[Suggestion] Controversial Suggestion

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Hamen
level1
level1

Postby Hamen » Mon May 27, 2013 3:07 am

Throw it all in and make it optional.
Win - Win - Situation
AgentPaper
level2
level2

Postby AgentPaper » Mon May 27, 2013 3:14 am

Hamen wrote:Throw it all in and make it optional.
Win - Win - Situation

Except for the loss of development time spent implementing the features that many people wouldn't use.

Not that I'm against death penalty in the game, it's just if you're going to implement something, it needs to be worth it.
Jacq
level1
level1

Postby Jacq » Mon May 27, 2013 3:02 pm

Collic001 wrote:Theres no nice way to end a life.

That right there, should be the name of a scenario about this very isssue.

I agree with the lethal injection only looking like its humane. As I understand it, vital organs are disabled, making the person die slowly, rather than fast.
On another note, I seem to remember some stories about hangings, where, if the person survived the fall, where let free, as it was seen as an act of god.
xngxng
level1
level1

Postby xngxng » Mon May 27, 2013 4:53 pm

What about having policy-choices when creating a map, forcing the player (architect) to follow those guidelines.

One of those policies could be the type of deathsentence, if any, or a policy of having no death penalty.

Other policies could involve foodquality, health, clothing and workhours/environment.

And beyond that, random policies could make for some varied games.
Bluewingsniper
level1
level1

Postby Bluewingsniper » Mon May 27, 2013 9:36 pm

Petrini wrote:
Ric666 wrote:Developed countries don't use the older/barbaric killing methods anymore(ie: hanging/guillotine).

Developed countries doesnt use the death penalty anymore...

are you saying the USA is not a developed country?

I think that the more a player can customize their own prison the happy they are. some days i may want to see a head roll down the stairs, other days i want a prisoner to be shot multiple times after they kill my stuff in a riot. it may not be "politically correct" but some people just want to see the world buy. Humm where did i leave that ax at?
namj13
level2
level2

Postby namj13 » Tue May 28, 2013 2:15 am

Bluewingsniper wrote:
Petrini wrote:
Ric666 wrote:Developed countries don't use the older/barbaric killing methods anymore(ie: hanging/guillotine).

Developed countries doesnt use the death penalty anymore...

are you saying the USA is not a developed country?

I don't think we should resort to a philosophical debate here, because the whole concept of "developed/first world' is based on a Eurocentric lens of society; we should rather debate if these additions would improve game quality, or the final product in some way other than aesthetics.
--Namj13
Hamen
level1
level1

Postby Hamen » Tue May 28, 2013 2:36 am

Exactly, this is not political science class. This is a top down "god game". I say throw in lots of historical prison features and make it educational as well. This game is already shaping up to have some educational value about the prison industrial complex and it's inner workings. Prison Architect has great potential to be one of the classics, so why throw away an excellent opportunity to go down in gaming history?

Also, to the guy who mentioned loss of development time, what a joke that is.
AgentPaper
level2
level2

Postby AgentPaper » Tue May 28, 2013 3:15 am

Hamen wrote:Exactly, this is not political science class. This is a top down "god game". I say throw in lots of historical prison features and make it educational as well. This game is already shaping up to have some educational value about the prison industrial complex and it's inner workings. Prison Architect has great potential to be one of the classics, so why throw away an excellent opportunity to go down in gaming history?

Also, to the guy who mentioned loss of development time, what a joke that is.

It's not a joke exactly because you can't simply "throw in" features. Everything in the game has to be put in by hand, piece by piece, and then further worked on to test, refine, and balance that feature not only on it's own, but in relation to the entire rest of the game. If it was really so simple to add features, games would be finished in a matter of hours, rather than months and even years.

Development time is one of the most important factors of game design, and ignoring it will leave you with a half-baked, unfinished game, or vaporware that is never released.
Nightwolf42
level0

Postby Nightwolf42 » Tue May 28, 2013 4:54 am

I find it amusing that people are debating about the appropriateness of this "feature", but this is the intention of this game the developers want anyways. The point of this game is to choose your your prisoners live and die. It is very different in every country. Hell, some people live in a country where hanging, or flat out be-headings would be considered perfectly fine! There are going to be people that say that electrocutions are worse than hangings. Having a piss party over the prospect of sending your prisoners to the electric chair? Forbid executions via electrocution in your prison! Don't believe in executions? Forbid them from your prison, and it will not receive death penalty prisoners. These issues are intended to be tackled in the game, not in the forums. I assure you, the devs will give you the options of how you choose, or do not choose to perform executions. If they were to allow executions with guillotines in the game, and the side effect of them were to be a huge pool of blood where the head was chopped off, I bet you that some psycho "wardens" that choose to play this game will actually select this execution style just because they love watching literal bloody murder on the screen...

So prison is a very controversion subject even to this day, and we have the chance to play this game and run a prison according to our political and moral beliefs. If you say we shouldn't be allowed to do this or we can't do that, it would take that unique element of the game out. If we believe in the death penalty, it would be a true annoyance if the devs were to take that ability away from us. It is up to us, the players of the game, to decide how to run these simulated prisons, not the developers, so allow them to give us all the options, real and perhaps fantasy, and we will develop a model prison that represents our moral standard, and perhaps our idea of entertainment? Or dear...

Does anybody second this opinion or point of view?
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Tue May 28, 2013 6:35 am

Nightwolf42 wrote:tl;dr about some philosophical stuff

Bottom line, the devs used an execution story as a provocative topic to get some press and make a heck of an intro movie. They nailed that and since then have avoided the issue. Who knows what they intend? In any case execution means very little unless we can dispose of the bodies.

I think I lost track of my point there.
praguepride
level1
level1

Postby praguepride » Tue May 28, 2013 7:38 pm

Keep your ethics and philosophy out of my sandbox game. If I want to create some kind of hippie utopia where everyone is a free happy rehab commune, I should be able to.

If I want to make a brutal gulag where the smallest infraction meets confinement and death, I should be able to.

And, more likely, the rest of us will be interested to explore everything in between.

Should there be multiple methods of execution? Yes, assuming the mechanics are different enough to warrant inclusion. Something as simple as "Public" execution (i.e. hanging, firing squad) vs. "private" executions (injection, electrocution) should have an impact on A) Prisoner Morale, B) Staff Morale, C) Public Perception of Prison?

If there isn't going to be any depth in executions then no, there shouldn't be any different methods. Just an execution room where people die.
lunaticneko
level2
level2

Postby lunaticneko » Wed May 29, 2013 8:17 am

I think the "game's" preference of execution methods could depend on the scenario. For example, if your scenario is 1980s, the public demand for injection would be lower than 2000s. Some cases may causes the public to request public or broadcast execution, which may affect your standings with the government (i.e. how much budget you get).

Finally, there could be an eerie scenario of a forced brown-out during electrocution. All lights and utilities stopping for a prisoner to die could warrant some weird crap from prisoners...

Prisoner A (pickpocket): What's that brownout again bro?
Prisoner B (drug addict): Well... it's a prison legend.
Prisoner A: Can you tell me?
Prisoner B: When someone passes away by execution, the prison turns off all lights so the executed one doesn't see the executioner, in addition to face cover, that is.
Prisoner C (fraudulent electrical engineer): No, that's not it. The generator is simply not strong enough to supply the entire prison at once. When a prisoner is executed by electrocution, all lights have to turn off. Think about it.
Prisoner B: But I'm sure the executed prisoners still roam the prison though. They appear at night only because the execution chamber went dark during electrocution and they had to die in darkness.
Prisoner C: Trust me. I'm an engineer. Think about it.

Prisoner A did not get any sleep that night.

Jokes aside, the different methods of execution could be a result of resource requirements for each method.
NamedomRan
level0

Postby NamedomRan » Thu May 30, 2013 7:11 pm

christopher1006 wrote:
CplHenderson wrote:Something extremely controversial - but still interesting - would be running a world war 2 concentration camp.

A concentration camp wouldn't be that controversial as even the US used them in the second wold war.. though I suspect you mean a death camp.

Maybe on the prisoners tab of the reports section, one type of prisoner would be death row prisoners? OF course if death row prisoners were the only ones you chose to get, then it would sort of be like a death camp.

Return to “Community Members”