Developer Menus or "cheats"

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

solid1020
level0

Developer Menus or "cheats"

Postby solid1020 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:01 pm

I'm sure I'm not the only one. I'd love to get access to those developer menus or cheat codes as they were called in the latest youtube video.
crazybmanp
level0

Postby crazybmanp » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:49 pm

I would love access to this too. Its a sandbox game, so i don't see why it would be a bad decision.
Mark_154
level1
level1

Postby Mark_154 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:56 pm

Agreed, we should have optoin for this in alpha at least.
Workman
level0

Postby Workman » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:45 am

Totally that would be awesome!
City Builder
level2
level2

Postby City Builder » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:25 am

While I would like it, I could see at least one reason not to have it.

1. They want people to test the game in vanilla format and give feedback on the game as it's being developed. Having the developer menu to spawn in anything at anytime the player wants would/ could taint the feedback that the user might actually give (if any). While some people would know the difference between giving feedback based on the vanilla game and the developer menu'd game there are many more people that wouldn't and may end up giving feedback based on using the developer menu.
XmAkiNA
level2
level2

Postby XmAkiNA » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:45 am

Seconding city builder. OpenTTD had to disable the ability to change GRF's mid-game because no matter how clear they made it that changing GRF's would cause problems and not to report any bugs after doing this, the bug reports kept coming in.

It would be cool, but right now we're still alpha testing and need to focus on real bugs, not made up ones.
lekkimsm2500
level1
level1

Postby lekkimsm2500 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:38 pm

XmAkiNA wrote:Seconding city builder. OpenTTD had to disable the ability to change GRF's mid-game because no matter how clear they made it that changing GRF's would cause problems and not to report any bugs after doing this, the bug reports kept coming in.

It would be cool, but right now we're still alpha testing and need to focus on real bugs, not made up ones.

As you should be made perfectly clear before tampering with any debug or dev menus, doing this will mess things up. Use it at your own risk!

On the topic of TTD, regardless of that, you can still get some GRF's that did what the debug menu did before, before they removed that function. And even now, setting GRF parameters, you can still break things badly.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:09 pm

The point is while it might be useful to some the end result is undesirable in an alpha and therefore should be released, if at all, at a much later date such as late beta or at/post release so as to keep the bug reports based on people breaking the game playing the game. Not people breaking the game maybe using a dev tool or maybe playing the game.
Yes, that is a penguin with rabies. Deal with it.
Workman
level0

Postby Workman » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:21 pm

I just basicly made a simple one so it changes the construction time to instant building, but the Wrokers still have to go there for it to work.
Just go into main.dat with a program like WinRar or 7-Zip go into data and replace the materials.txt file with THIS ONE

Thank you.
lekkimsm2500
level1
level1

Postby lekkimsm2500 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:38 pm

Workman wrote:I just basicly made a simple one so it changes the construction time to instant building, but the Wrokers still have to go there for it to work.
Just go into main.dat with a program like WinRar or 7-Zip go into data and replace the materials.txt file with THIS ONE

Thank you.

I just wished you wouldn't have used mediafire for it... Having that annoying Page and Sheet number going on all the pages

But thanks anyway

Return to “Community Members”