Assigning guards to patrol routes, not rooms

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

bradinvancouver
level1
level1

Assigning guards to patrol routes, not rooms

Postby bradinvancouver » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:58 am

Currently, we assign guards to rooms and draw patrol routes within these rooms. What this doesn't accomodate is patrol routes that go between rooms. Say I want to have a guard walk into my utility room where I have my generator, but not always be in that room.

Instead of assigning guards to rooms, let's assign guards to patrol routes. A simple change that has almost the same functionality, but offers more flexibility.
Playergamer
level0

Re: Assigning guards to patrol routes, not rooms

Postby Playergamer » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:07 am

bradinvancouver wrote:Currently, we assign guards to rooms and draw patrol routes within these rooms. What this doesn't accomodate is patrol routes that go between rooms. Say I want to have a guard walk into my utility room where I have my generator, but not always be in that room.

Instead of assigning guards to rooms, let's assign guards to patrol routes. A simple change that has almost the same functionality, but offers more flexibility.

Um, actually, you can still have patrol routes between rooms. For instance, I have a holding cell with a common room attached. I can set up a patrol route that has the guard walk a lap around in the holding cell, enter the common room, walk a lap, enter the holding cell, and repeat.
bradinvancouver
level1
level1

Postby bradinvancouver » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:08 am

Playergamer wrote:Um, actually, you can still have patrol routes between rooms. For instance, I have a holding cell with a common room attached. I can set up a patrol route that has the guard walk a lap around in the holding cell, enter the common room, walk a lap, enter the holding cell, and repeat.

Odd. If I assign a guard to a room, he won't patrol out of that room. He gets to the door and then "snaps back" to the route inside the room. If I don't assign a guard to a room, he won't follow any patrol route.

It works differently for you?
ronanc
level4
level4

Postby ronanc » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:14 am

I have the same results as you bradinvancouver. I've a feeling that Playergamer is seeing things differently due to holding cells (and normal cells) folding into a parent room. A screenshot would be worth checking out...

Regarding your first post, the zoning upgrade may give you what you want.
koshensky
level3
level3

Postby koshensky » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:35 am

It's likely that PlayerGamer didn't have a door between his holding cell and his Common Room - as Doors are what are required for separating patrols, as opposed to room type.
ronanc
level4
level4

Postby ronanc » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:47 am

koshensky wrote:It's likely that PlayerGamer didn't have a door between his holding cell and his Common Room - as Doors are what are required for separating patrols, as opposed to room type.

You're right about the door thing. I'm testing here though with and without a door and the guard will not follow my patrol route between two rooms.
Playergamer
level0

Postby Playergamer » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:07 am

But i do have a door there.
ronanc
level4
level4

Postby ronanc » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:21 am

See if you can make a guard follow a patrol route between two room that aren't cells or holding cells.
KingOfZeal
level1
level1

Postby KingOfZeal » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:49 am

Playergamer wrote:But i do have a door there.

As said earlier, cells do not count as individual rooms, but instead fold into the room they are off of. On the deployment screen, they show up as the same color.

I suppose a better or more literal way of stating this is "allowing a guard follow a patrol that goes into multiple differently-colored sectors".

But this is also something I would like to see. Plus, if you have a big room but are only patrolling one side of it, it can be a little disorienting to see the spots that show how many guard are assigned be in a very different place than where the guards actually are. To me, assigning them to a room should be equilivant to assigning them to a patrol that takes up the area of the room (which would also get rid of how guards align themselves when assigned to a room with no patrol route).
Saranis
level2
level2

Postby Saranis » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:58 am

I had to just go and double check this, but holding cells DO NOT fold into a parent room as has been stated. At least not in Alpha 3 when separated by a double door. As far as guards traveling from a holding cell to another room through a door following a patrol, my results have been the same as most people. He gets to the door and turns around, he wont go through it.
ronanc
level4
level4

Postby ronanc » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:10 am

Actually you're right, it's just individual cells that fold. Double checked it there...
Saranis
level2
level2

Postby Saranis » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:06 pm

ronanc wrote:Actually you're right, it's just individual cells that fold. Double checked it there...

I think they did in Alpha 2, at least I remember assigning a guard to my Holding Cell, though it may have been to the parent room and only assigned to it via a patrol route.
bradinvancouver
level1
level1

Postby bradinvancouver » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:40 am

This is still an issue in Alpha 6. Arguably more-so with the partition of prisoner sections (meaning my guards can't navigate between doored areas).

Return to “Community Members”