Idea! A mutual cell!

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

What's your opinion about this idea?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:59 am

Should be implemented with a maximum of 6 in a cell.
20%
Should be implemented with a maximum of 4 in a cell.
29%
Should be implemented with a maximum of 2 in a cell.
40%
Shouldn't be implemented at all.
2%
Should be implemented with a maximum in a cell that I will reply.
9%

Total votes: 163
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:08 pm

Share your thoughts and opinions about this idea!

I like the theory, but gameplay-wise I think it risks making housing prisoners too affordable. Maybe that can be balanced though. Maybe the cheap-ass wardens who try to cram dozens of prisoners into one cell will get far more fights and blood. Maybe the price of beds can be made higher (or the price of some other per-prisoner accoutrement)
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:07 pm

paktsardines wrote:

I like the theory, but gameplay-wise I think it risks making housing prisoners too affordable. Maybe that can be balanced though. Maybe the cheap-ass wardens who try to cram dozens of prisoners into one cell will get far more fights and blood. Maybe the price of beds can be made higher (or the price of some other per-prisoner accoutrement)

no, in my thought, they can be very affordable, but gangs and black markets form instead
With the sincerest regards,
111none
Davko
level0

Postby Davko » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:15 am

Definitely a good idea, implement ASAP please.
tmarshall85
level0

Re: Idea! A mutual cell!

Postby tmarshall85 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:46 am

I'm going to bump this thread to post this awesome video: http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/84491169/

"Prisoner Calmly And Logically Explains Why He Had To Murder His Cellmate"

EDIT: I also definitely support this suggestion.
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:03 pm

Yeah that video was worth a necropost... Wow.
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:20 pm

HerrJoebob wrote:Yeah that video was worth a necropost... Wow.

The video wasn't worth it but just for this thread to gain some attention it was definitely worth it
lugaru
level3
level3

Postby lugaru » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:37 pm

Well since the thread is back from the dead I will add one thing:

There is a mod kicking around in workshop called Better Cell Mod which makes cells into a 2x1 space requiring a bed. This means that as long as you have spaces between beds you can build any cell you want. I have not tried it yet (for crashes and such) but if it works it will give us what we want in the meantime, and give us an idea of how well it works.
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:52 pm

lugaru wrote:Well since the thread is back from the dead I will add one thing:

There is a mod kicking around in workshop called Better Cell Mod which makes cells into a 2x1 space requiring a bed. This means that as long as you have spaces between beds you can build any cell you want. I have not tried it yet (for crashes and such) but if it works it will give us what we want in the meantime, and give us an idea of how well it works.

Well, it does kind of, but it also kind of does.

Yes, you are now capable of having multiple people in one 'cell' but the room won't be their cell meaning they can't use a toilet/showerhead/tv or whatever object you put in the room unless it's zoned as their cell
lugaru
level3
level3

Postby lugaru » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:10 pm

knoest26 wrote:
lugaru wrote:Well since the thread is back from the dead I will add one thing:

Well, it does kind of, but it also kind of does.

Yes, you are now capable of having multiple people in one 'cell' but the room won't be their cell meaning they can't use a toilet/showerhead/tv or whatever object you put in the room unless it's zoned as their cell

Oh yeah, that completely destroys the purpose... I need to test it but I'm confident you are right since it sounds like that is what would happen.
flimFlambr
level1
level1

Re:

Postby flimFlambr » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:45 pm

111none wrote:
paktsardines wrote:

no, in my thought, they can be very affordable, but gangs and black markets form instead

Plus, shared cells could be limited to certain type of prisioners - no one above "normal security"allowed, and no one going through rehab programs - that would demand the player also to buy single cells.
And I fully agree with the gang idea
Merum
level1
level1

Postby Merum » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:14 pm

I'm doing this in a current prison. I have a block of 10 smaller dormitory style holding cells restricted to min sec only.

See it here:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =425848099

The primary issue I see so far is that holding cell doors stay closed, unlike cell doors. The prisoners get pissed waiting for a guard to let them out. I'm going to try to fix it with a door timer.
TearingTerran
level1
level1

Re:

Postby TearingTerran » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:11 am

Diceman wrote:I think a "normal" prison cell is at least 1 bunk bed with 2 inmates in it. (IRL in Europe and the US)

Not the case, especially in the US, in county jails at least it's common to have 10-20+ odd prisoners with triple layer bunk beds crammed into a small area, no guards in there or anything. Which clearly causes big problems with fighting (the method of choice for deciding the hierarchical structure within the cell). I seem to recall the fighting area is called 'the paint' for some reason, maybe someone could explain why that's the case?

More modern prisons are the same (in the US at least, county lock ups) But they have an officer stationed in the area too - at a desk - with a very open layout. But these modern type layouts are only used for the more moderate / normal prisoners - a lot of inmates just can't function in such environments and end up in small cells with a bunk bed - perhaps only 2 people in the cell. And only those who are really vicious / dangerous / history of violence (shanking etc) End up in solitary.

In PA it's the norm that all prisoners end up in a solitary type environment - one bed, one toilet. Which isn't indicative of reality where there's a range of ways to lock up the prisoners, double bunks, triple bunks, cells with anything from 1 inmate (dangerous prisoners) All the way up to (and over) 30 odd prisoners in a mutual cell. I guess it all comes down to the regions / countries prison policies, and how much money has been pumped into prisons. In the more poor regions of the world for example it's standard to have a cell block designed for say 50 people yet have 200 odd crammed in there, with no basic amenities at all - prisoners urinate in to empty fizzy drink bottles and crap in to plastic bags.

So I'd love to see this idea implemented into PA (mutual cells). In a recent alpha update bunk beds were mentioned (no guarantee of bunk beds being added was stated) But I guess it's fair to surmise that it's on their radar. And if we do get bunk beds, then really, this mutual cell concept has to be added too (I hope!).
Merum
level1
level1

Postby Merum » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:29 pm

Merum wrote:I'm doing this in a current prison. I have a block of 10 smaller dormitory style holding cells restricted to min sec only.

See it here:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =425848099

The primary issue I see so far is that holding cell doors stay closed, unlike cell doors. The prisoners get pissed waiting for a guard to let them out. I'm going to try to fix it with a door timer.

Some follow ups after running this for a while:

1. Door timers do help but prisoners routinely miss the bedtime lockdown and end up standing outside their cell waiting to be let in.
2. Even in min sec, shared cells become a very violent place in a hurry. :) If you're going to try this, I strongly recommend lots of guards and CCTV cameras in the cells.

Return to “Community Members”