Suggestion: Enable clone at start of game for free

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

acleveralias
level0

Suggestion: Enable clone at start of game for free

Postby acleveralias » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:09 am

I really don't understand why clone should be a function that must be unlocked with time and in-game currency. It is a function of the UI which exists to make playing the game less tedious, shouldn't be viewed as an in-game reward.

Arguably players need this tool the most when they are first setting up their prison, so artificially disabling the tool just makes the game less accessible from the start.

In "realism" terms, I'm not sure what unlocking it is intended to represent. You play as a professional architect, and I imagine copy-paste is a function available in any professional design software.

Final thought: please reward clever play over willingness to endure tedium.
Andersen
level1
level1

Postby Andersen » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:32 pm

I support this

I have never had the cash to unlock this feature, as I do not play with mods and I don't alter the savegame/gamefiles...
Domnonos
level0

Postby Domnonos » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:00 pm

I support this as well. It just seems like a feature that should be available at the beginning.
I would also love if the "clone area" were bigger since I usually build cell blocks and when one is build I would like to just be able to clone the entire thing and not do it on a cell by cell basis :)
Ste881
level1
level1

Postby Ste881 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:19 pm

Domnonos wrote:I support this as well. It just seems like a feature that should be available at the beginning.
I would also love if the "clone area" were bigger since I usually build cell blocks and when one is build I would like to just be able to clone the entire thing and not do it on a cell by cell basis :)

+1 this.
Chr12t0pher
level0

Postby Chr12t0pher » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:37 pm

How about the current clone tool is unlocked at the start, but it is possible to upgrade it through bureaucracy?
Finnboghi
level0

Postby Finnboghi » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:19 pm

Chr12t0pher wrote:How about the current clone tool is unlocked at the start, but it is possible to upgrade it through bureaucracy?

Was about to suggest this.

I'd say the clone tool as it exists now should be available from the start, with the ability to grow it to cell-block size as an unlockable upgrade.
Sebas
level1
level1

Postby Sebas » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:50 pm

i like the clone upgrade idea.
Carmelle
level1
level1

Postby Carmelle » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:15 pm

I'm in for it being available from the start... and think that having to upgrade it is a bit silly too. As the OP stated, it's a UI enhancement, not really a gameplay element.
Sebas
level1
level1

Postby Sebas » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:55 pm

see it as a money sink, this would it make the game slightly more difficult due the money could buy you new cells or what not
Azarath
level2
level2

Postby Azarath » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:20 am

Nah, money sinks are typically repeatable things, this is a one time thing.

+1 to the available from the start with options to upgrade idea.
rsdworker
level3
level3

Postby rsdworker » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:50 am

i do like it
acleveralias
level0

Postby acleveralias » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:18 am

Sebas wrote:see it as a money sink, this would it make the game slightly more difficult due the money could buy you new cells or what not

It is a money sink that doesn't really make any sense. How is the price of an upgrade to your drafting software comparable to the price of a significant piece of a large building?

The main point is that UI functionality should NOT be something the players have to earn. Forcing the players to choose between a more accessible UI and more stuff for their prison is a dumb choice that will bother players (certainly bothered me!).

If they want to build out their system of rewards/tech tree/unlockables, consider:
    Nicer looking building materials.
    Upgrades to staff performance.
    More advanced items to place in rooms.
    Cost reductions / upkeep cost reductions.
    Wardens/Chiefs/etc with special abilities.

This is all stuff that makes sense to unlock. NOT THE UI!
ZeroOne3010
level0

Re: Suggestion: Enable clone at start of game for free

Postby ZeroOne3010 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:57 am

acleveralias wrote:I really don't understand why clone should be a function that must be unlocked with time and in-game currency. It is a function of the UI which exists to make playing the game less tedious, shouldn't be viewed as an in-game reward.

Bothers me too, so I'm 100% with you on this one. Anybody, please name another game where this kind of a "UI-enhancing with in-game currency" element exists? You cannot, because it hasn't been done before because it's such a silly idea!
arwan
level2
level2

Postby arwan » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:26 am

Chr12t0pher wrote:How about the current clone tool is unlocked at the start, but it is possible to upgrade it through bureaucracy?

this

possibly have it clone utilities as well if upgraded and upgrade its size box.
LennyLeak
level2
level2

Postby LennyLeak » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:29 am

Domnonos wrote:I support this as well. It just seems like a feature that should be available at the beginning.
/signed

Return to “Community Members”