Remove "Tech Tree"

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

ryacko
level1
level1

Remove "Tech Tree"

Postby ryacko » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:51 am

Please remove the tech tree, or rather the bureaucracy feature.
It doesn't really make sense.

Or at least remove it until it's more developed. All it does now is prevent me from hiring janitors (??!??) and installing cameras (?!?!?) for a few days.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:03 am

No, please don't.
LennyKitty
level0

Postby LennyKitty » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:57 am

I agree, it seems very silly to me.
laser50
level2
level2

Postby laser50 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:25 am

Then keep finding it silly, I think it'll be great when they add more features to the game, and with that more to the tech tree.

It's an Alpha, stuff doesn't have to make sense in it's first stages of development.
Gamecub
level1
level1

Postby Gamecub » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:47 am

^ It's like laughing at the creation of Rome when all they had built was a house or making fun of a Leonardo Da Vinci just painting a line when he just started to Mona Lisa.

So +1 to the gentleperson above me.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:10 am

Perhaps instead of tech tree it should be called something like 'To Do list'. And instead of the progress bars representing 'research' they represent the time it takes to cross an item off the todo list. For example, it takes 12 hours to complete the recruitment process for an accountant.
orangetayo
level1
level1

Postby orangetayo » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:12 am

I like the idea of the "tech tree" but I'd like to see it be more substantive. Instead of having everything just cost money, there should be other prison requirements (i.e. a certain number of max security inmates, or a certain amount of 'square footage' built, etc.)
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:56 am

Just give it time, this isn't a AAA title where Alpha means final release with a few minor features not there. I'm sure that the tech tree along with the rest of the game is going to be quite a bit more developed than it is in the current alpha.
Yes, that is a penguin with rabies. Deal with it.
NylePudding
level1
level1

Postby NylePudding » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:08 am

I personally think it's fine, perhaps they need to reduce the time for some things to complete, since 12 hours seems a bit too much time for things you really need. But especially when there's more branches in the tree it will add an interesting layer of strategy.

Remember this game is in Alpha, some things need to be implemented early even if they aren't much of a use now. In time I'm sure some minor balancing will be done and the tree will be made more practical.
Ric666
level3
level3

Postby Ric666 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:56 am

I like the bureaucracy tree to an extent. It forces you to think about what you need the most first & maybe hang off on something else. Definitely adds some strategic depth to the game.

However, because of this exact point, it usually means I hold off taking in any prisoners at all in the beginning, as I want all my rooms/higher level staff unlocked so that I have a fully working prison before they arrive.

I'm not sure if there is any real solution to this. I highly doubt it would ever be removed from the game at this stage so we'll just have to live with this catch22. :)

Maybe the research time could be reduced. Or some things could be rearranged so you get all your basic staff quicker but lets say, lawyers, CCTV & riot police cost a lot more & take longer? not sure tbh..
Hitobat
level1
level1

Postby Hitobat » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:36 am

Ric666 wrote:Maybe the research time could be reduced. Or some things could be rearranged so you get all your basic staff quicker but lets say, lawyers, CCTV & riot police cost a lot more & take longer? not sure tbh..

Yes, I agree with this! I think the more basic things like the clone tool and janitors should be unlocked earlier in the game (or perhaps not even need unlocking) which will likely push the other facilities back later.

I think that as the game becomes more developed we'll see other facilities added along with a corresponding changes in the tech tree. Looking at some of the suggestions on the forums, people have asked for visitation rooms and prisoner education / work programs which I can well imagine being researched under a prison development officer or some-such. Other things I'd like to see would be additional material types, furniture, etc.. which could perhaps be researched in "classes" under a facility manager. (For example you start with materials like concrete floors, then research basic materials such as wood and plain tiles, etc...).
orangetayo
level1
level1

Postby orangetayo » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:23 am

christopher1006 wrote:Just give it time, this isn't a AAA title where Alpha means final release with a few minor features not there. I'm sure that the tech tree along with the rest of the game is going to be quite a bit more developed than it is in the current alpha.

right, but that's why we're all here in the forums talking about the game :) shootin' ideas off one another so the devs know what everyone is thinking.
ryacko
level1
level1

Postby ryacko » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:35 am

Ric666 wrote:I like the bureaucracy tree to an extent. It forces you to think about what you need the most first & maybe hang off on something else. Definitely adds some strategic depth to the game.

However, because of this exact point, it usually means I hold off taking in any prisoners at all in the beginning, as I want all my rooms/higher level staff unlocked so that I have a fully working prison before they arrive.

I'm not sure if there is any real solution to this. I highly doubt it would ever be removed from the game at this stage so we'll just have to live with this catch22. :)

Maybe the research time could be reduced. Or some things could be rearranged so you get all your basic staff quicker but lets say, lawyers, CCTV & riot police cost a lot more & take longer? not sure tbh..

Not really.
After a game week I research the whole tech tree without cheats.

The tech tree is really absurd, I mean, at least make the janitor freely available. It is truly bizarre that an unskilled position is hard to staff, especially when you have so many workmen....
Sikee Atric
level0

Postby Sikee Atric » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:04 am

It needs redevelopment and updating to make to much more sensible, then it can be added to as necessary. But we don't need to lose it.
Ric666
level3
level3

Postby Ric666 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:51 pm

ryacko wrote:After a game week I research the whole tech tree without cheats.

an ingame week is a tonne of time! I could build 3 prisons in that time :P

Return to “Community Members”