More fist fights/brawls

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

More ambient fights?

Yes
57%
No
31%
Couldn't give a damn
11%

Total votes: 96
NathanChambers
level0

More fist fights/brawls

Postby NathanChambers » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:20 pm

In my prison, fairly small so far, I have metal detectors at entrances to cell blocks and communal areas (Yard, Cafeteria) so I barely see any stabbings or fights. I reckon there should be more ambient fights, such as small punch ups over a tray or food or a space in the shower, with neither inmate being injured. (Much)
What do you guys reckon?
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:30 pm

I understand what you mean but you must understand that there are still features to be implemented. Later on it will be rather dangerous to use an all free time prison since prisoners will have too much time to try and break out. Currently yes the game gets rather boring if you stramline the prison with metal detectors and free time. The solution is to use a real schedule, it's not that difficult but it puts prisoners a little more on edge so it's easier to give them that little push needed to stab somebody in the eye with a rusty spoon.
Yes, that is a penguin with rabies. Deal with it.
Saranis
level2
level2

Postby Saranis » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:39 pm

I want more RANDOM mayhem!!
thekev506
level1
level1

Postby thekev506 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:21 pm

I'd rather have more random events than more random fights. Could see random fights getting pretty tiring after a while
BreadMurderer
level1
level1

Postby BreadMurderer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:29 pm

Things happen for a reason. If we had to much random fights/events then how do you mitigate against it? You cant. Which would then become annoying. Fights are great but must happen for a reason.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:06 pm

When they develop prisoners having unique psychology this should make things in the prison more interesting.
thekev506
level1
level1

Postby thekev506 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:15 pm

I'm thinking of events more along the lines of the random events in crusader kings 2: very minor things where you have an a/b response that have far-reaching repercussions that aren't necessarily obvious. Huge events happening randomly would break things a bit, but the events in CK2 can create a plot within a plot (having bad musicians at a feast causing an argument that leads to all kinds of trouble, for example) and I think that mechanic would work well within PA.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:49 pm

Some city boy hates country so when it gets played in the common room he breaks a gaurds head in to the radio defiling the room with that noise.
Saranis
level2
level2

Postby Saranis » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:14 am

BreadMurderer wrote:Things happen for a reason. If we had to much random fights/events then how do you mitigate against it? You cant. Which would then become annoying. Fights are great but must happen for a reason.

And often times the reasons are misunderstood or not understood at all. Some guy walks up to you on the street, you've never seen him before, don't have any business with them, no common friends or enemies... He stabs you, why? Thats the random factor. It could be he was just psychotic, and THAT can be your answer to the cause of all randomness.
aurora123
level0

Postby aurora123 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:19 am

I vote yes. But I would like to see some AI behaviour closer to a real prison so it becomes important that the player has to manage security.

- Formation of gangs (cellblock gangs)? When they meet in the cafeteria war is going to break lose. :D
- Different emotional types of inmates? You will have the crazy ones, the brutal ones, the destructive ones beside all the casual ones leading to a lot of trouble if not managed well.
- Inmates attack staff and othe inmates ust on occasion?
- If the devs then provide more tools and possibilities for the player to manage security this could be a fun experience.
djchill
level1
level1

Postby djchill » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:08 pm

I agree. Maybe also seeing a "clever" prisoner AI, such that they'll start a fist fight when a guard isn't in direct LOS. (Saying that, I think something similar to this exists already for fights now?)
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:32 am

Kind of, a gaurd seems to react a bit quicker when looking at a fight than when he's farther away. I think the detection could use a bit of work especially with gaurds investigating odd sounds.
XmAkiNA
level2
level2

Re: More fist fights/brawls

Postby XmAkiNA » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:20 am

NathanChambers wrote:In my prison, fairly small so far, I have metal detectors at entrances to cell blocks and communal areas (Yard, Cafeteria) so I barely see any stabbings or fights. I reckon there should be more ambient fights, such as small punch ups over a tray or food or a space in the shower, with neither inmate being injured. (Much)
What do you guys reckon?

You set up a prison where there are no real options for weapons and a high security presence and yet you are surprised by the lack of fighting? Wasn't that the expected result? After all, *any* violence gets you put in lockdown so why bother if you know you can't critically injure your opponent in the few seconds you'll have?
Saranis
level2
level2

Re: More fist fights/brawls

Postby Saranis » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:34 am

XmAkiNA wrote:
NathanChambers wrote:In my prison, fairly small so far, I have metal detectors at entrances to cell blocks and communal areas (Yard, Cafeteria) so I barely see any stabbings or fights. I reckon there should be more ambient fights, such as small punch ups over a tray or food or a space in the shower, with neither inmate being injured. (Much)
What do you guys reckon?

You set up a prison where there are no real options for weapons and a high security presence and yet you are surprised by the lack of fighting? Wasn't that the expected result? After all, *any* violence gets you put in lockdown so why bother if you know you can't critically injure your opponent in the few seconds you'll have?

Because fist fights never occur in prisons...
Toast_Burner
level1
level1

Postby Toast_Burner » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:21 pm

BreadMurderer wrote:Things happen for a reason. If we had to much random fights/events then how do you mitigate against it? You cant. Which would then become annoying. Fights are great but must happen for a reason.
If you could prevent all problems then the game would get really boring really quickly. Your strategy should always be able to fail at any time, that way you'd have to think of back up plans and additional back up in case those plans fail.

Return to “Community Members”