[Suggestion] Controversial Suggestion

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

nwtassales
level1
level1

[Suggestion] Controversial Suggestion

Postby nwtassales » Sun May 19, 2013 8:38 am

I had an idea to add different methods for execution for example: Gas Chamber, Guillotine, Firing squad, lethal injection or hanging. If all these options were added to the game it could be a limited option where you can only chose one method for your prison.

Thanks
Chad
level3
level3

Re: [Suggestion] Controversial Suggestion

Postby Chad » Sun May 19, 2013 2:09 pm

nwtassales wrote:I had an idea to add different methods for execution for example: Gas Chamber, Guillotine, Firing squad, lethal injection or hanging. If all these options were added to the game it could be a limited option where you can only chose one method for your prison.

Thanks

Gas Chamber? Guillotine? Firing Squad? Hanging?

Really? Can't see any benefits in using brutal death methods...
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Sun May 19, 2013 2:24 pm

The firing squad could make sense if when the game was completed maybe we had a military prison as a DLC. Lethal injection makes sense as an alternative though. While the U.S. did use gas chamber quite awhile ago so you could 'technically' add them I think that may open up a can of controversy over this game that can easily be avoided merely by not adding the feature.
Yes, that is a penguin with rabies. Deal with it.
namj13
level2
level2

Postby namj13 » Sun May 19, 2013 2:27 pm

Chad wrote:Gas Chamber? Guillotine? Firing Squad? Hanging?

Although it may be barbaric, the latter two methods are still used around the world, in countries such as Iran and China. Here in the USA, firing squads have been used as recently as 2010, hangings in 1996 and "lethal gas" in 1999. I also don't see benefit in using the first two, nor do the other types appear to have anything other than aesthetic differences from electrocution.
--Namj13
Petrini
level1
level1

Postby Petrini » Sun May 19, 2013 6:29 pm

tbh the guillotin is probably the most human execution methods of those mentioned... instant & painfree death.
FourWinds
level1
level1

Postby FourWinds » Sun May 19, 2013 9:05 pm

Petrini wrote:tbh the guillotin is probably the most human execution methods of those mentioned... instant & painfree death.

Not sure about this. I recall reading about a guy who was executed in the French Revolution who asked someone to pick up his head after the deed as he was planning to blink for as long as he could after!!! The 'account' I read said he went on blinking for quite some time.
CptES
level0

Postby CptES » Sun May 19, 2013 11:26 pm

FourWinds wrote:
Petrini wrote:tbh the guillotin is probably the most human execution methods of those mentioned... instant & painfree death.

Not sure about this. I recall reading about a guy who was executed in the French Revolution who asked someone to pick up his head after the deed as he was planning to blink for as long as he could after!!! The 'account' I read said he went on blinking for quite some time.

From what I recall it was believed at the time that the man lived for about 11 seconds after decapitation. Of course today we'd just attribute it to muscle spasms after death.
xsuite
level1
level1

Postby xsuite » Mon May 20, 2013 3:03 am

Chad wrote:
nwtassales wrote:I had an idea to add different methods for execution for example: Gas Chamber, Guillotine, Firing squad, lethal injection or hanging. If all these options were added to the game it could be a limited option where you can only chose one method for your prison.

Thanks

Gas Chamber? Guillotine? Firing Squad? Hanging?

Isn't a large point of this game to tackle real-world issues? Just because the graphics are cartoony, doesn't mean it's a children's game and that players should be shielded from "brutal death methods". In real life, there are are a myriad of of execution methods, and with the exception of the guillotine, all of the methods nwtassales mentions are still in usage today throughout the world. It's a fact of life, and considering this game has been funded and played by gamers from all across the world, I think some variability in different methods might actually be a valued addition. For example, I live in a country where the electric chair is widely considered cruel and inhumane- if I could I would much rather have a more humane method like lethal injection in my own prison.

I think it's also worth noting the illogical point you make about "brutal executions" when the electric chair is one of the most brutal execution methods there is, and it's the only one included in PA.
Great Magical Hat
level3
level3

Postby Great Magical Hat » Mon May 20, 2013 3:48 am

An even larger point of the game is its gameplay. And in fact that's the problem with this suggestion: unless it the extra execution methods really add something to the gameplay, they have no place in the game.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Mon May 20, 2013 12:21 pm

Great Magical Hat wrote:An even larger point of the game is its gameplay. And in fact that's the problem with this suggestion: unless it the extra execution methods really add something to the gameplay, they have no place in the game.

Since PA is based mostly off of American Prisons in the modern day the only two things off of the OP's list that would make sense is lethal injection in addition to the electric chair which will offer players a choice inside of the choice to have a facility for execution. This new choice would be about does the player want to end it 'humanely' with lethal injection albeit at a higher monetary cost or do they just want to give the condemned every volt you can squeeze in to that chair?
Yes, that is a penguin with rabies. Deal with it.
Ric666
level3
level3

Postby Ric666 » Mon May 20, 2013 12:57 pm

I would support lethal injection but the rest are not used in the type of prisons we are building. Developed countries don't use the older/barbaric killing methods anymore(ie: hanging/guillotine).

Currently we can't even use the one that's in the game just now so any additions to this would be coming way down the line.
stianf
level2
level2

Postby stianf » Mon May 20, 2013 1:49 pm

Ric666 wrote:Currently we can't even use the one that's in the game just now so any additions to this would be coming way down the line.

I was just thinking about why they discussed even more additions to something that doesn't work! I think we should let the devs see what they want to do, when they do it and if they do it.
xsuite
level1
level1

Postby xsuite » Mon May 20, 2013 2:46 pm

Great Magical Hat wrote:An even larger point of the game is its gameplay. And in fact that's the problem with this suggestion: unless it the extra execution methods really add something to the gameplay, they have no place in the game.

I'm not sure that really makes much sense. A good example would be in the large variety of floor types. There are only 3 basic types, offering multiple differences in gameplay- three types of speed, differences in the aesthetics of the graphical tiles, and the cost.

Those game play differences can definitely be present in the implementation of execution types. Some execution methods are cheaper, have less rates of failure, some may even hurt your prison's reputation.

Imagine if you were able to choose execution types- say you chose Firing Squad- as it's ridiculously cheap, and you really only need some guards, some rifles and ammo, and a post to tie the condemned. The condemned is fired upon, but the guards have missed his vital organs- he doesn't die immediately, he actually just severely injured. Possibly taken to the medical ward and they'll try again tomorrow. The player now could be fined huge amounts of money or get some of those Penalty Points as a result of the botched execution, all as a result of the player choosing the cheapest method, not having enough trained guards in the execution, and not saving up enough money to splurge on a more expensive but more reliable execution method.

You're not very creative if you can't see how multiple methods can add numerous elements to gameplay.
Great Magical Hat
level3
level3

Postby Great Magical Hat » Mon May 20, 2013 6:53 pm

First off, I'm not saying that there aren't ways to make these different execution methods be different in the game or that I can't think of ways to do so. What I'm saying is that the one suggesting this should include the uses for the methods in the suggestion, or it isn't much of a suggestion at all. I also think you're underestimating the matter of creating a number of options that creates a good amount of friction in the different directions, making there isn't a best choice. All of this of course has be set out against how much it actually improves the game.

xsuite wrote:I'm not sure that really makes much sense. A good example would be in the large variety of floor types. There are only 3 basic types, offering multiple differences in gameplay- three types of speed, differences in the aesthetics of the graphical tiles, and the cost.

That's a good point. I should have added an exception for purely aesthetical changes. There's several things that make them actually a better fit to the game:
1. They require very little to no new programming, making them less work over all and also just no work by the programmer.
2. They actually add something to the game: allowing players to customize what the prison looks like (a little)
3. If placed correctly, people are used to this and won't be asking themselves why they would choose one floor type over another (for example), while if methods are completely different, they probably will.
Petrini
level1
level1

Postby Petrini » Mon May 20, 2013 7:53 pm

Ric666 wrote:Developed countries don't use the older/barbaric killing methods anymore(ie: hanging/guillotine).

Developed countries doesnt use the death penalty anymore...

Return to “Community Members”