Killzones

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:39 am

Daimaju wrote:
111none wrote:
"Many Texans are gun nuts" is quite true, is it not?

hmm.. yep :D
I agree with you, most of the time in china, guns areused as a last resort. and i believe this game does not need to turn into call of duty or postal.

Thats the point, last resort.

i think guns should have different ammo (3)
1) rubber bullets, which can stop fights, may kill a prisoner if he is already serriously injured
2)tranquilizer darts, used to stop escapees that have not gotten out of the main prison (expensive?)
3)live ammo, last resort and will serriously injure /kill
With the sincerest regards,
111none
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:39 am

Okay, big group hug..

..one
..two
..three..
Daimaju
level2
level2

Postby Daimaju » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:54 am

111none wrote:
Daimaju wrote:
111none wrote:

I agree with you, most of the time in china, guns areused as a last resort. and i believe this game does not need to turn into call of duty or postal.

1) rubber bullets, which can stop fights, may kill a prisoner if he is already serriously injured
2)tranquilizer darts, used to stop escapees that have not gotten out of the main prison (expensive?)

1) What makes you think a rubber ball kills someone if he already is injured? Please be more specific?
2) Good idea, tazers in general. They are being used in RL as well in prisons. Contra: Short range only.
3) Being hit by a live round must not mean death. Its the opposite actually. Most people who get shot survive without further complications.

The game should handle it like that. Shooting someone should not be a death sentence... uh, the irony... :D
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:03 am

Daimaju wrote:
111none wrote:
Daimaju wrote:
111none wrote:

1) What makes you think a rubber ball kills someone if he already is injured? Please be more specific?
2) Good idea, tazers in general. They are being used in RL as well in prisons. Contra: Short range only.
3) Being hit by a live round must not mean death. Its the opposite actually. Most people who get shot survive without further complications.

The game should handle it like that. Shooting someone should not be a death sentence... uh, the irony... :D
ok, so what if you hit them in the eye socket, and they lost alot of blood already, im not saying they SHOULD kill, but just have a chance.
2)+1
3) i think it would depend on what type of guard it was, if it was a war vet,, maybe he would aim for the head. A rookie maybe not. Also you need to factor how dangous the prisoner is and what they might do. Suppose its a terrorist, they might massacre or kill other in a sucide bombing run.
But what if its a video game pirate?
I think there should be a setting for this like, aim to disable or halt prisoner, kill on sight, or dont shoot.
I also want to see a setting for number of warning shots
111none
Daimaju
level2
level2

Postby Daimaju » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:08 am

111none wrote:ok, so what if you hit them in the eye socket, and they lost a lot of blood already, im not saying they SHOULD kill, but just have a chance.

Then you would, probably, be blind on that eye. No one bleeds to death because his eye gets destroyed, that is hollywood ;)
However, If those bullets can stop someone 100m away, I like to believe they might penetrate eye+eye socket at close range, being able to fatally damage the brain. But thats pretty much everything I can imagine.

3) i think it would depend on what type of guard it was, if it was a war vet,, maybe he would aim for the head. A rookie maybe not. Also you need to factor how dangous the prisoner is and what they might do. Suppose its a terrorist, they might massacre or kill other in a sucide bombing run.
But what if its a video game pirate?
I think there should be a setting for this like, aim to disable or halt prisoner, kill on sight, or dont shoot.
I also want to see a setting for number of warning shots

Err, if we would have war vets shooting to kill, they are the wrong guy for the job.
To cut it short: They should react how they react in reality: reasonable and by law, not like psychoes or the way they seem fit.
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:13 am

What i was tring to say is the guards reaction is important
And yes, in texas the owner of cattle can shoot you if you steal their cattle
111none
Daimaju
level2
level2

Postby Daimaju » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:17 am

111none wrote:What i was tring to say is the guards reaction is important

Indeed.

And yes, in texas the owner of cattle can shoot you if you steal their cattle

Uhh... I assumed that, but why do you mention it?
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:19 am

Just goes to show differences between states. ;)
I like how the devs are looking at this, i wonder what is chris opinion on this
111none
Daimaju
level2
level2

Postby Daimaju » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:21 am

I would like to know as well.
They are so silent... Either bathing in money, or working on A8... I hope for them it's the latter :twisted:
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:27 am

Daimaju wrote:I would like to know as well.
They are so silent... Either bathing in money, or working on A8... I hope for them it's the latter :twisted:

i think its the second one, chris said he doesnt lie to voice his opinion, because itkills the conversation.
111none
Parker22
level2
level2

Postby Parker22 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:23 am

Just to go back to the rubber bullet debate.

An easy game mechanic is it could add 50% damage to an inmate at a certain range. Therefore could equal death if used too close on an injured miscreant
Daimaju
level2
level2

Postby Daimaju » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:48 am

caveatgez wrote:Just to go back to the rubber bullet debate.

An easy game mechanic is it could add 50% damage to an inmate at a certain range. Therefore could equal death if used too close on an injured miscreant

Which would be flat out unauthentic and silly.

People dont die from rubber bullets.

What they do is delivering blunt force, causing bruises and pain. They dont make you bleed like crazy.
People die from bleeding to death (=body lacks O² support) or destruction of the central nervous system, not from a rubber ball causing bruises.
LennyLeak
level2
level2

Postby LennyLeak » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:01 pm

Daimaju wrote:@Lenny
I was not offended at all, I was just curious why you said what you said, since Im always curious and need to know everything... It's a habit.

Anyways, I definitely agree with you on many points. Still, regarding that very topic, prisons, I definitely think that shooting at a prisoner who tries to escape is 'ok'. He is in prison because he was declared a danger to society, in most if cases. He knows what happens - or can happen - if he runs away. In the end, he can only blame him self if he ends up with a bulloet in the leg... or head.

We also share the believe that circumstances matter. If I would be on watch, would I shoot at an escaping prisoner who "just" committed, let's say, a money related crime? No, not lethally, how could I ever sleep again? Still, it is "legal" to shoot him in that case. More precise: The guard would not suffer legal consequences if the prisoner dies during his attempt.

Maybe that clarifies my point. Of course "not open for discussion" was quite harsh and quickly sentenced... another habit :wink:
Okay, glad to hear it. I just realized that my comment looked more harsh on the forum than it did in my head.

As I said in my last post I think there is some mixup of legality and legitimacy in this thread. Shooting an escaping convict may or may not be legal and/or legit (as in morally right). You might have a (legal) right to shoot someone but that does not mean that it is (morally) right to do so, and vice versa. If opening fire is legal then it's legal, I'm obviously not arguing that. I'm just saying that while shooting someone can be morally right, it will not be automatically right just because they are escaping from prison. It depends on a lot of other things. The fact that they knew they might get shot is not sufficient to make it morally right to shoot them.

But enough of that from me... Go killzones :)
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:02 pm

When I was reading your discussions about effectiveness of rubber rounds it made me think of another non-lethal weapon I hadn't thought of in awhile.

It's called the Active Denial System, not very self explanatory but from the first paragraph that I read it gave a fair description of it. Currently it's military but LAPD wants to use it in their prisons at least from the time of when that article was written.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System
Yes, that is a penguin with rabies. Deal with it.
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:25 pm

christopher1006 wrote:When I was reading your discussions about effectiveness of rubber rounds it made me think of another non-lethal weapon I hadn't thought of in awhile.

It's called the Active Denial System, not very self explanatory but from the first paragraph that I read it gave a fair description of it. Currently it's military but LAPD wants to use it in their prisons at least from the time of when that article was written.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System

not to be offensive, but these things cost millions
111none

Return to “Community Members”