Fog of War - Your feedback here

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Illanair
level3
level3

Fog of War - Your feedback here

Postby Illanair » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:54 pm

Saw the V3 alpha video - loving the concept of fog of war.

Few comments though.

- Why do only guards reduce fog of war? Surely all personnel should be able to report back. My initial idea would be to give all non security personnel a small radius of sight to show that they are minding their own business, not actively looking out for the inmates.

- The "god sight" thing. I think you might be a bit TOO forgiving. Surely only giving off the furniture and interior walls away when looking over a building is enough? If the crims aren't been observed they should be hidden.

- Fog of war takes too long to "grow" in my opinion but I'm sure it could be altered in steps as part of a difficulty system.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:02 pm

[Suggestion]Perhaps they'll implement the blueprint mode and you will be able to see a hybrid of sorts; blueprints showing existing/planned walls for fog, actual walls for non-fog? [/Suggestion]

Also, do medical staff/workers in prisons normally have communication with guards (radios)?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Faracus
level2
level2

Postby Faracus » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:09 pm

I must say, it's a good job I already have guards patroling all my prisoner rich areas, but what about the thousands of CCTV's I've purchased?
Illanair
level3
level3

Postby Illanair » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:09 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:Also, do medical staff/workers in prisons normally have communication with guards (radios)?

More in terms of your employees getting beaten to death by inmates - they currently just stand there and take the beating instead of fleeing and running to the nearest guard as they should. (If memory serves - I'm tired :() Giving them a very small Line of Sight around them (or in front of them) would help keep them at least minimally safe.
Prison Officer UK
level1
level1

Postby Prison Officer UK » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:14 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:Also, do medical staff/workers in prisons normally have communication with guards (radios)?

Medical Staff have radios as they also have to respond to any general alarm bells in case of injuries. Our works department carry radios, however, they are on a different network, although they could contact an officer by calling up the communication room, who could then broadcast the request on our network.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:15 pm

Haha, in one if my escapee tests, I had 100+ inmates in violent fighting mode escape through the one hole in the Wardens office, they completely ignored him as they left (not the one or two guards that finally showed up though) and he ignored them. :shock:

The workers will run away from fleeing inmates.
ronanc
level4
level4

Postby ronanc » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:16 pm

Why do only guards reduce fog of war?

I like that it's only the guards but I see where you are coming from too. Perhaps there could be an option for just guards or all staff to reduce the fog.

The "god sight" thing. I think you might be a bit TOO forgiving.

I really like this. I imagine it would be very frustrating without it. Again, it could be an option down the line..

Fog of war takes too long to "grow" in my opinion

Yes, perhaps a bit too long at the moment. Will have to play it more to see.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:18 pm

ronanc wrote:
The "god sight" thing. I think you might be a bit TOO forgiving.

I really like this. I imagine it would be very frustrating without it. Again, it could be an option down the line..

That's why I think a hybrid blueprint mode would be perfect for that. If you were a real person in a prison, you'd be looking at plans of the buildings if you couldn't see inside, right?
ronanc
level4
level4

Postby ronanc » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:20 pm

Nice idea but you won't see furniture. I like it like this.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:24 pm

Why wouldn't you? Have you ever looked a blueprints before? They can, and do, show furniture. :P
ronanc
level4
level4

Postby ronanc » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:30 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:Why wouldn't you? Have you ever looked a blueprints before? They can, and do, show furniture. :P

I figured you meant a chalk line view but ya of course, you have that faded furniture view too.
RMJ1984
level2
level2

Postby RMJ1984 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:56 pm

Lol posted in wrong topic
MaxiKana
level0

Postby MaxiKana » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:27 pm

A very neat feature! I like it a lot!

First when I read about it I didn't think it would add this much to the game! But it really does! I love the frustration of not being able to see into rooms.

Though a few suggestions:

- Let any staff member reveal the fog, as they're on the players "side" so to speak.

- Make it at least sort-of line of sight based with the current delay timer. Right now guards and cctv cameras see through walls, which IMO make it a bit easy for you to see into every jail cell across a large cell block.

EDIT:

I'd also get rid of the "god" line of sight hovering about the mouse. How about adding in a "blueprint" mode; Maybe modifying the current utility view to show walls and furniture and placed-but-not-yet-built stuff as well? This way you can still "see" into buildings to build stuff but you can't see what's actually going on.
bobmeier
level0

Postby bobmeier » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:29 pm

Im definitly in favor of other employes also having a (possibly smaller than the guards') field of view...
Currently, it just seems a little bit too dificult to retain enough oversight of the prison, and from a logical/realism point of view, it doesnt really make sense that I can't see into my Office Building without CCTV or a guard, despite there being both the Warden and the Chief Guard inside. From that perspective, I might understand that builders don't expand my view of the prison, as they are probably not skilled in keeping watch over a prison. But with these two (and possibly the doctors) I asume it would make sense that they have a field of view.
Collic001
level2
level2

Postby Collic001 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:06 pm

Re-posting my feedback here from this thread http://forums.introversion.co.uk/prison ... php?t=1043 regarding the fog of war:

I agree that desaturated colour, with objects represented as they were the last time you had vision of the area is the best way to handle fog of war. This would eliminate the need to have a cursor highlight to 'peek' under the fog of war as well. The idea of fog of war is brilliant, but I would like to see it graphically represented in a way similar to this rather than what we have now.

If it did work like this you could be looking at a cell you dont have vision of with its regulation bed and toilet as normal, only to discover when a guard walks by that the prisoner is kicking his bed to pieces and the toilet is smashed and flooding out into the corridor. It would look better, create brilliant 'oh crap' moments, and just be a lot cooler.

Colour desaturation would conflict with the current lockdown effect, but honestly, I think that (or something similar) is best used for the fog of war with another effect used for lockdown somewhere down the line.

Return to “Community Members”