Guns?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Do you think it would be worth it to have guns?

Yes
31%
No
9%
Only during riots
7%
As a SWAT team
21%
Only if the prisoners could steal them
27%
Only if the prisoners couldn't steal them
No votes
Don't really care
5%

Total votes: 150
annoyingwolf
level1
level1

Guns?

Postby annoyingwolf » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:02 am

I was playing the other day when I had a fight in the showers, as happens every day for some reason, this was then followed by a stabbing in the cafeteria before a toilet punching session afterwards. I had a thought, would it not just be easier to taser them, then I had a joking thought about just giving the guards carbines and laughing manically as they are gunned down in the courtyard, I would video this and send it to their families. After digging myself out of the padded cell I temporarily put my brain in as punishment for that despicable thought, I had a serious think about the expressions of the families faces, after punishing my brain again, this time with a straitjacket as well, I thought about the possibility of allowing the guards to acquire and use firearms, it would make the game too easy I thought then... So they are ultra expensive both in the tech tree and as individual cabinets/lockers (I used to play evil Genius). I then thought once you had them it would be game breaking to the point where you would have no prisoners left at the end of a decent punch up in the cafeteria. So... you can only use them in the event of a riot? Depends how common riots are when they get added, so then I thought to myself, feeling very smart after my rehabilitation in "Annoyingwolf's correctional facility for the criminally maniacal and/or addicted to Video games" what if instead of giving the guns guards we have deployable units similar to the fire station, like armed response units or SWAT teams or homeguard or the army, depending on your country and whether or not your constitution/Magna Carta/Rules written on a used piece of toilet paper allows you to deploy your own army in your own country. So this would be a worse case scenario thing and would probably, to balance it, either be really expensive to use or they will murder every prisoner regardless of current activity/hateful feelings towards the warden/view on the trash they serve in the cafeteria.

I appear to have gone off on a rant...

So I have no actual power, just a copy of the Alpha and access to the developer forums and wiki, but maybe a developer will see this and think I'm a complete loon, alternatively they may take some of these ideas seriously.

Ranter and apparently quite good at it,
Annoyingwolf
Azarath
level2
level2

Postby Azarath » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:13 am

Afaik, most max security prisons do have an onsite armoury, in case of riots etc. Maybe these could be implemented to assist with SWAT teams etc, with the chance of prisoners stealing if theyre either extremely lucky, ill edsigned armoury, or you don't pay attention.
lukiono
level1
level1

Postby lukiono » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:52 am

i think non-deadly weapons would be very nice addition for a riot police. like stun grenade
mikepardon
level1
level1

Postby mikepardon » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:00 am

I was literally laughing at that!
I think they already have guns in the game. They just aren't fully implemented.

Tasers would be hilarious , watching the prisoners shake on the floor *insert maniacal laugh*
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:47 am

Personally I problably wouldn't have guns because one stupid gaurd or another would get pickpocketed and a prisoner would use a shotgun to go on a rampage killing my poor workment who always are in the way of a fight.
Yes, that is a penguin with rabies. Deal with it.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:11 am

lukiono wrote:...non-deadly weapons...

Not to be pedantic, but "less lethal." Stun guns, tasers, rubber bullets, bean bag rounds, &c. are less likely to kill, but can still be lethal if one has bad luck (or is actually trying to kill someone).

xander
Saranis
level2
level2

Postby Saranis » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:30 am

There are guns in the game already.
Sliver59
level1
level1

Postby Sliver59 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:54 am

I would certainly love it if the game had weapons like Xander mentioned, most notably beanbag shotguns.

When someone is escaping, it would be nice to be able to have the guards shoot him down. It's annoying to have them escape because the guards give up the chase once they get off the property. It's not only more realistic, but adds another element to the game where you are consistently worrying about prisoners trying to break into the armory, or a guard getting overwhelmed by prisoners with knives and stealing the guns.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:12 pm

I personally think it would be better balanced if you had to call an emergency vehicle with guns in it your gaurds could use that prisoners could pick up. For normal property patrol and day to day activity I want to use dogs. For that person out there saying dogs arn't used in real prisons very often if at all, I don't care.
Yes, that is a penguin with rabies. Deal with it.
XmAkiNA
level2
level2

Postby XmAkiNA » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:47 pm

A lot of this is going to come down on cultural lines. I'm not certain, but I'm fairly confident British prison guards don't carry firearms as standard and it's not something I'd want my guards in-game doing either. With the planned Riot Squad, I understand them being armed as they'll be dealing with a much more dangerous situation, but regular guards shouldn't carry guns.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:06 pm

XmAkiNA wrote:A lot of this is going to come down on cultural lines. I'm not certain, but I'm fairly confident British prison guards don't carry firearms as standard and it's not something I'd want my guards in-game doing either. With the planned Riot Squad, I understand them being armed as they'll be dealing with a much more dangerous situation, but regular guards shouldn't carry guns.

I'm pretty sure that most prison guards, particularly those that might interact with prisoners, don't generally carry guns. It poses too much of a risk.

xander
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:52 pm

xander wrote:
lukiono wrote:...non-deadly weapons...

Not to be pedantic, but "less lethal." Stun guns, tasers, rubber bullets, bean bag rounds, &c. are less likely to kill, but can still be lethal if one has bad luck (or is actually trying to kill someone).

xander

but if we could arm guards, and put them on the outside perimeter... Ie; watchtower or cat walks...it might mean a lot harder prison breaks.
With the sincerest regards,
111none
Fabioguar
level1
level1

Postby Fabioguar » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:53 pm

111none wrote:but if we could arm guards, and put them on the outside perimeter... Ie; watchtower or cat walks...it might mean a lot harder prison breaks.

I like it :!:
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:26 pm

XmAkiNA wrote:A lot of this is going to come down on cultural lines. I'm not certain, but I'm fairly confident British prison guards don't carry firearms as standard and it's not something I'd want my guards in-game doing either. With the planned Riot Squad, I understand them being armed as they'll be dealing with a much more dangerous situation, but regular guards shouldn't carry guns.

well in america our prisons are too crowed :(
In america when you get death sentence for killing people and get executed in 10-20 years.in china you can get executed for 40+grams of drugs, and you get executed in 2 weeks.
very different cultures my friends.
With the sincerest regards,
111none
ScoutBall
level0

Postby ScoutBall » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:00 am

christopher1006 wrote:I personally think it would be better balanced if you had to call an emergency vehicle with guns in it your gaurds could use that prisoners could pick up. For normal property patrol and day to day activity I want to use dogs. For that person out there saying dogs aren't used in real prisons very often if at all, I don't care.

Dogs are used quite often in prisons.
Generally they are used for contraband (drug) sweeps in cells, and prisoner common areas--and not as much as a "patrol" element.
The rub with K9 units is that both the creature, and the handler are extremely expensive to train, and maintain.

But, anyhow. I really hope they implement some type of dogs in this game--I think it would be excellent to have enhance contraband detection, or watch one of my little sprite dogs run down that escaping prisoner.

Return to “Community Members”