[Suggestion] Food delivery

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Should we be able to have meals delivered to prisoners?

Yes
88%
No
12%

Total votes: 101
xsuite
level1
level1

[Suggestion] Food delivery

Postby xsuite » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:52 pm

Imagine an option where you can have meals delivered to prisoners in their cells. Many max and medium security prisons IRL have this set up to prevent the logistical nightmares behind moving dozens of criminals in and out of a large room several times a day. And when prisoner badness rankings are introduced, I can set it so that the worst and most violent prisoners rarely leave their cells, and as a result, cause less trouble in my prison.

I imagine it would be as simple as introducing an object called a food cart that holds a few dozen meal trays, and can be pushed around by cooks as they distribute the meals to the cells. Prior to meal time, the cooks would make meals, and stack them on the food cart, an then when the food cart filled up, and the time came, the cook would take the cart and deliver the meals to the cells.

Thoughts?
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:14 pm

I'd enjoy having the option, although not having a Fight Club (canteen) might take some of the Fun out of it. :)
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:29 pm

My fight club is a shower with five layers of solitary doors set to No one. My canteen's to0 big so they would run around, showers on the other hand force 120 prisoners into a small area.
4folders
level1
level1

Postby 4folders » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:37 pm

I think this should definitely be an option, as sometimes I have to keep prisoners in lockdown after a fight, and so they miss mealtimes, which causes even more fights, and they just all end up in handcuffs :/ This could be used as you have described, though I wouldn't like the canteen to be removed completely as I quite like it. I think it would be good if it could be implemented so you could select a number of cooks to attend to food delivery, and the others would serve the canteen. :)
LennyLeak
level2
level2

Postby LennyLeak » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:00 am

I would like this also. I would prefer if it was not the chefs that delivered it. The delivery should be handled by inmates or guards. It would really serve it's purpose (no pun intended) if you could designate a cell block to be either delivery based or canteen basedm so you could have gen pop in the canteen and people in ad.seg. would get their food delivered.
thekev506
level1
level1

Postby thekev506 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:15 pm

+1, if the game's going to develop into having higher/lower security prisoners this kind of thing makes sense
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:35 pm

What? No one wants to have a lovely chap convicted on double pre-medidated murder and prone to violent episodes with the low security prisoners? :cry:
Yes, that is a penguin with rabies. Deal with it.
Blackthorr
level0

Re: [Suggestion] Food delivery

Postby Blackthorr » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:15 pm

xsuite wrote:Imagine an option where you can have meals delivered to prisoners in their cells. Many max and medium security prisons IRL have this set up to prevent the logistical nightmares behind moving dozens of criminals in and out of a large room several times a day. And when prisoner badness rankings are introduced, I can set it so that the worst and most violent prisoners rarely leave their cells, and as a result, cause less trouble in my prison.

I imagine it would be as simple as introducing an object called a food cart that holds a few dozen meal trays, and can be pushed around by cooks as they distribute the meals to the cells. Prior to meal time, the cooks would make meals, and stack them on the food cart, an then when the food cart filled up, and the time came, the cook would take the cart and deliver the meals to the cells.

Thoughts?

1.(the bit i underlined) i don't think that coding anything into a game is simple. Not attacking the idea for the reason i have in 2. But given there's nothing like that at this time they'd have to write a new mechanic for it. (not a bad thing as you could also have mail carts which helps with family or whatever).

2. I kind of like the idea but only for solitary confinement, probably wouldn't be needed for normal prisoners.
Azarath
level2
level2

Postby Azarath » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:00 am

Depending on a persons coding style, almost anything can be simple :)

I vote yes on this, but only after prisoner classifications come in, since this seems to fit perfectly with that one.
Turbofant
level0

Postby Turbofant » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:27 am

I like the idea. Especially for prisoners in lockdown/solitary. A problem in the current game is, that prisoners in lockdown/solitary are not allowed to go to the canteen and eat. They get angry because they a hungry and start a fight, for witch they go into lockdown. You know where this is going ;)
Also I think it's a good thing for high security prisoners.
so wahat you gonna loose? you know you come from nothing, you are going back to nothing... so what have you lost? nothing!
Blackthorr
level0

Postby Blackthorr » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:57 pm

Azarath wrote:Depending on a persons coding style, almost anything can be simple :)

I vote yes on this, but only after prisoner classifications come in, since this seems to fit perfectly with that one.

I think in this case it probably doesn't matter about style. for a start route planning looks to me like it's point a -> b with the amount it has to travel you'd have to get them going to every cell where a prisoner is hungry a->b->c->d it'd have to tell any other chef's which one it's going too so they don't plan the same route. Also there's the new object you have to create, though that parts simpler in terms of graphics and health. But sending the communication of how full the cart is, and how many cells left to do if an entirely different kettle of fish. I won't carry on but there's about 4/5 other things that come to mind at a Pseudo code.

Not saying it's impossible.
mikepardon
level1
level1

Postby mikepardon » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:33 pm

I quite like the option. After I got a little bored of doing the prison I decided to make a "Hotel Prison" Which Pretty much consists of personal shower for each, their own weight bench, bed, tv, pool table etc.

This could help with that venture. Keep them in their room forever MWUHAHAHA!!!

Return to “Community Members”