Permanently working, not complaining?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

JamieD_1992
level0

Permanently working, not complaining?

Postby JamieD_1992 » Mon May 06, 2013 4:13 pm

Not sure if this is classed as a bug so I'll post it here to see if anyone else has found this.

I made an average prison with 35 prisoners and I had a good regime so no-one ever complained. This got a little predictable and so I decided to see what it would take to break my prison. I set the regime to work 24 hours a day thinking this would annoy the prisoners and cause a riot or at least some fights.
But after 24 hours of constant work, all the needs were in the red but they were not complaining at all, just getting on with the work forever, even when I sacked every member of staff they still just kept working. It was only when I set the regime to shower time all day when they then decided to flip out and start fighting.

Again, not sure if this is technically classed as a bug so I thought I'd see if anyone else has found this out.
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Mon May 06, 2013 4:44 pm

Interesting approach! :)

I think this is known to be incomplete; I don't have a source for that but I remember hearing that the prisoners won't attempt to satisfy needs or complain while working.
acegamer08
level3
level3

Re: Permanently working, not complaining?

Postby acegamer08 » Mon May 06, 2013 4:56 pm

JamieD_1992 wrote:Not sure if this is classed as a bug so I'll post it here to see if anyone else has found this.

I made an average prison with 35 prisoners and I had a good regime so no-one ever complained. This got a little predictable and so I decided to see what it would take to break my prison. I set the regime to work 24 hours a day thinking this would annoy the prisoners and cause a riot or at least some fights.
But after 24 hours of constant work, all the needs were in the red but they were not complaining at all, just getting on with the work forever, even when I sacked every member of staff they still just kept working. It was only when I set the regime to shower time all day when they then decided to flip out and start fighting.

Again, not sure if this is technically classed as a bug so I thought I'd see if anyone else has found this out.

i wondered if that would cause problems (24-hr work)...i wanted to try it, but feared what would happen the second i changed the schedule.

so the second you changed them they fought???...all day shower, thats a recipe for disaster (they only need an hour at a time to minimize fights)
JamieD_1992
level0

Postby JamieD_1992 » Mon May 06, 2013 5:27 pm

They were fine working all the time, but the moment I changed it to all day shower they got naked and started fighting. It was hilarious to see all the prisoners get naked, streak into the shower and proceed to beat the crap out of each other.

In summary:
All day working = No complaints
All day showering = Naked fighting
vulgarman
level1
level1

Postby vulgarman » Mon May 06, 2013 5:32 pm

That's the best part of shower time, it can be a gladiatorial battle to the death.
Great Magical Hat
level3
level3

Postby Great Magical Hat » Mon May 06, 2013 5:58 pm

They are unable to fight while working at the moment, so that's what you're noticing. It seems to me that this is something Chris is aware of, possibly intending to make the fights involve working materials and otherwise just a result of the fact that working was rushed into Alpha 9.

(At least, I think so. The fact that slow moving laundry basket is a rather easy bug to fix would be a good example of how it wasn't really done done when Alpha 9 was released. Unless, of course, the current speed was intended rather than a bug.)
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Mon May 06, 2013 6:18 pm

Great Magical Hat wrote:(At least, I think so. The fact that slow moving laundry basket is a rather easy bug to fix would be a good example of how it wasn't really done done when Alpha 9 was released. Unless, of course, the current speed was intended rather than a bug.)

I can't imagine it being intended, it seems more like a post-alpha balancing/playability issue.
Great Magical Hat
level3
level3

Postby Great Magical Hat » Mon May 06, 2013 6:48 pm

HerrJoebob wrote:I can't imagine it being intended, it seems more like a post-alpha balancing/playability issue.

When I said intended, I didn't so much mean intended for the final release as intended for now. However, because I have a theory (and one I'm fairly sure about, at that) what would be the bug that causes the slow speeds and the speed is exactly what you would expect from that bug, I don't believe this was the way they wanted it even for alpha 9.

Of course, it's very possible they did notice the bug, realized what was causing it, but decided not to fix it because it was harder to fix than I'm guessing or because they thought the current speed was just fine for now.
Guvnor
level2
level2

Postby Guvnor » Mon May 06, 2013 7:00 pm

Chris mentions in the Alpha 9 video that during work time the prison is becalmed. Although he does not specify the extent to which. (Sounds like fighting is totally disabled for the moment during work time.)
Great Magical Hat
level3
level3

Postby Great Magical Hat » Mon May 06, 2013 7:17 pm

Guvnor wrote:Chris mentions in the Alpha 9 video that during work time the prison is becalmed. Although he does not specify the extent to which. (Sounds like fighting is totally disabled for the moment during work time.)

Just re-watched and they talk about how they're planning both malicious uses for and accidents with job materials, but nothing about "drugged up" working prisoners.
Guvnor
level2
level2

Postby Guvnor » Mon May 06, 2013 11:49 pm

You are absolutely right. They say that malicious activities are planned for work time but not yet implemented. I guess I inferred it.

Return to “Community Members”