Help us decide: Debug tools or game features?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Would you rather see Tools & Cheats next, or shall we stick to the Game Features?

Poll ended at Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:54 pm

Debug tools and cheats next
10%
More game features next
84%
I want it all, and I want it now
7%

Total votes: 197
Fabioguar
level1
level1

Postby Fabioguar » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:53 pm

Saranis wrote:No question that I want game features more than cheats. Cheats should be the LAST thing added as a fun little bonus to the game. I don't feel its something that should have development time diverted to it from the creation of the actual game features.

I completley agree with you. Cheats have to be the last thing to add on the game to check the uncommon situation on the game.

There are some annoying bugs that makes to malfunction standard situation on the game, I think this is the priority.
For now it is better to add new features and fix this kind of bugs.
Only when the game is complete and the bugs are fixed it is usefull "to cheat" the game to test the strange and uncommon situation.
Lance_Lake
level1
level1

Postby Lance_Lake » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:30 am

Curious here.. The cheat menu works already..

Why not just give it out as it is? I mean, it seems like more work to remove it every release. Why not just leave in what is there and don't spend time improving it until later? Let us have our cake and eat it as well.

What am I not understanding here?
furrot
level1
level1

Postby furrot » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:57 am

Well I can't speak directly for the dev but I know in my projects there's a pretty hard line between debug and release builds that enables or disables different sets of content/functionality. It's good for delimiting things. Sometimes things break when the code becomes enabled or disabled for production because of duplication that didn't previously exist. Plus I'm sure they want to test those menus somewhat to do a bit of QA which could add time if something ends up breaking.
Lance_Lake
level1
level1

Postby Lance_Lake » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:36 am

furrot wrote:Well I can't speak directly for the dev but I know in my projects there's a pretty hard line between debug and release builds that enables or disables different sets of content/functionality. It's good for delimiting things. Sometimes things break when the code becomes enabled or disabled for production because of duplication that didn't previously exist. Plus I'm sure they want to test those menus somewhat to do a bit of QA which could add time if something ends up breaking.

Makes sense.. Ok. :)
XmAkiNA
level2
level2

Postby XmAkiNA » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:14 am

As I said in another thread, adding "cheats and tools" will undoubtedly create a lot of bugs which have no real effect on regular gameplay and from experience with other projects no amount of warning and alerts will stop people reporting them.
Frede1012
level1
level1

Postby Frede1012 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:59 pm

Game features!

You can always just edit the save file if you want to cheat a little ;-)
DocWat232
level1
level1

Postby DocWat232 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:08 pm

I'm definitely in the camp for more features first, and do a full debug menu later.

However, I do think a small, quick "disaster menu" would be neat. Be able to have a fire start somewhere, or have a random prisoner flip out and start a fight or try to escape. That way we can see how our prison copes with the change.
ryacko
level1
level1

Postby ryacko » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:48 pm

I think it wouldn't be too hard to add "basic cheats."
Free money namely.
Saranis
level2
level2

Postby Saranis » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:36 am

ryacko wrote:I think it wouldn't be too hard to add "basic cheats."
Free money namely.

This can already be done in the game though so no point in adding it.
zagan
level0

Postby zagan » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:05 am

I think you'd be better to make a rough life cycle first

then add cheats that allow the above to happen, like add money if needed or I would suggest is a way of changing how many prisoners come in per day, rather than just getting any where from 2 to 24 prisoners per day.

then move back to the features that help flesh out the life cycle more.

Currently I think alpha 5 is ok well beter it's pretty great, but I've been running it for a number for hours have around 40 cells but 190 pensioners, I'm making about $20,000 even with the penlites, it does crash after 2-3 hours if you don't touch anything in the game I've had that happen 2-3 times now.

But the problem I see right now, is there's no real turn around or cycle of prisoners, like it's just adding and adding and there's no real way of having them released or killed etc.

so it's like 2/3rd there but just needs that little end game/cycle bit added so a full cycle can be run through and people can say it needs this or that feature to add something to the game.

I seen the fire in the dev version and thought it'd be in the alpha release but it's not really fazing me that it's not there.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:48 am

I voted for features, that's what the alpha is for. I don't mind if the Debug tool is added at the start of the beta where it's more of a bug hunt and something like a dev tool will be useful. Until then I want to see features added and we can get the most obvious bugs out of the way which are found by simply playing the game.
Yes, that is a penguin with rabies. Deal with it.
Neddleson
level1
level1

Debug

Postby Neddleson » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:00 pm

I know that if I get access to the debug menu then I'll be tempted to use cheats in my legitimate prisons, and my endless hours of saving up money for new cell blocks will be pointless...must...resist...cheats.
orbitfire
level0

Postby orbitfire » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:40 am

I didn't vote, because the option to pick neither wasn't represented. I think the hierarchy of priority goes like this:

1. Take an inventory of your most critical bugs and make them first priory. Focus on stability for one iteration.

2. After that, implement the most important new game-play feature. Example: fog of war is low priority, while management options are much higher.

3. Debug tools would low priory. And personally I'd only want players who are also good testers to have them.
ryacko
level1
level1

Postby ryacko » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:07 am

Saranis wrote:
Free money namely.

how?
orbitfire
level0

Postby orbitfire » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:04 am

ryacko wrote:
Saranis wrote:
Free money namely.

how?

With a memory editor.

Return to “Community Members”