[suggestion] RPG element/guard level up

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

ryacko
level1
level1

Postby ryacko » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:09 am

basically make this game more like Majesty?

Sounds good.
Nibbles
level1
level1

+1

Postby Nibbles » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:50 pm

I personally approve of this idea as I can then build up an army of super asswhole guards to dominate over my prisoners and eventually the world. :D ... ?
Masochist
level1
level1

Postby Masochist » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:16 am

I am all for any RPG elements...the deeper the better. I cant bring myself to attach to, care about, or even bother to pay attention to faceless nearly nameless random NPCs.

Just cause they have individual names doesn't mean they are worth my time in any way, shape, or form other than to plop and forget about.
Nat3ski
level1
level1

Postby Nat3ski » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:42 pm

was about to post this myself and thought i would search first.

LOVE IT, LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT!

can we please leave out the tired old chuck norris reference though?
mikepardon
level1
level1

Postby mikepardon » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:06 pm

I also like this idea, just to reinforce.
Saranis
level2
level2

Postby Saranis » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:07 am

I'm against it on the principle that not all games require RPG elements.
Jacq
level1
level1

Postby Jacq » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:39 pm

Havn´t read it all, but PA could pick up a few ideas from the original Tropico where each individual besides needs had a host of other stats.

It worked liked this:

There where 5 basic needs(food, housing - aka sleep -, religion, entertainment and healthcare) that each individual would have to fullfill every once in a while: when the foodbar runs low, they would need to eat some food, when the sleepbar went low they would need to sleep etc.

Each of these however where also together with 5 other needs(Crime safety, environment,liberty,job quality and respect) rated for how important each of these where to the individual. So someone living in low-quality housing would likely weigh housing high and most other things wouldnt matter to much whille this was high. Gotta have a roof over your head before thinking about entertainment right. Someone living in a crimefree zone wouldnt care too much about crime safety so they would weigh it at 0 or 1, while the opposite would be true for persons in crime ridden areas.

These ratings would change over time as things improved or deteriorated and added an interesting layer to the basic factors. Basically this layer decided how happy an individual where, and eventually how they would vote in elections.

Each individual also supported and detracted 1-2 of the 6 factions in the game. Someone who where a +++ supporter of the communists would in the games logic value housing higher and not care too much about the environment.

The final layer was 3 stats:

Intelligence: Decided the rate of skill aquisition. Each job had a specific skill that would go up over time so someone who had been a farmer and a soldier would have two skills.
Courage: Decided how likely the person where to join a revolt if they where unhappy
Leadership: Decided how likely the person where to start a revolt if they where unhappy

So here is an example of 2 persons from one of my games:

Analisa Duran lives in a shack (lowest quality) but apparently she dosnt seem to value housing particulary high (2nd chart, color indicate weigth), her job seems to matter more to her(probably because she is a capitalist moderate and not a communist).
She was apparently a showgirl before becoming a cook taking the amount of skill into consideration.

Ricardo Gutierrez lives in the best possible house there is. FOOD is ranking high on Ricardos values. Housing dosnt matter at all understandable, considering where he lives. He is a strong capitalist supporter (kinda a given beeing a banker), have a spouse and 4 children.

Something similar could be used for PA to give the game more character without player involvement.
xngxng
level1
level1

Postby xngxng » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:53 pm

I want complexity in the form of freedom of creativity, not randomness. So please, do not make an RPG out of this. More than 9 out of 10 of all games recently released are RPGs, go play them instead. =)

We already have bureaucracy with a tree of WoW-like talents, and I have yet to understand why you need to level-up to buy a camera.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:51 pm

Saranis wrote:I'm against it on the principle that not all games require RPG elements.

This, plus the following, at least with regard to staff: the prisoners are all unique. The staff are all anonymous cogs in the machine that is the penal system. Aesthetically speaking, I prefer the idea that all of the guards are interchangeable and undistinguished.

xander
SpaceVelociraptor
level1
level1

Prisoner Traits

Postby SpaceVelociraptor » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:33 pm

Going back to the prisoner traits for a minute, I would prefer a little more variety in them. I like what people were saying earlier about having prisoners that are more experienced, veterans of the prison system. The thing that might be a little tricky is them actually leveling up while they are in your prison. I would prefer if the prisoners came in with a certain level of experience, but maybe not go right out and say "level 27 prisoner". I would prefer if it told you how much time the person had served previously, to give you a good approximation of what kind of experience they have. I would prefer more hidden rpg traits. The game might tell you the various things that the prison system might know, their crimes, any gang past, and you could kind of guess what kind of things they are good at.
Setari
level2
level2

Postby Setari » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:59 am

/signed.

I like this idea!
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:23 am

signed
With the sincerest regards,