The Meat-Grinder: An Experiment in Being a Horrible Person

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Sliver59
level1
level1

The Meat-Grinder: An Experiment in Being a Horrible Person

Postby Sliver59 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:46 pm

Chris, if you're reading this, then you must've known this was what the game would come down to. This is your fault, and you should feel bad.

The images in this thread are quite large, and the BBCode for resizing isn't working, so I'm simply going to link them.

So this is something that I attempted in Alpha 5, but it was a bit dull. With 6, however, the addition of Max-Sec makes the meat-grinder a possibility. I'm running into some issues with it and was hoping for some interesting collaboration. First, I'll describe what I'm trying to accomplish.

My idea for the meat-grinder is the prison that no prisoner wants to even think about, a place where the Government throws the rejects of society into a pit to forget about them. It will give food, though only the strongest will eat. It will offer showers and toilets, but too bad for the prisoners if they break them. There is no escaping, and extreme measures will be taken to make sure that everyone in the grinder stays in the grinder. No employees will interact with the prisoners directly, and they exist for very specific purposes: The Warden to change regime, Chief to get deployment, Workman to fix broken doors (there is no escape), and Guards to stop escapes and bring prisoners to the grinder. If prisoners get into a fight, just let it play out until it's done. The Guards cannot run in to dissolve the situation, because it's just not their problem.

So as you can see, this is absolutely the WORST possible prison that can be created in this game. The issues with the AI is mostly with the guard, who you have to actively keep from automatically dealing with a situation. Here's my first failed attempt before the prisoners arrive:

http://i48.tinypic.com/axo6sm.png

So as you can see, the main problem is keeping the guards away. By day 5, I had 5 dead guards (Sorry, no screenshot). So here's my second attempt:

http://i48.tinypic.com/34s46d3.png

My thought process behind this is that the top will be for rotating holding cells. I will make the door on its left unacessible, so the guards will bring the new prisoners straight to the temporary holding cell. Then, lock the door behind them and open the one on the left. Move the holding cell, and since the regime is always on sleep except at meals, the prisoners will automatically go to the new temporary holding cell. Repeat until they are in the main one, then lock the door behind them.

In the even of a breakout, I've made the better path the top one by adding a bunch of extra doors, meaning I only have to station guards at the top incase of a breakout. I can easily block them off there. Also, the door to the canteen will be locked until the chefs are done filling it with the food. Removes the risk of them being attacked.

So hopefully I can create a successful meatgrinder. Let's see how it turned out...

http://i46.tinypic.com/n6fg53.png

...It broke on day 2. The guards would not stop trying to process the prisoners no matter what I did, and it just broke them. Can't fire them, hire new guards and they do nothing, everyone just stops. Time still goes, and I can still try to do things.

So in the end, I'll have to wait a bit longer before I can finish this off. Plus, their pathfinding is really messed up right now. They would sometimes try and go through doors that were completely locked to get to rooms that they cannot get to. No matter what I'd do, they just wouldn't chill the hell out. Next update, then.
Last edited by Sliver59 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Setari
level2
level2

Postby Setari » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:08 am

... this is awesome.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:12 am

The only thing exta you will need is an incinerator to hide the bodies in case a health inspector comes. The question is are you burning the body of the health inspector or the prisoners?
Yes, that is a penguin with rabies. Deal with it.
Sliver59
level1
level1

Postby Sliver59 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:24 am

christopher1006 wrote:The only thing exta you will need is an incinerator to hide the bodies in case a health inspector comes. The question is are you burning the body of the health inspector or the prisoners?

But that's the most morbid part of it all: no one cares enough to check the place out. Everyone knows what goes on in there, and the few that care, just choose to ignore it.
laser50
level2
level2

Postby laser50 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:29 am

Tried locking the doors for everybody yet? Make the guards put the prisoners in another room, when they're out lock the door for everybody.
Inkku
level1
level1

Postby Inkku » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:47 am

Build fence around the incoming doors when all the inmates you want inthere is inside. Fences wont cost a thing and when you want someone inside the grinder just demolish one bit of the fence and rebuild.
felloslav
level0

Postby felloslav » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:06 pm

This strongly reminds me of stuff folks do in Dwarf Fortress and that is very awesome.

Return to “Community Members”