Suggestion: New Object: Front Gates

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

MrCai
level1
level1

Suggestion: New Object: Front Gates

Postby MrCai » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:00 am

Playing around last night for some reason (possibly due to number of doors) my guards were taking all my prisoners into the prison system by a side entrance, not a huge annoyance but it did result in me rebuilding the prison in a fashion I hadn't intended.

I was curious, could we not have a new object ingame, some nice shiny front gate to define what is the front entrance of the prison? This would ensure guards when receiving prisoners take this pathway above all others.
NathanChambers
level0

Postby NathanChambers » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:48 am

That would be awesome, at the moment my guards and workers seem to take the LONG way round to the delivery section. Sigh, I suppose this is alpha.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:18 pm

There'll problably be some fancy new doors implemented for various purposes, what I do currently is have only one door to exit my prison. Then the gaurds have no option but to actually use the entrance I want.
Yes, that is a penguin with rabies. Deal with it.
Saranis
level2
level2

Postby Saranis » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:35 pm

Can't help it but the phrase "Arbeit Macht Frei" ("Work makes one free" sign that hung above the Auschwitz Concentration Camp gate) keeps popping into my head with this suggestion.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:03 pm

I can just see the mod, concentration camp Kommandant....
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:10 pm

christopher1006 wrote:I can just see the mod, concentration camp Kommandant....

There isn't one? I'm actually surprised but I'll take your word for it... there's no way I'm googling that. :shock:
thekev506
level1
level1

Postby thekev506 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:18 pm

christopher1006 wrote:I can just see the mod, concentration camp Kommandant....

That's definitely struck me as something that could end up happening, sadly. Just imagine the uproar if the mainstream media caught on to it, too...

Anyway, +1 for the main gate idea because it bugs me when I make my holding cell part of the prison entrance and the guards then completely ignore it and take all new prisoners through a side door.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:19 pm

There was some kind of concentration camp game, it was more of a bad joke really. If you left children to the jews they would eat the kids, if the resistance attacked they threw cheese and wine bottles at your gaurds. The best gaurds were blond haired and blue eyed. I've never seen a serious game that tries to approach a touchy topic like that. It's an interesting idea to make the camp and see how it was to play as the commander but not many would really want to see the silent lines of children march into the gas chambers. A POW camp on the other hand I'd personally find quite interesting.
Lareh
level0

Postby Lareh » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:20 pm

A front gate object would be pretty cool, not only conveniently but aesthetically as well. If not a whole new object, it would be nice if one could at least assign a door(s)/gate(s) to act as a main entrance.
ScoutBall
level0

Postby ScoutBall » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:00 pm

+1 for the Front Gate
With WWII probably being one of the most "gamed" historical conflicts, it is interesting there isn't something involving the Camps.
I, for one would never play such a thing, and I cannot imagine the absolute uproar if it were ever created.
Too many great games that have yet to be created, and too little great developers to waste energy on such a thing is my opinion.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:30 am

Like I said, POW is the closest they could get. If they even glanced at the idea of a full on death camp they'd be out of a job in a heartbeat.
Farden
level1
level1

Postby Farden » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:53 pm

A front gate would be nice, but I have a suggestion to add to this :
The front gate should close (and remain closed) if any prisoner approaches. I hate when some prisoners are trying to escape and the workers open the front gate for them to go... And the guards not running fast enought to catch them.
Blackthorr
level0

Re: Suggestion: New Object: Front Gates

Postby Blackthorr » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:25 pm

MrCai wrote:Playing around last night for some reason (possibly due to number of doors) my guards were taking all my prisoners into the prison system by a side entrance, not a huge annoyance but it did result in me rebuilding the prison in a fashion I hadn't intended.

I was curious, could we not have a new object ingame, some nice shiny front gate to define what is the front entrance of the prison? This would ensure guards when receiving prisoners take this pathway above all others.

+1. Though I have to admit I didn't think prisons had side entrances. I though the point was to only have one way in and out. You learn something new everyday (that's not sarcasm I Google'd prison layouts).
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:39 am

I don't think an actual object labeled front gate would as usefull as using something in the deployment screen labeled that. This could help cut down on the work but still give us the ability to control the usual flow in and out of a prison.
Neddleson
level1
level1

Stronger door

Postby Neddleson » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:19 pm

I think that it would help too if the front door were stronger than regular doors, as prisoners can break through doors right now with a small knife, or even their bare hands which is quite annoying and unrealistic. Maybe in future builds a pass code could be needed to open a front gate which all staff know, and the code could be kept written down in a security room, or the chiefs office which prisoners could steal.

Return to “Community Members”