Suggestion: Sink and Toilet Paper

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

stianf
level2
level2

Suggestion: Sink and Toilet Paper

Postby stianf » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:26 pm

Hi

When I see the prisoners pooing without washing their hands, I think "WOW, they're gonna get sick" but they dont. Just add a sink to the game, and this pointless thing isn't pointless anymore ;) Also, toilet paper ;D You have to pay for toilet paper. At the end of the peeing/pooing, they use toiletpaper and then they go and wash their hands. Some people might have the trait "Unhygenic" or something like that (think I mispelled it) and they doesn't wash hands and rarely use toilet paper.

Sinks:
Sinks should stay in the side of the toilets. Without a sink, the prisoners get sick when they eat (3% chance) and their health is gonna drop a small bit everyday. The player got 2 choices: A: Take him to the doctor (Costs 50$) or B: Do nothing. If the prisoner gets in a fight or touches other prisoners, they will get sick too. (15% chance) The sickness wores off after some time, but it is very risky not doing anything. Also, if a sick prisoner uses a sink the next prisoner using the same sink might get sick.

Toilet Paper:
The prisoners use toilet paper after they have been on the toilet. It is automatically purchased, if you haven't checked on "Buy toilet paper automatically" in the finance tab in the reports menu. If they don't have it, the same effect as if no sink happens.

Sickness:
Sicknesses has to be treated by using medical syringes. Syringes are drugs, so high security around the infirmary is important. The rarer the sickness a prisoner has, the more expensive the syringe(s) is. All medical treatment is not available at the start. Some treatment gets researched after a set amount of time. This is there to give a bigger challenge.

!! GOT ANY IMPROVEMENTS? FEEL FREE TO POST. !!
Last edited by stianf on Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
namj13
level2
level2

Postby namj13 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:04 pm

That could be added to the Doctor Overhaul post someone made about having illnesses added, if a prisoner doesn't have sinks or toilet paper, the chance of sickness could increase.
--Namj13
Comrade Suhov
level1
level1

Postby Comrade Suhov » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:07 pm

It's a prison, not 3-star hotel! My prisoners already complain way too much and I wish there was guard brutality setting anywhere so I can max it for the cost of extra lawyers and janitors (to clean blood). They got upset because of lack of freedom? IN MY HIGH-SEC PRISON?! How cute, isn't it?
cueball909
level1
level1

Postby cueball909 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:25 pm

I think you may be a bit OCD about your hand washing. While everyone knows it's a good idea, a 35% chance to get sick when eating after not washing hands is incredibly extreme. It's probably closer to .0035%. What do you think people did in Africa, the cradle of civilization, for millions of years? Water is hard to find and time and labor intensive to transport for use. I'd wager that virtually nobody in third world countries wash their hands before eating and they're not dropping like flies (not from that, anyway).
stianf
level2
level2

lol

Postby stianf » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:36 pm

I wrote 35 ;D Meant 3!
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:05 am

I think that it has to be more than prisoner health dropping 5 points every day when not healed. Perhaps multiple disease types instead? Some diseases that spread fast but don't kill quick while others that spread slow but are extremely deadly and have a few rare ones thrown in that will spread fast and kill fast if the player doesn't contain them quickly. There could also be a system of Vaccines and Cures as well, over time you will be able to unlock multiple cures and vaccines after having researched the doctor so that if you have an outbreak of a rare highly infectious yet fatal disease that you didn't want to research the cure for because it cost too much then it will become a race against time before the quarantined staff and prisoners might try something to escape that quarantine. The interesting part of vaccines would be that they cost substantially more to research but if you do you can have crates of them shipped to medical so that you can inject every prisoner that comes in with a custom set of vaccines to prevent the ability of that disease to spread. Though just researching it won't earn you free boxes of the vaccine, you'll have to buy each box and the rarer the disease the more it's going to cost you and you'll have to consider who the high risk prisoners really are and if you really need to give them an immune system that lives up to it's name.
Yes, that is a penguin with rabies. Deal with it.
stianf
level2
level2

Postby stianf » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:26 am

Yea, and maybe (to make it a challenge) some syringes and medicines aren't researched by the world and you can't buy it until they research it. Something like a timeline.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:31 pm

stianf wrote:Yea, and maybe (to make it a challenge) some syringes and medicines aren't researched by the world and you can't buy it until they research it. Something like a timeline.

Sounds similar to Tropico where as the timeline progresses you unlock more and more items to make your life and the lives of your people significantly easier/miserable. I'd go for that.
Yes, that is a penguin with rabies. Deal with it.
stianf
level2
level2

Postby stianf » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:41 pm

Thought only I playd Tropico :-D
gpgekko
level1
level1

Postby gpgekko » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:09 pm

stianf wrote:Thought only I playd Tropico :-D

Depends, if you played Tropico 2 you might be the only one :P
stianf
level2
level2

Postby stianf » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:38 pm

We're going off topic here ;D Lets stay focused!

!!
NEW:

Sicknesses
!!
BarxBaron
level0

Postby BarxBaron » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:23 pm

gpgekko wrote:
stianf wrote:Thought only I playd Tropico :-D

Depends, if you played Tropico 2 you might be the only one :P

Implying Tropico 2 was bad when it was way better then Tropico 3 and it's recycled sister game , "Tropico 4" (aka Tropico 3 - The money grab).

I'm sorry pirates are too awesome for you to handle ;)
gpgekko
level1
level1

Postby gpgekko » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:26 pm

It's just a failsafe tactic to get the Tropico fans to identify themselves ^^

stianf wrote:We're going off topic here ;D Lets stay focused!

!!
NEW:

Sicknesses
!!

Oke, back on topic: I think the idea is oke, but I don't think this kind of topics are really relevant yet. No mechanic is refined yet to this type of details, so really I would prefer to wait till we get to that point before speculating about it. Right now the bigger lines are still not fully set out yet (or at least, that's how I feel about it).

On a side note, really, why are you worried about prisoners not washing their hands and using toilet paper while your staff never makes a sanitary stop in the first place? :P

Return to “Community Members”