CCTV Monitor Configurations

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

koshensky
level3
level3

CCTV Monitor Configurations

Postby koshensky » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:16 am

In watching the Alpha 3 release video, you can clearly hear Chris lay down a challenge to see how many CCTV cameras one guard can monitor, so let's find out...

First of all - what do we know about CCTV Monitors:

- They have a 3x3 grid that a guard must be inside of
- They have a limited time period where the guard can be elsewhere and not looking at them.
- This countdown period lasts 30 seconds.
- Each CCTV Monitor allows you to control 3 CCTV cameras.

So, obviously I first started by lining them up. It takes a guard an average of 15 seconds to walk 9 squares (3 CCTV Monitor banks). Add in those monitors that are exactly opposite and so take up no more of your guards time - and you have a line of 6 monitors, resulting in 18 CCTV cameras. Stick a monitor at each end facing toward the guard, and you can just about squeeze in 8 monitors (24 functional cameras).

However, I was sure I could do better than that.

Keep in mind, that the guard is making the journey once, but then he doubles back and atleast half of his return journey is wasted because he's already seem those cameras. What I wanted was a more indirect approach, that would allow me to see more, whilst continually moving.

The result of that was a circle of monitors, with two monitors in the middle, giving me a very acceptable 30 operational CCTV cameras.

For what it's worth, the metal flooring acted as a good way to demonstrate my patrol route, but it also supposedly has a walk speed of fast. I didn't really see them walking that much faster, but every fraction of a second counts...

That previous picture looked a little bit lopsided and unsymmetrical to me however, so I figured I might as well push it to see just how far I could go... By making my room a little bigger, I could fit two columns of 3 on each side, two rows of 2 at the top and bottom, and a square of 4 monitors in the middle, making a total of 14 monitors. Unfortunately my guard was a second too slow to allow him to see the full 42 cameras, however he was able to see 36 cameras, and was only two or three steps behind the cameras as they deactivated. In terms of efficiency, I think this is probably as far as he can go on his own.

The question is... can we get any more? (without abusing the CCTV monitor bugs :P)

---Update---

Wanted to keep it all neat and tidy, so here we go. Someone on Twitter (one of you... probably... who knows who anybody is any more?) pointed out that if I put a monitors directly behind one another, the 3x3 square grid still works on my guards patrol route. Strictly speaking I find this a bit hacky, due to the fact that it's possible to overlap CCTV monitors at the minute, which means they could either take up 1 square or 2 squares in depth (the sprite helpfully takes up 1.5 squares).

Still, It is possible, and we can just pretend that they're raised to allow him to see over the top of the previous bank of monitors :P

That makes the current record 63 cameras, or 21 CCTV monitors.

Last edited by koshensky on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adico
level1
level1

Postby Adico » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:24 am

we know he ask for 1 guard but... what about 2?

It would not only duplicate but also add those extra seconds that you need... SCIENCE TIME!
City Builder
level2
level2

Postby City Builder » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:35 am

When I tried two they seemed to walk in tandem so I don't know, perhaps the fraction of a second that split them apart would be enough to do the last layout shown, guess we'd have to try and see. I'm interested.

Edit: Perhaps I just need to get one walking and then add the second guard and hope that they are spread out enough and stay that way.
AMV
level0

Postby AMV » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:09 am

Very nicely done. Kudos to you,a nd thank you for the nice screentshots to go alongside.
koshensky
level3
level3

Postby koshensky » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:00 pm

Yay update. Wanted to keep it looking all neat and tidy, so I just edited the top post.
RMJ1984
level2
level2

Postby RMJ1984 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:33 pm

Its a bit overkill.

I would go as far as to you, 1 guard you only be able to use one station max. I mean its a bit overkill and boring tbh.

Also im assuming that in the future, guards and all our workers will need to take breaks, so you will have other guards replace them when they go to the relax room.
ronanc
level4
level4

Postby ronanc » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:48 pm

Very nice work kosh'!
svsplun
level0

Postby svsplun » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:03 pm

Nice :D

You could still add one station in the inner circle (to the right), which would add another 3 to your efficient setup :)
koshensky
level3
level3

Postby koshensky » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:47 pm

Damn it! You're right I can place on there, although the speed it takes the guard to walk around is about 35 seconds, which means that he can only see 66 cameras for about 1/4 second before the cameras in front of him start to deactivate.

Until the overlapping bug is fixed though, we can't tell for sure whether we really can double up or not.
Hessen
level3
level3

Postby Hessen » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:48 pm

You'll end up with a CCTV monitoring room so big that it will need its own CCTV camera.
City Builder
level2
level2

Postby City Builder » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:27 pm

Brilliant with the 21 monitors, but I smell a fix coming that will prevent that. LOL
Faracus
level2
level2

Postby Faracus » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:41 pm

Easily you could just build hundreds of monitors on top of each other and just the guard in front of it, so right now there is no limitations to how many monitors can be viewed at once.
koshensky
level3
level3

Postby koshensky » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:52 pm

Faracus wrote:Easily you could just build hundreds of monitors on top of each other and just the guard in front of it, so right now there is no limitations to how many monitors can be viewed at once.

Sure, but that's an obvious bug, so I didn't exploit it :P
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Re: CCTV Monitor Configurations

Postby Mas Tnega » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:37 pm

Game speed has some serious impact on things. If you want the system to fail miserably, full speed ahead. If you want unerring perfection, slomo or GTFO.

At normal speed, it's... *ahem* not completely stable. In fact, sometimes the CCTV count drops to sixty from not having reached the four on the left leg of the circuit soon enough, like so. It's almost interesting to watch. You're never quite sure when a CCTV monitor will throw its next strop, but all of them will, eventually.
City Builder
level2
level2

Postby City Builder » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:59 pm

Faracus wrote:Easily you could just build hundreds of monitors on top of each other and just the guard in front of it, so right now there is no limitations to how many monitors can be viewed at once.

I couldn't get that to work myself. I built tens and tens of monitors ontop of each other and stationed a guard with just 2 patrol squares (just so that he would actually move in case it was needed that he doesn't just stand still) and the game told me that I could support something like 13 cctv's, I then removed the patrol path and just let him stand in the middle of it and nothing changed. I dont' know why it would work for others but I couldn't abuse (err, try) this type of layout. ;)

Return to “Community Members”