View Controls

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

H3rlihy
level0

View Controls

Postby H3rlihy » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:29 pm

I am surprised this hasn't been suggested already. First thing I noticed when playing the game is the unfriendly view controls forcing the player to use WASD/arrow keys. This turns a one handed, chillout game into a two handed pain in the ass. Would it be particularly difficult to throw in edge panning and/or zoom to point?

(Still can't believe I dropped £20 into an alpha... -.-')
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:38 am

*sigh...* how many times must I , no we say; It is an ALPHA.
With the sincerest regards,
111none
VoiD88
level5
level5

Postby VoiD88 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:49 am

While edge scrolling is indeed missing, you can zoom with your mouse wheel. And while I know that your post is about using the keyboard in general, it doesn't necessarily have to be WASD, the arrow keys work just as well ;)
Life is NOT like a box of chocolates, it's more like a jar of jalapeños: What you do today might burn your a** tomorrow.
~Garfield
stringles
level0

Postby stringles » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:25 pm

Yeah, you can zoom in and out with the mouse wheel, but it isn't centered on the cursor. And that works for me because I'm all for two-handing the game. But edge scrolling and zooming that's centered on the mouse should definitely be options.

111none wrote:*sigh...* how many times must I , no we say; It is an ALPHA.

Well, yes. And H3rlihy (what) made a valid suggestion to improve the game. Why be exasperated about it?
Cdr_Keen
level1
level1

Re: View Controls

Postby Cdr_Keen » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:49 pm

H3rlihy wrote:[...] This turns a one handed, chillout game into a two handed pain in the ass. [...]

i'm with you - sometimes i like to lean back to watch and chill but everytime i'm forced to go back to the keys :?
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:20 pm

stringles wrote:Yeah, you can zoom in and out with the mouse wheel, but it isn't centered on the cursor. And that works for me because I'm all for two-handing the game. But edge scrolling and zooming that's centered on the mouse should definitely be options.

Well, yes. And H3rlihy (what) made a valid suggestion to improve the game. Why be exasperated about it?

Because this has been suggested before?

http://forums.introversion.co.uk/prisonarchitect/viewtopic.php?t=2030&highlight=movement++mouse++scroll++zoom
http://forums.introversion.co.uk/prisonarchitect/viewtopic.php?t=33&highlight=movement++mouse++scroll++zoom
H3rlihy
level0

Postby H3rlihy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:17 pm

And one of those was in September 2012. Over 6 months ago.

I bought an alpha, and fed back my thoughts on how to improve the game. I thought that was the point.

"Oh someone else had a similar opinion to me at some point last year, guess my suggestion is invalid then"
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:58 pm

I never said your suggestion was invalid, I showed why 111none seemed overly exasperated at your idea. Also, claiming that because someone suggested the exact same thing awhile ago invalidates the fact that it's been suggested doesn't really make that much sense because it wasn't a similar opinion at all and we can't just forget about everything for the convenience of those who don't want to check to see if there are already others who're of a similar line of thought. Please do provide feedback on what you believe would be features you'd like to see in the game but don't get defensive when it gets pointed out that you are not the first to have come up with that idea.
H3rlihy
level0

Postby H3rlihy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:07 am

I did have a brief look down the recent topics to see if this had been suggested before. But I wasn't going to search the entire forum. Sometimes people have the same ideas and sometimes things are going to be suggested twice. There's no need for bitterness over it. It's not a big deal.

And in response to 111none's comment,
"*sigh...* how many times must I , no we say; It is an ALPHA."
So? And this is a SUGGESTION. I in no way implied that I expected the game to be fully polished, just pointed out a particular missing feature that hindered myself personally in the game.
GLStephen
level0

Postby GLStephen » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:10 am

Hmm.... first post I read in the developers and the first response is this... this bodes well.
H3rlihy
level0

Postby H3rlihy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:43 am

Yeah I wasn't expecting to be greeted by such hostility either.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:33 am

If it helps, I think that almost all of the more critical bugs have now been fixed. Likely the lack of edge scrolling and centred zooming now rates pretty highly on the bug/feature list. With that in mind I wouldn't be at all surprised if those issues two issues are fixed in the next alpha*

* sheer speculation.
gpgekko
level1
level1

Postby gpgekko » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:49 am

Just dropping this more on topic piece of information:

You can actually play it one handed, I do it all the time. Just press and hold the middle mouse button (or the scroll wheel on most modern mouses) and you can drag the map around. It actually makes moving around go a lot faster then using the arrow keys.
xMs
level3
level3

Postby xMs » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:35 pm

gpgekko wrote:Just dropping this more on topic piece of information:

You can actually play it one handed, I do it all the time. Just press and hold the middle mouse button (or the scroll wheel on most modern mouses) and you can drag the map around. It actually makes moving around go a lot faster then using the arrow keys.

I underutilize this ability. Must try more.
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:46 pm

christopher1006 wrote:
stringles wrote:Yeah, you can zoom in and out with the mouse wheel, but it isn't centered on the cursor. And that works for me because I'm all for two-handing the game. But edge scrolling and zooming that's centered on the mouse should definitely be options.

Because this has been suggested before?

http://forums.introversion.co.uk/prisonarchitect/viewtopic.php?t=2030&highlight=movement++mouse++scroll++zoom
http://forums.introversion.co.uk/prisonarchitect/viewtopic.php?t=33&highlight=movement++mouse++scroll++zoom

the point exactly.
With the sincerest regards,
111none

Return to “Community Members”