Fog of War - Your feedback here

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Lance_Lake
level1
level1

Postby Lance_Lake » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:38 pm

1) Fog of war should take into account walls.

2) When the mouse cursor is hovering over the blocked line of sight, overlay some things. I.e. the fake heads when tunneling happens. This requires a guard to find it and you can't "Cheat" by scanning it yourself.

3) Guards should reveal like they were walking cameras. A cone effect depending on their facing. I don't see why a guard can reveal an area he just left.
Ste881
level1
level1

Postby Ste881 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:17 pm

I'm really not enjoying fog of war. If it really must be in the final game I hope it comes with an option to switch it off. I'm a bit of a control freak and I like to see where everything is and be able to influence it.
crummett
level2
level2

Postby crummett » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:30 pm

Lance_Lake wrote:
3) Guards should reveal like they were walking cameras. A cone effect depending on their facing. I don't see why a guard can reveal an area he just left.

its only revealed behind him for a period of time isnt it? It makes perfect sense. If he's walked through an area from one side to another, no one is going to be in there for a short period at least. If i check a room for enemies, then walk away, i know there is no one in there for a while
Saranis
level2
level2

Postby Saranis » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:37 pm

I'm not a fan of the way the current fog of war works. I feel that it should show how the area PREVIOUSLY looked when last revealed by a guard or CCTV instead of showing nothing but a gray nothingness. I mean are you seriously going to tell me that the warden (who I imagine as being whom the player is) completely forgets what part of his prison looks like just because theres not a guard in the immediate area RIGHT NOW!?

This has the benefit of both hiding prisoners/crimes and still showing known objects/walls. Any alteration to objects/walls that are made by prisoners/staff shouldn't show up until a guard revisits the area. This includes workers placing objects, building walls, and Prisoners destroying things in a fit.
legendin
level0

Postby legendin » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:08 am

The fog of war is very frustrating. I don't mind it as a mechanic but it needs to be implemented differently. Take away being able to see over your cursor but change fog so it doesn't block objects and walls inside a building, just people. It's too hard to design your floor plan or remember if you placed something when you can't see anything. What should happen is all walls and objects should fade into grey scale but still be visible while people disappear entirely. Cameras and guards can still remove the fog of war but not being able to see anything is rough and will turn people off. It's also hard because the fog of war will block the number stating how long an edge you are placing if you are placing a wall or tiles inside.
Katalliaan
level1
level1

Postby Katalliaan » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:49 am

I think that it'd be a good idea to use the same style fog of war that many RTS games uses - hide the inmates and desaturate the rest (as it was last seen). Lockdown could be changed to, say, a red filter.
razgriz9327
level0

Postby razgriz9327 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:02 am

I agree with changing fog of war to a blueprint mode with a mouseover rather than actually being able to see... makes things to easy. however, increase the sight radius of the blueprint
syntax
level0

Postby syntax » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:37 am

+1 changing fog of war
- walls & fixed objects always visible (but not the condition)
HowPeculiars
level2
level2

Postby HowPeculiars » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:44 am

Fog of war should be prison wide, relative to staff and CCTV.

I'm all for CCTV posts, wherein a CCTV station needs to be manned by a member of staff for the connected fog of war to be lifted. The effectiveness of each unit of CCTV station should be dictated by the number of CCTV connected to it (So no connecting 3000 cameras to be observed by one member of staff).
koshensky
level3
level3

Postby koshensky » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:59 pm

HowPeculiars wrote:Fog of war should be prison wide, relative to staff and CCTV.

I'm all for CCTV posts, wherein a CCTV station needs to be manned by a member of staff for the connected fog of war to be lifted. The effectiveness of each unit of CCTV station should be dictated by the number of CCTV connected to it (So no connecting 3000 cameras to be observed by one member of staff).

This is exactly how CCTV Monitors work.
ronanc
level4
level4

Postby ronanc » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:02 pm

koshensky wrote:
HowPeculiars wrote:Fog of war should be prison wide, relative to staff and CCTV.

This is exactly how CCTV Monitors work.

How peculiar :lol:
Causeless
level2
level2

Postby Causeless » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:12 pm

I think someone here hasn't even started up the alpha #3...
gsuberland
level2
level2

Postby gsuberland » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:09 pm

I've found the fog of war to be particularly annoying when building the prison at the start. It's almost impossible to see when your workers are stuck, and it's even worse when looking for that one piece of equipment that hasn't actually finished yet. Plus it takes a lot of cash and time to get CCTV, and even then it's not very effective - you need more guards and cash to run the CCTV than you need to just patrol around. I wouldn't mind it as much if the CCTV could see further than about 5m (seriously!?) and it didn't take one guard per tiny area to police it.

I'm pretty sure this feature is going down the route of "cool stuff" that actually sucks the fun out of play. It's a nice idea, but it just isn't conducive to fun. I found myself getting quickly frustrated with it, and went into my save and turned it off.
In prison, you get your own toilet. At work, you have to share.
Citizen
level2
level2

Postby Citizen » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:46 pm

Fog of war should take into account walls.

Guards should reveal like they were walking cameras. A cone effect depending on their facing. I don't see why a guard can reveal an area he just left.

Need a blueprint option so we can build properly when FoW is on.

I LIKE Fog of War!
Over
level0

Postby Over » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:41 pm

I'm going back to alpha 2, FoW is spoiling the fun. At least when starting a new prison. I like to contemplate my work, but with the way FoW is implemented, I can't.

Return to “Community Members”