Fog of War - Your feedback here

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:56 am

Hurrah!

Difficult to know from the tweet though whether the god-view thingy still exists. I hope not.
Das_Wuff
level1
level1

Postby Das_Wuff » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:52 am

I like the new fog of war. Looks much more manageable. Also, I had a bug report on this that might be an interesting addition to the discussion:
http://bugs.introversion.co.uk/view.php?id=391

"I realize this is nitpicking, but when you place a guard in a walled off area with a door (Or even presumably a walled off area, leaving the poor guard trapped to rot) the guard can remove fog of war in the next room over, where he shouldn't even be able to see. I thought that it might have been because I built a foundation, then built walls inside the foundation, but the guard could even remove fog of war from an adjacent building. Perhapse as a solution later down the line, have areas within the guard's 'bubble' that aren't regularly visible (IE behind a wall) glow or flash red, as if they can hear a scuffle from the other side of the wall."
Ada
level1
level1

Postby Ada » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:38 am

koshensky wrote:Updated Fog of War based on the feedback we've all been giving, as per Introversion twitter:

https://twitter.com/IVSoftware/status/2 ... 09/photo/1

MUCH MUCH BETTER.

The fog of war as it is now is worse than not having fog of war due to all irritating moments.

That patch seems to fix all these. Great success! :D
mjp_1987
level1
level1

Postby mjp_1987 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:09 pm

The new fog of war looks great, I assume this, or something similar will be implemented in the next Alpha?
BreadMurderer
level1
level1

Postby BreadMurderer » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:25 pm

Brilliant! That is a much improved (and quickly implemented!) FoW - Bravo.
SpaghettiOs
level0

Postby SpaghettiOs » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:45 pm

Das_Wuff wrote:I like the new fog of war. Looks much more manageable. Also, I had a bug report on this that might be an interesting addition to the discussion:

"I realize this is nitpicking, but when you place a guard in a walled off area with a door (Or even presumably a walled off area, leaving the poor guard trapped to rot) the guard can remove fog of war in the next room over, where he shouldn't even be able to see. I thought that it might have been because I built a foundation, then built walls inside the foundation, but the guard could even remove fog of war from an adjacent building. Perhapse as a solution later down the line, have areas within the guard's 'bubble' that aren't regularly visible (IE behind a wall) glow or flash red, as if they can hear a scuffle from the other side of the wall."

It would be nice to have some kind of line-of-sight element for guards' vision, or at least have them only reveal the building they are currently in.
Collic001
level2
level2

Postby Collic001 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:47 am

SpaghettiOs wrote:
Das_Wuff wrote:I like the new fog of war. Looks much more manageable. Also, I had a bug report on this that might be an interesting addition to the discussion:

It would be nice to have some kind of line-of-sight element for guards' vision, or at least have them only reveal the building they are currently in.

Currently it seems quite basic, and vision areas seem to ignore walls entirely. I wouldn't be surprised if this is changed in later releases though.
Gemberkoekje
level1
level1

Postby Gemberkoekje » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:12 pm

My opinion is that it comes a bit too quickly when building new stuff. I have 2 ideas:

1. Have full vision when there are no prisoners in a specific building. For example if you have office buildings.
2. Failing that, have a grace period of - say - half a day where you have full vision in a newly built building. Normal FOW rules apply either as soon as a prisoner enters the building for whatever reason, or when the grace period is over.
Gemberkoekje
level1
level1

Postby Gemberkoekje » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:14 pm

koshensky wrote:Updated Fog of War based on the feedback we've all been giving, as per Introversion twitter:

https://twitter.com/IVSoftware/status/2 ... 09/photo/1

oh, release this. NOOOWWW~!
Hoppryngil
level0

Postby Hoppryngil » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:52 pm

Yes, i think the dev screenshot on twitter is a much better fog of war system to the one we currently have in Alpha 3. It will make the initial construction phase much easier in my opinion. In Alpha 2 I really enjoyed spending time planning my initial build. In Alpha 3 this phase feels more like a chore (and less enjoyable) because of the visibility problems caused by the fog of war. Hopefully we'll see this new fog of war system implemented in a new build sometime soon.
Lance_Lake
level1
level1

Postby Lance_Lake » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:09 pm

paktsardines wrote:Hurrah!

Difficult to know from the tweet though whether the god-view thingy still exists. I hope not.

Same here. I think the "god-view" was so that people could still build in the fog of war. Now that it isn't an issue, I would be disappointed if the god-view was still there.
Hoppryngil
level0

Postby Hoppryngil » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:37 pm

Lance_Lake wrote:
paktsardines wrote:Hurrah!

Same here. I think the "god-view" was so that people could still build in the fog of war. Now that it isn't an issue, I would be disappointed if the god-view was still there.

Agreed, I don't see any reason why the 'god-view' would be needed with the new fog of war system. Hopefully it'll be removed in the next build.

Return to “Community Members”