walls and light you have placed in planning mode.
yos233
level1
level1

Postby yos233 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:24 pm

To you guys who are having light problems, you can right-click-and-drag over your newly completed foundation to group cancel every light due to be constructed.

Return to “Community Members”