Fog of War - Your feedback here

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

ronanc
level4
level4

Postby ronanc » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:47 pm

I'm going back to alpha 2, FoW is spoiling the fun. At least when starting a new prison. I like to contemplate my work, but with the way FoW is implemented, I can't.

You can disable it when you start a new prison.
Causeless
level2
level2

Postby Causeless » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:21 pm

Over wrote:I'm going back to alpha 2, FoW is spoiling the fun. At least when starting a new prison. I like to contemplate my work, but with the way FoW is implemented, I can't.

... you seriously never noticed the "Fog of war" option?
Faluk
level1
level1

Postby Faluk » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:30 pm

Crunch wrote:In the current state the fog of war just adds frustration to my gameplay experience. It's a major pain to manage ANYTHING (i.e. Doctors, Switches, build stuff, Kichten staff, etc.). I hope the so-called god-view isn't removed from the final version. If I want to play an RTS title or round based strategy game (the only two genres where FOW makes sense IMHO) I do so. But this is a tycoon-type game after all. I assumed CCTVs allowed the guards to react on situations in other parts of the prison on their own...

+1 to this.
Over
level0

Postby Over » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Ooops, no because in both new games I've tried, I've started from a saved game with some early buildings to save time. :oops:

BTW, with no FoW, CCTV is useless, right?
Causeless
level2
level2

Postby Causeless » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:40 pm

Over wrote:Ooops, no because in both new games I've tried, I've started from a saved game with some early buildings to save time. :oops:

BTW, with no FoW, CCTV is useless, right?

But it starts disabled on old game saves anyways, iirc...
Adico
level1
level1

Postby Adico » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:55 am

as i see many people don't like the FoW i made a tileset that makes the fog 10% less, well.. foggy?

File: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?s0941k1i73he3ca

screenshot:

This is not really Mod worthy because hey, is something is probably going to change so yeah, this is just if you want to play with FoW but don't wanted full on.

Instructions:

1)Make a "data" folder where PA is installed.
2)put "tileset.png" on said folder.
3)have less fog.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:50 am

Wow, I've played fog of war with three games now, and have and have had to change my pants each time. Now though, I feel I'm calm enough to give some thoughts:

1. I love this feature.
2. It is not perfect, but I don't think it's far off.

The two problems I have:
1. I don't want my underlying rooms/structures/objects to disappear when the fog rolls in as this makes building/expanding a headache.
2. I don't like the 'god' mode mouse thingy. BUT, I think this feature's only reason for being is to solve the problems caused by 1.

So, what I'd like to see:
1. Don't let me see prisoners, just let me see the rooms/structure/objects beneath (even if faded/washed out by the fog). Ideally I'd like to be able to see the objects as they were when my guard last patrolled, but if this is too difficult to implement, then displaying them faded where and as they really exist is a better option than having the 'god' eye mode thingy.
2. This will negate the need for a god-eye thingy, which I really don't like. I think having the god's eye thing completely undermines the whole point of fog of war. Why have fog if we can peer through it whenever we want?
3. Depending on how the game plays after these, consider letting all staff uncover fog - possibly to varying degees. ie: guards can see more than other staff (due to their training, no doubt).
Linkor
level0

Postby Linkor » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:59 pm

I also think that the FoW isn't well implemented as it is right now. The problem being that this game is about being a builder of a prison, you want to see your prison and see what you want to build next, and how your current buildings look. But the fog of war takes away half the game, and is especially anoying when you're building new buildings. The solution which many have sugested, I think is greate is either freezing the state when FoW activates, so you still know how it looked before FoW was activated... Or simply not showing prisoners.
koshensky
level3
level3

Postby koshensky » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:07 pm

Updated Fog of War based on the feedback we've all been giving, as per Introversion twitter:

https://twitter.com/IVSoftware/status/2 ... 09/photo/1

ronanc
level4
level4

Postby ronanc » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:39 pm

koshensky wrote:Updated Fog of War based on the feedback we've all been giving, as per Introversion twitter:

https://twitter.com/IVSoftware/status/2 ... 9/photo/1/

This looks much much better. Alpha 4 should be fun :)
Causeless
level2
level2

Postby Causeless » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:40 pm

Mmm, much better! I hope we still get the foggy view during the yet-to-be-implemented riots, though (assuming that the prisoners will cover up CCTV during them). Made it a bit freakier.
ronanc
level4
level4

Postby ronanc » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:51 pm

Causeless wrote:Mmm, much better! I hope we still get the foggy view during the yet-to-be-implemented riots, though (assuming that the prisoners will cover up CCTV during them). Made it a bit freakier.

Ya someone already suggested that in this thread:

ronanc wrote:Solution - this fog we have now for riots and something like RTS fog (desaturated colours and no prisoners on screen) for normal fog?

He's a bit of a moron though so I wouldn't pay this idea too much attention. :wink:
syntax
level0

Postby syntax » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:57 pm

Updated Fog of War based on the feedback we've all been giving, as per Introversion twitter:

juhuui.... thx.. I like how IVSoftware handle User feedback :) now I am wondering, what Chris and Mark thinking about the "new" fog
Collic001
level2
level2

Postby Collic001 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:43 am

koshensky wrote:Updated Fog of War based on the feedback we've all been giving, as per Introversion twitter:

https://twitter.com/IVSoftware/status/2 ... 09/photo/1

Brilliant. Exactly what we asked for. Thanks Introversion :D

Causeless wrote:Mmm, much better! I hope we still get the foggy view during the yet-to-be-implemented riots, though (assuming that the prisoners will cover up CCTV during them). Made it a bit freakier.

I still think the revised fog of war is good for riots, with maybe another visual indicator that the entire area is out of your control (red outline or such like perhaps). You'll still get a great reveal when you enter the area to find its completely trashed and everything has been destroyed. IMO it's better to see a nice orderly set of cells when you know full well that isnt whats actually going on inside.

To me that is much more tension inducing than just the entire area being covered in inpenetrable grey. Each to their own though, I guess. Either implementation is fine, really.
Dr Bloodmoney
level0

Postby Dr Bloodmoney » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:10 am

Just saw the updated Fog of War on twitter, I think it will be a great improvement.

Return to “Community Members”