Page 2 of 23

Careful...

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:26 pm
by Flanker360
Many of these suggestions are great, but be careful not to overcomplicate this terrific game. A major appeal to this game is how the prison sort of runs itself, with prisoners and staff automatically acting and reacting to situations. So much happens with minimal involvement of the player, and that's a really cool aspect of the game. Add too much control or too many details or complexities, like guards on strike, female prisoners, etc., and the game could lose that appeal.

A way to satisfy both sides could be to make a lot of these suggestions optional. Before players start their prison, let players check which options they want for their prison. For example, let players select whether or not they want female prisoners, want research on or off, starting money, total sandbox mode, level of instability in staff/prisoners, etc.

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:22 pm
by Faracus
I want to suggest guards being able to move slightly faster than inmates. It's frustrating seeing them escaping and guards can't catch up to them, or when they pass through a metal detector, the guard can't catch him to search him until the prisoner has stopped long enough.

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:13 am
by xander
They don't need to be faster---they just need Tasers. ;)

xander

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:21 pm
by BreadMurderer
Excellent work collating all these ideas, I would love to see most of them implemented to be honest. I only got the game yesterday and think it has huge potential. I hope to make a list of "improvements" over the next few days. (Once I review what has all ready been posted - and this clearly helps!) Will you be updating this sticky?

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:07 pm
by koshensky
Just added an extra section to the top of the list, to indicate what kind of discussions are being had at the minute, and what people want to see. Largely because we've got so many ideas for how to improve this game, a lot of them are coming back to the surface, indicating that they are current in people's minds.

Regardless of if Introversion acts on the information or if it influences their decision process, it will at least give us all a quick overview of what's going on now, rather than a long list where new things will get easily lost.

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:02 am
by Nightmoon
Something on my wish list: There doesn't seem to be a way to demolish interior walls of a building. The object dismantle tool doesn't work on walls, and the foundation demolish tool makes holes in the building which are then considered "outside". So maybe a similar tool for materials?

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:11 am
by ronanc
Nightmoon wrote:Something on my wish list: There doesn't seem to be a way to demolish interior walls of a building. The object dismantle tool doesn't work on walls, and the foundation demolish tool makes holes in the building which are then considered "outside". So maybe a similar tool for materials?


Solution: Lay concrete (or another indoor tile) over the walls.

Don't use the demolish tool in the game for this.

Do use the search tool in the forum for this. :wink:

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:12 am
by Adico
Nightmoon wrote:Something on my wish list: There doesn't seem to be a way to demolish interior walls of a building. The object dismantle tool doesn't work on walls, and the foundation demolish tool makes holes in the building which are then considered "outside". So maybe a similar tool for materials?


you can use any indoor tile to destroy a wall, simple select the tile you want (or concrete floor), then hold the mouse over the wall in cuestion and select the are a you want change.

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:57 am
by mokaiba
Would be nice if yard did not have a 5x5 requirement. Its only thing that prevents me from having perfect luxury cells is the yard.

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:10 pm
by Krall
I didn't see the idea myself, but I would like:

Visitors implemented with the ability to do face to face visits with the prisoners. You could have someone's mom smuggle in a cake with a file inside :)

Visitors would also be able to cause disruptions to the prison population. Imagine scantily clad 2D sprites walking in distracting the guards while prisoners bolt for the door.

Newspaper:

Would love to see a newspaper flash on the screen when a prisoner escapes. "The town of Greenville under lock down today as mass murder Gorilla Monsoon escapes the Greenville penitentiary! Police advising residents to stay indoors"

You could also have an inspector make monthly visits. If your prison is too out of control on repeat visits the feds shut you down.

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:12 pm
by Krall
ronanc wrote:
Nightmoon wrote:Something on my wish list: There doesn't seem to be a way to demolish interior walls of a building. The object dismantle tool doesn't work on walls, and the foundation demolish tool makes holes in the building which are then considered "outside". So maybe a similar tool for materials?


Solution: Lay concrete (or another indoor tile) over the walls.

Don't use the demolish tool in the game for this.

Do use the search tool in the forum for this. :wink:


That doesn't always work for me. I have on many occasions tried to lay concrete floor tiles over a wall and the game doesn't allow me to, it turn the selected area red indicating you can't do it. I have to demolish the area around the tile I want to remove and then lay down the concrete.

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:57 pm
by Carmelle
Krall wrote:That doesn't always work for me. I have on many occasions tried to lay concrete floor tiles over a wall and the game doesn't allow me to, it turn the selected area red indicating you can't do it. I have to demolish the area around the tile I want to remove and then lay down the concrete.


Lay down the floor material over top of the wall you want to remove, don't start dragging beside it. You have to be explicit in saying that the wall should be replaced with the new floor material instead.

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:23 am
by HerrJoebob
Carmelle wrote:
Krall wrote:That doesn't always work for me. I have on many occasions tried to lay concrete floor tiles over a wall and the game doesn't allow me to, it turn the selected area red indicating you can't do it. I have to demolish the area around the tile I want to remove and then lay down the concrete.


Lay down the floor material over top of the wall you want to remove, don't start dragging beside it. You have to be explicit in saying that the wall should be replaced with the new floor material instead.


To clarify, the game has a very nice feature where the new material only replaces blocks of the same type as what you started on. If you start on a concrete floor, it'll only replace concrete floors. This is really nice for re-flooring an area.

On topic, if even a quarter of these suggestions get implemented this will be a DF killer... Fantastic list. :)

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:55 pm
by PanH
HerrJoebob wrote:On topic, if even a quarter of these suggestions get implemented this will be a DF killer... Fantastic list. :)


Hm, why ? I do appreciate PA, but his theme is not the same, and the complexity level neither (even with the suggestions). They have similar gameplay design, but I don't really think there's "competition" or something between the 2.

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:04 am
by Maroon
Agreed, guards need to be able to run faster than Prisoners. I mean, really. What kind of guard gets outran by a handcuffed, chained convicts, being fed on prison food?