[Suggestion] ECO Friendly Prisons

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Nibbles
level1
level1

[Suggestion] ECO Friendly Prisons

Postby Nibbles » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:02 pm

Bill me for my prisons energy usage.
Also let me build solar panels to have free electricity.
....please :D

Thoughts?
ronanc
level4
level4

Postby ronanc » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:29 pm

Ahh I was looking forward to reading something more fleshed out than that OP :(

What else have you got?
koshensky
level3
level3

Postby koshensky » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:13 pm

I agree with Ronanc...

I don't know if it would actually add anything at all to the gameplay, but it would be quite interesting to see if you could make your prison entirely self sufficient. I'm thinking:

Gardens
----------
Prisoners are given the opportunity to work on sections of an allotment growing vegetables and fruits that the prisoners can then enjoy at meal times, instead of slop and gruel. Only trustees would be eligible to work in the prison gardens. I guess the downside could be the potential for poisoning the food, but the work around would be to have experienced cooks able to identify inedible food. This would force you to have enough cooks to handle the appropriate amount of food, otherwise it could easily fall through the gaps and somebody die. Equally, the chances of this being intentional would be quite slim as the prisoners couldn't guarantee who they would hurt, maybe even themselves. The benefits of this of course being that it would count as part of the Prison Industry, giving prisoners something to do and allowing them to earn money doing it.

Waste
-------
Food waste could all be collected in a compost heap that over time would provide luscious compost that would give food a boost. A nice hearty meal with well grown ingredients could make prisoners feel a lot more content to be in prison and greatly reduce their need for freedom.

Power
-------
A section of your prison could be given to sustainable energies, that would allow you to put power back into the grid and thus allowing more opportunity to generate revenue for the prison. Depending on the map this could take the form of solar, wind or even water, if you happened to have a river nearby. The obvious limitation to this is the space that it would take up. The best place for solar would be on the roof, but we can't see the roof, so that makes it redundant. You could have solar panels on stalks, but this would really only be a necessity if other elements of the game were brought into play. Geography could play a huge part of how well powered your prison is, as would public opinion, if ratings were brought in. Having a strict regime might not be so horrific to the public if your entire prison was run on green energy, allowing you to get away with more.

Largely, I'm imagining that this would chill the prison out a lot more, relieve the tension of everybody going stir crazy, and give you a better reputation as a whole due to the fact that your prisoners are less likely to reoffend than they would if they were subject to gang persuasion and violence in a different prison.
Saranis
level2
level2

Postby Saranis » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:08 am

koshensky wrote:I agree with Ronanc...

I don't know if it would actually add anything at all to the gameplay, but it would be quite interesting to see if you could make your prison entirely self sufficient. I'm thinking:

Gardens
----------
Prisoners are given the opportunity to work on sections of an allotment growing vegetables and fruits that the prisoners can then enjoy at meal times, instead of slop and gruel. Only trustees would be eligible to work in the prison gardens. I guess the downside could be the potential for poisoning the food, but the work around would be to have experienced cooks able to identify inedible food. This would force you to have enough cooks to handle the appropriate amount of food, otherwise it could easily fall through the gaps and somebody die. Equally, the chances of this being intentional would be quite slim as the prisoners couldn't guarantee who they would hurt, maybe even themselves. The benefits of this of course being that it would count as part of the Prison Industry, giving prisoners something to do and allowing them to earn money doing it.

Waste
-------
Food waste could all be collected in a compost heap that over time would provide luscious compost that would give food a boost. A nice hearty meal with well grown ingredients could make prisoners feel a lot more content to be in prison and greatly reduce their need for freedom.

Power
-------
A section of your prison could be given to sustainable energies, that would allow you to put power back into the grid and thus allowing more opportunity to generate revenue for the prison. Depending on the map this could take the form of solar, wind or even water, if you happened to have a river nearby. The obvious limitation to this is the space that it would take up. The best place for solar would be on the roof, but we can't see the roof, so that makes it redundant. You could have solar panels on stalks, but this would really only be a necessity if other elements of the game were brought into play. Geography could play a huge part of how well powered your prison is, as would public opinion, if ratings were brought in. Having a strict regime might not be so horrific to the public if your entire prison was run on green energy, allowing you to get away with more.

Largely, I'm imagining that this would chill the prison out a lot more, relieve the tension of everybody going stir crazy, and give you a better reputation as a whole due to the fact that your prisoners are less likely to reoffend than they would if they were subject to gang persuasion and violence in a different prison.

I'd just like to add that gardens (and their toolsheds) could also include another place for prisoners to acquire contraband... just saying.
Citizen
level2
level2

Postby Citizen » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:21 am

Some of you guys are just bananas. Prison is where we house the men who rape, steal and murder. They turn dreams to nightmares, destroy families and laugh as they plot their next villainous act. We don't need adopted cats, or eco friendly nonesense (unless we can turn prisoner corpses into power). We need gangs and violence and ways to suppress and control it. WE NEED MORE TYRANNY!
kongoman
level2
level2

Postby kongoman » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:30 am

Citizen wrote:Some of you guys are just bananas. Prison is where we house the men who rape, steal and murder. They turn dreams to nightmares, destroy families and laugh as they plot their next villainous act. We don't need adopted cats, or eco friendly nonesense (unless we can turn prisoner corpses into power). We need gangs and violence and ways to suppress and control it. WE NEED MORE TYRANNY!

Fínally someone who grasps the concept of this game. This is not The Sims FFS!
+1

Return to “Community Members”