Optimization Please

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

bluestrike15
level1
level1

Optimization Please

Postby bluestrike15 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:27 am

I know that the game so far is only in alpha and is still introducing features... but it is becoming really hard of my computer to handle the game. So far its got to a point were on a small prison that is fully developed, it is impossible for me to go to fast speed. Im not asking for a full optimization and make the game run like a dream. But make it so that my low end computer can keep playing the game so i can keep reporting bugs and problems(Few i do).
xMs
level3
level3

Postby xMs » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:30 am

Like you said the game is only in the Alpha stage.

It is the path finding that will most likely be slowing down your game; if the prison is in full swing.
I don't think there are any plans to optimise the path finding greatly for a while.

You'll have to sit and wait unfortunately.

What are the specifications of your computer?
namj13
level2
level2

Postby namj13 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:07 am

How many prisoners/staff is your small prison?
--Namj13
dingleheimer
level0

Postby dingleheimer » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:34 am

Optimize the opportunities for pathing for your workers, build walkways into the design, nestled near storage?
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:50 am

dingleheimer wrote:Optimize the opportunities for pathing for your workers, build walkways into the design, nestled near storage?

Ain't gonna happen, this is alpha and they've explicitly said that they'll be breaking the game with every update. The polish comes later.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:41 am

Spit first, then polish.
dingleheimer
level0

Postby dingleheimer » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:19 am

HerrJoebob wrote:
dingleheimer wrote:Optimize the opportunities for pathing for your workers, build walkways into the design, nestled near storage?

Ain't gonna happen, this is alpha and they've explicitly said that they'll be breaking the game with every update. The polish comes later.

I mean that the user of the game should consider that workers may potentially have derpy pathing; and as a result I mean that it may pay dividends if a user designs their prison in such a way that it allows the easiest possible ways for workers to get to newly developing areas. Perhaps you could have a 2 wide walkway that goes all the way from storage to the end of the field, already fenced off and staff doored, as a means that if you ever decide to expand there later you will already have a path made for it. You can even add the faster materials on the ground as a way to improve this further. So, when you build your new remote cell block if you have laid the groundwork for that expansion it can make things go a lot smoother.

I suggest this as a user workaround, as a means for you to possibly cope with the current state of the game. That was not posted to cry for the developers to immediately fix that aspect of the game. I know it can take time for developers to truly make these types of functionalites shine, and so I hoped that I could help other people enjoy this in the way that I have been able to.
Causeless
level2
level2

Postby Causeless » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:35 pm

Prison Architect already runs pretty damn quickly on my computer, and I have integrated graphics.

I assume it's more of a CPU hog than anything else - has anyone checked to see if it's multithreaded?
Cheesy_Wotsit
level0

Postby Cheesy_Wotsit » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:54 am

Yeah, once you start to load up the instructions, especially in a prison with a few folk in it it does become a real CPU hog. I don't think it is fully multithreaded but Windows tries it's hardest to shift the load between CPU cores. If you load up the worker, guard and cook tasks then set CPU priority to real time with affinity set to one CPU then the game will max the core at 100%, so much so it crashed task manager on my system. What I did notice is the game barely touches the GPU, my 670GTX spends most of it's time hoping between 18 and 33% usage.
Tarenty
level1
level1

Postby Tarenty » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:24 am

One technique I've found helps wipe mid-game lag is firing all your janitors, gardeners, and workers and rehiring them, periodically. It hurts a bit financially, but you could always edit your save file to recover just those funds required to rehire them.
Nixxen
level0

Postby Nixxen » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:56 pm

Once my game drags down to 2-6 FPS I save the prison, then reload that save.
This brings me back to 30 FPS in most cases.

For me it seems to be some bad loop that's happening when building stuff that causes the low FPS.
Collic001
level2
level2

Postby Collic001 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:04 am

This does need to happen, but I wouldn't expect it to for a while. I think there are at least a couple of memory leaks as I've had severe slow down and stutter after long periods play.

All I can suggest is to find a size of prison that your computer can handle comfortably and stick to that (at least for now). As I said, restarting the game periodically can help a lot with the performance related issues.
Dutch2005
level0

Postby Dutch2005 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:00 am

Collic001 wrote:This does need to happen, but I wouldn't expect it to for a while. I think there are at least a couple of memory leaks as I've had severe slow down and stutter after long periods play.

All I can suggest is to find a size of prison that your computer can handle comfortably and stick to that (at least for now). As I said, restarting the game periodically can help a lot with the performance related issues.

memory leaks? :lol:
gpgekko
level1
level1

Postby gpgekko » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:33 am

At the very least, there are memory corruptions. I've had rubble looking like part of the pool table, I've had the almanac button be replaced with the tileset graphic and I've had prisoners hopping around complaining with the wrong icons above their heads (damn that was confusing).
laser50
level2
level2

Postby laser50 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:19 pm

No problems here with decay on, maximum settings, 75 prisoners and 70 staff.. So far.
(except of course that they keep attacking my chef, then ask for food.. Wat.)

Return to “Community Members”