[Suggestion] Partition/division walls

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Nebthtet
level0

[Suggestion] Partition/division walls

Postby Nebthtet » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:32 pm

I have a following suggestion for designing open space offices: why not introduce a type of wall that counts as low partition and can be built on the border between offices (so you don't need to leave an empty row of space where wall would normally be)?
This way you could design a more modern office and save spome space.
xngxng
level1
level1

Postby xngxng » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:36 pm

+1

I like this idea!
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:10 pm

In the interest in covering potential flaws: What do you expect to happen when you move the partition?
xngxng
level1
level1

Postby xngxng » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:27 pm

The partition could be purely visual, and instead of one 4x4 office-area per office-employee there could be 1 employee per desk+chair that is inside an office-area.
gazmask
level1
level1

Postby gazmask » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:09 pm

A lot of placeable object are already not too happy to be placed against a wall, so I have no idea what weird moves the objects would do if you start dividing rooms with smaller walls.

Maybe it would be a better idea to allow us to split the room grid. A 12x4 office grid being cut into three offices, with three staff members occupying it, but it's still attached.
Contributing editor and assistant supervisor at http://www.gvangames.be (dutch)
Played: Uplink, Defcon
Playing: Prison Architect
Nebthtet
level0

Postby Nebthtet » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:34 pm

That could also work - no space wasted and "open office space" feel
puke
level0

Postby puke » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:50 am

or simply a way to make any new room a room unto its self, rather than expanding on the one next to it.

inspired by this thread, I just made an open floor plan office area composed of a interlocking mess of various T and L shaped offices... achieved great density ;)

the game does not currently seem to care if it is a full 4x4 square, as long as it has a 1x4 and 4x1 component to it.

in fact, with a little more futzing about, it seems like the rooms dont even need to be contiguous. Two disconnected squares (achieved by erasing the intervening squares) are enough to define a 4x4 room, as long as they are at opposite corners. You need a minimum of four squares to accommodate a desk, chair, and file cabinet, but you can see the possibilities.

I'm sure this will be fixed eventually, but it's amusing to play with until then.

Return to “Community Members”