More women in staff

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

phees
level1
level1

More women in staff

Postby phees » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:33 am

It would be nice if there was a 50/50 quota of women in the staff.
Each time you hire someone you have a 50% chance to get a female/male worker.

The current setup is a bit old fashioned with only the doctors and accountants being female.
Causeless
level2
level2

Postby Causeless » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:25 am

Heh, call me sexist but to be honest I like it - there's a certain comedy in having the stereotypes of big muscular guards, fragile nurses, boring unattractive accountants, scruffy workers, etc. It adds to the art style in a way.
Ste881
level1
level1

Postby Ste881 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:16 pm

Its good to see PC version doesn't stand for politically correct :D
crummett
level2
level2

Postby crummett » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:33 pm

at a guess I'd say most guards in male prisons are men? for no other reason than a woman is less likely to be able to deal with an out of control prisoner
koshensky
level3
level3

Postby koshensky » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:15 pm

crummett wrote:at a guess I'd say most guards in male prisons are men? for no other reason than a woman is less likely to be able to deal with an out of control prisoner

I don't know what the statistics are, but there's definitely quite a few female prison officers in many different documentaries and stories I've seen/heard. I had a female warden come and give a talk at my uni last year which was pretty eye opening as well. Not a position I would have imagined many women take.

Regardless, I kind of both do and don't agree. There shouldn't be women just for the sake of having them there, because that's redundant. They might as well be asexual guards for all I care. However, if it actually changed the dynamic of how prisoners acted or how the guards acted then definitely.

That being said, it would only work if there was an element of experience to the staff as well. New guards should be a bit clumsy, new female guards will get a period of hazing more than men, etc. however this would ideally diminish over time and even work in reverse, so the older guards get more respect.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:41 pm

Right now, the prisoners all have a lot of personality (different body types, colors, hair, &c.), while the staff and administrators are all the same. In a sense, the staff are like cogs in a machine while the prisoners are unique snowflakes that can ruin the machine. There is something about this setup that I rather like, though I can't quite put my finger on why. In principle, I am all for more female staff, but maybe not at the price of ruining the above cited uniformity.

xander
Collic001
level2
level2

Postby Collic001 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:36 pm

I agree with xander above. The uniformity of the guards and other staff does seem to add a little something. Perhaps it's the order versus chaos factor - that is after all why uniforms exist for both the prisoners and the guards, and probably one of the reasons why prisoners tattoo each other and do what they can to hang on to some sense of individuality. It's a theme thats often explored in prison inspired fiction. Yeah.. keep it how it is.
HowPeculiars
level2
level2

Postby HowPeculiars » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:49 pm

I don't think this is "necessary" as such. As has been pointed out it does seem to fit the style.

Theme Hospital had exclusively male doctors and handymen, exclusively female nurses and receptionists. Rightly or wrongly it seemed to work?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:35 am

Since it does appear that there are going to be custom wardens, maybe a few of the wardens should be female?

xander
koshensky
level3
level3

Postby koshensky » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:56 am

xander wrote:Since it does appear that there are going to be custom wardens, maybe a few of the wardens should be female?

xander

Presumably this would be down to those among us who bought the warden tier, rather than introversion?
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:47 am

This assuming that IV dosn't make a few extra wardens just for the sake of making a few extra wardens that might have their own unique characteristics.
Lewis
level1
level1

Postby Lewis » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:41 am

I agree, a mix and female-only prison option is a reasonable request for the final product.
BoozleBox
level1
level1

Postby BoozleBox » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:08 pm

I think it is a good idea there should be more of a mix and as koshensky said it would be nice to see the staff gain experience or add some kind of training option. Not sure if what I'm about to said is 100% right but as far as I've seen there are no female prisoners. This might be something else that could be added which could then lead to different game dynamics :idea:
crummett
level2
level2

Postby crummett » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:43 pm

HowPeculiars wrote:I don't think this is "necessary" as such. As has been pointed out it does seem to fit the style.

Theme Hospital had exclusively male doctors and handymen, exclusively female nurses and receptionists. Rightly or wrongly it seemed to work?

it did work. looking back, it may have been a little on the sexist side haha. Although that moody bitch running my reception deserved her crappy pay
Nibbles
level1
level1

Postby Nibbles » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:06 am

crummett wrote:at a guess I'd say most guards in male prisons are men? for no other reason than a woman is less likely to be able to deal with an out of control prisoner

Female guards in female prisons.. duh :D

Return to “Community Members”