Imrovements to doors

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Would you want to see these in the game?

Yes
75%
No
6%
Only one way doors
No votes
Only time controlled doors
19%

Total votes: 53
Prisoner_24601
level0

Imrovements to doors

Postby Prisoner_24601 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:10 pm

At the moment doors are a bit of a nuisance, the staff door and the addition of guards having to open doors is brilliant but..

I've been thinking that one major addition to the game that could have an impact is having a door that opens at specific times or only will let prisoners pass through one way which would help to create a one way flow or a more automatic prison system, as I seem to be having to unlock doors so that the prisoners don't just get backlogged when they all go to shower for example.

another idea for doors is using the switch to close a whole row of door for a cell block from a switch like in real prisons, this would help to control the flow or even to lock-down of a particular cell block but not the whole prison which could be useful during a large fight.
just ideas but who knows?

cheers if you read this and post if you think its any good. :)
Last edited by Prisoner_24601 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
notsatan
level1
level1

Postby notsatan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:24 pm

I think it would be nice to have the option to use both of those added at some point.
Tarenty
level1
level1

Postby Tarenty » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:35 pm

Complicated mechanics idea for automated doors: http://forums.introversion.co.uk/prison ... php?t=2146

Definitely would like some way to lockdown specific cell blocks at once, so a few troublemakers don't escalate any problems into a full-blown prison-wide riot.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:10 am

Tarenty the OP doesn't just mean the automatic open at certain times, the subject also is about giving more options so that prisoners may be able to leave the cell block but not run back in to it to get away as well as being able to automatically open doors without guards constantly rushing to them so you can secure areas but without having to have patrols nearby to manage.
Yes, that is a penguin with rabies. Deal with it.
gpgekko
level1
level1

Postby gpgekko » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:33 am

I'd say they should implement a bit more of a stricter regime first. I don't know much about prisons, but I'm pretty sure prisoners are typically told to step out of their cells and walk in a nice line to the nearest door. I doubt running around like in the game, crowding the doors so guards can't reach them is allowed in any prison.

(Quick Google search, not the best photo to illustrate what I mean)

It would solve a few problems I'd say.
lawn
level0

Postby lawn » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:51 pm

If the guards aren't running around opening doors, the staff would have to wait until the timer goes off no?

What I want, is new a new room type only for "kitchen storage". :lol:
That way cooks can stay a little more isolated.
Prisoner_24601
level0

Postby Prisoner_24601 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:12 pm

christopher1006 wrote:Tarenty the OP doesn't just mean the automatic open at certain times, the subject also is about giving more options so that prisoners may be able to leave the cell block but not run back in to it to get away as well as being able to automatically open doors without guards constantly rushing to them so you can secure areas but without having to have patrols nearby to manage.

yeah that's basically what I'm getting at and I know that its still early days for PA but hopefully one day we could have lines we could make the prisoners stand on a line and wait to enter their cells such as this,

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/03/ ... 34x843.jpg
Tarenty
level1
level1

Postby Tarenty » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:31 am

christopher1006 wrote:Tarenty the OP doesn't just mean the automatic open at certain times, the subject also is about giving more options so that prisoners may be able to leave the cell block but not run back in to it to get away as well as being able to automatically open doors without guards constantly rushing to them so you can secure areas but without having to have patrols nearby to manage.

I'm aware of that, but the suggestion included automated doors as well, so I figured I'd stick my idea in there. Note I commented on another of his proposed door changes as well.

Prisoners standing in lines may be a bit more realistic, but that sounds to me like it would be much less interesting gameplay. Some level of chaos is required to keep the challenge and excitement.
gpgekko
level1
level1

Postby gpgekko » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:20 pm

Tarenty wrote:

I'm aware of that, but the suggestion included automated doors as well, so I figured I'd stick my idea in there. Note I commented on another of his proposed door changes as well.

Prisoners standing in lines may be a bit more realistic, but that sounds to me like it would be much less interesting gameplay. Some level of chaos is required to keep the challenge and excitement.

I agree, the chaos is fun and needed, but either they have to look in to some form of lining up the prisoners near doors or make it easier for guards to push through a crowd, right now I've had a few times now that a guard was standing behind a big group of prisoners and couldn't reach the door he was supposed to open. I had to route another guard to the other side of the door and force him to take the job (which took some effort). It just gets impossible at one point for the guards to be efficient in their routing.

Return to “Community Members”