We need volunteers for Mantis Moderators

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

We need volunteers for Mantis Moderators

Postby Chris » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:08 pm

Hey all,

Our Mantis database is rapidly filling up with lots of bug reports, which is fantastic news. But we are also seeing a lot of duplicates being entered. We need a small number of volunteer moderators for Mantis who can keep an eye on incoming bug reports and delete duplicates as they happen, or at least link them together.

Please enter your name in this thread to volunteer, and let us know if you've had previous experience with Mantis / bug tracking generally.

Thanks all!
Last edited by Chris on Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simmy
level0

Postby simmy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:21 pm

I wouldn't mind lending a hand, I can usually spare an hour or 2 most evenings.

I'm a full time computer programmer, most of my time is spent triaging, prioritising and fixing defects in our software so I have a lot of general experience with bug tracking. I've never used mantis before, past logging a defect with you a few days ago but I'm sure I can soon pick it up.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:37 pm

I nominate Phydaux and ronanc---they seem to be pretty on-top-of-things.

xander
koshensky
level3
level3

Postby koshensky » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:49 pm

I'm up for volunteering. I've had experience with bugzilla in the past as a reporter/user on a couple of development projects we did at work for phone apps, and I'm more or less always active and constantly checking the forums, not forgetting the suggestion collation - which is similar to bug reports :P

--edit--

Edited to add a bit more detail than just "I used bugzilla".
Last edited by koshensky on Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guvnor
level2
level2

Postby Guvnor » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:49 pm

Hi Chris,

Glad to see you asking for this. The dupes drive me batty. I was actually thinking of asking about this. I would be very happy to help moderate Mantis. I don't have previous experience with Mantis, but I am a 20+ year IT Pro.

Guvnor
ronanc
level4
level4

Postby ronanc » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:07 pm

xander wrote:I nominate Phydaux and ronanc---they seem to be pretty on-top-of-things.

xander

Thanks for the nod xander but I'll bow out of the race as I have no bug tracking experience to speak of and I've a big project coming up soon which I'll have to devote my time to.
Phydaux
level5
level5

Postby Phydaux » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:09 pm

xander wrote:I nominate Phydaux and ronanc---they seem to be pretty on-top-of-things.

xander
heh thanks :)

I would be happy to help. I've not used Mantis other than as a submitter, but I've used other bug-tracking software. I'll be available for a few hours most evenings, at least for the moment.
rsdworker
level3
level3

Postby rsdworker » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:29 pm

i would be volunteer to help out - my name is Rsdworker so i know alot of bug trackers and i been forum Admin for years and also owner as well so i am fully knowledgeable of all things
Last edited by rsdworker on Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xenxander
level1
level1

Postby xenxander » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:52 pm

I could offer my help into the mix.

I was a moderator to another forum once when I worked nights.

I had access to the forum tools necessary to remove posts and give explanations.

Sadly I can't link the forum because it doesn't exist any longer (it was an Odin sphere/Atlas forum).
However I have noticed duplicates as well.

If you need extra help on top of the others who have volunteered I will do what I can.
I'm poking into the mantis daily anyway, albeit for a few minutes at a time but it's enough time to remember what's already been posted as we only need a few minutes to read new posts.
Kat
level0

Postby Kat » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:07 am

I'd like to throw my name in the pool.

I've done bugfixes/CS/troubleshooting for multiple projects, the largest of note being the Technic Pack for Minecraft, boasting an 81k memberbase.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:17 pm

As someone who put some time into moderating these forums I feel obliged to post here. Sadly I don't have enough time to take up something like the tracker continuously next to keeping the forums in check since I'm a bit too busy with other projects at the moment (I might be able to do one or two hours a week, but that's it) so I'm afraid I must decline.

Without trying to be an asshole, I want to point out it was very much to be expected that the same issues would arise on a tracker as would on the forums, and although the effort of setting up the tracker is appreciated it obviously hasn't solved the issues the way the biggest complainers predicted it would. (tl;dr: I told you so.) For that reason I still feel that switching back to the forums (with perhaps one or two additional moderators) would take less effort and be just as easy.

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:34 pm

jelco wrote:As someone who put some time into moderating these forums I feel obliged to post here. Sadly I don't have enough time to take up something like the tracker continuously next to keeping the forums in check since I'm a bit too busy with other projects at the moment (I might be able to do one or two hours a week, but that's it) so I'm afraid I must decline.

Without trying to be an asshole, I want to point out it was very much to be expected that the same issues would arise on a tracker as would on the forums, and although the effort of setting up the tracker is appreciated it obviously hasn't solved the issues the way the biggest complainers predicted it would. (tl;dr: I told you so.) For that reason I still feel that switching back to the forums (with perhaps one or two additional moderators) would take less effort and be just as easy.

Jelco

I agree with everything you are saying, but I want to add one thing in favor of the bug tracker: COLORS! WHEEEE!

xander
ronanc
level4
level4

Postby ronanc » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:37 pm

@ jelco

No system is perfect but the tracker is infinitely better than the forum for tracking bugs IMHO.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:42 pm

ronanc wrote:@ jelco

No system is perfect but the tracker is infinitely better than the forum for tracking bugs IMHO.

I know it is only your opinion, but you are wrong. Infinity is a very large concept, and there is no way that the improvement is that large. It just isn't mathematically possible. :P

xander
ronanc
level4
level4

Postby ronanc » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:46 pm

Can't argue with that logic :cry:

Return to “Community Members”