Current Suggestions Compilation List

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:02 pm

MAdMaN wrote:
Xcevion wrote:i would like to see an extension of the usable character/letters/accents/umlauts so that translations can be more accurate

that would be awesome

That will almost certainly be coming at some point.

Given IV's previous games, I wouldn't hold my breath. :(

xander
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:18 pm

xander wrote:
MAdMaN wrote:
Xcevion wrote:i would like to see an extension of the usable character/letters/accents/umlauts so that translations can be more accurate

that would be awesome

That will almost certainly be coming at some point.

Given IV's previous games, I wouldn't hold my breath. :(

xander

Considering the issue with non-English characters in a user's profile stopping people from playing the game I can see them including it when they patch the problem.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:28 am

MAdMaN wrote:Considering the issue with non-English characters in a user's profile stopping people from playing the game I can see them including it when they patch the problem.

That, actually, is likely a separate problem, and may indeed get fixed. I thought we were talking about the text that is shown in game, which may never properly show accented characters.

xander
OpexDamo
level0

Postby OpexDamo » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:52 am

hey i may have scrolled over this in the initial post but i don't think so (could be wrong). an idea i would like to see and may even be added in alpha 13 is the ability to search an entire room without having to click every item in said room and click search. its very monotonous and not very fun, for most part little rewarding, where the searching of the cells is much more user friendly (just only does cells and prisoners) with shakedown.

just something i noticed with new contraband its a pain to check everywhere.

also in regards to
"More limited regime to prevent "FreeTime" play"
i had an idea may not be original but anyhow. why not have it so freedom isnt a need its a slide bar, that has Freedom on one end and something else on the other, and have effects that occur depending on where the slider bar is at. for example too much freedom = more stealing and tunneling etc but happy with needs, where less freedom unhappy about no freedom as an effect but less stealing tunneling etc

besides that loving the game, continue the great work
RWBlackbird
level0

Postby RWBlackbird » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:43 pm

Anoniempje wrote:
MAdMaN wrote:
kaszimir wrote:i would also like to see multiple floor levels, since a common prison design involves a U shaped cell block with 2-3 stories of cells stacked up on each other.

Been suggested many times before. Isn't going to happen, especially now we can buy more land.

That's not a very good reason. You see, we build upwards, or downwards, because it saves money. You dont need to purchase more land. You can build on things you already have. It saves not only in land, but time and materials as well. Why would I need to lay 100 meters of powerline to some far reaches of the prison when i can use 2 meters and I'm in my new area. Why would my guards run a marathon to get the new prisoners to their cells when they could be shoved up/down some stairs or into an elevator.

Then of course the designs and realism. What if we want to build actually london tower, Alcatraz, Shawshank, Walking Dead, Prison Break, WW2 camps, the one where where my dad got shanked, the one where my uncle worked. Those are not flat prisons they go up and down.

Pff, "We can buy land".
really, what a way to limit your imagination.

If the devs to what they claim and listen to suggestions, and this suggestion is rather popular, they will (need) to find a way to implement this, it may take a few builds of ground work, maybe a rewrite or 10, but by if they are good on their word, and they seem to be, they'll find one way or another to implement good suggestions or give us a damn fine reason why they won't.

It's a bloody computer and if you are a programmer, you can build anything. So 'can't' is never an acceptable answer.

I understand this matter has been raised before, but I'm new to the forums and did not receive a chance to comment on it. I completely agree with this. If the developers claim to be inspired by Dwarf Fortress, they should realize how important z-levels are to the game. Prison Architect isn't Dwarf Fortress, of course, but the potential for this game is severely hindered if building is limited to a single level. People like Dwarf Fortress because of its depth, despite its very unorthodox user interface, ASCII graphics, and steep learning curve. Dwarf Fortress allows the player to think of something and then provides tools to accomplish it in-game. The same is true with Minecraft. Players, and especially creative types like architects, enjoy having freedom to build. I implore the developers to reconsider implementing z-levels. Hire some more programmers if you need to. Beg for money. Delay the game six months. I'd gladly wait that long if that's what it took to do the game right. Most importantly, communicate. If this feature is omitted, then players' creativity is stifled, and the game will only reach a fraction of its potential.
manlymeatman
level1
level1

Postby manlymeatman » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:40 pm

RWBlackbird wrote:If this feature is omitted, then players' creativity is stifled, and the game will only reach a fraction of its potential.

What creativity is being stifled? Anything you can do on a second floor can be done already.
wildbillhdmax01
level1
level1

Postby wildbillhdmax01 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:38 am

RWBlackbird wrote:
Anoniempje wrote:
MAdMaN wrote:
kaszimir wrote:i would also like to see multiple floor levels, since a common prison design involves a U shaped cell block with 2-3 stories of cells stacked up on each other.

Been suggested many times before. Isn't going to happen, especially now we can buy more land.

That's not a very good reason. You see, we build upwards, or downwards, because it saves money. You dont need to purchase more land. You can build on things you already have. It saves not only in land, but time and materials as well. Why would I need to lay 100 meters of powerline to some far reaches of the prison when i can use 2 meters and I'm in my new area. Why would my guards run a marathon to get the new prisoners to their cells when they could be shoved up/down some stairs or into an elevator.

Then of course the designs and realism. What if we want to build actually london tower, Alcatraz, Shawshank, Walking Dead, Prison Break, WW2 camps, the one where where my dad got shanked, the one where my uncle worked. Those are not flat prisons they go up and down.

Pff, "We can buy land".
really, what a way to limit your imagination.

If the devs to what they claim and listen to suggestions, and this suggestion is rather popular, they will (need) to find a way to implement this, it may take a few builds of ground work, maybe a rewrite or 10, but by if they are good on their word, and they seem to be, they'll find one way or another to implement good suggestions or give us a damn fine reason why they won't.

It's a bloody computer and if you are a programmer, you can build anything. So 'can't' is never an acceptable answer.

I understand this matter has been raised before, but I'm new to the forums and did not receive a chance to comment on it. I completely agree with this. If the developers claim to be inspired by Dwarf Fortress, they should realize how important z-levels are to the game. Prison Architect isn't Dwarf Fortress, of course, but the potential for this game is severely hindered if building is limited to a single level. People like Dwarf Fortress because of its depth, despite its very unorthodox user interface, ASCII graphics, and steep learning curve. Dwarf Fortress allows the player to think of something and then provides tools to accomplish it in-game. The same is true with Minecraft. Players, and especially creative types like architects, enjoy having freedom to build. I implore the developers to reconsider implementing z-levels. Hire some more programmers if you need to. Beg for money. Delay the game six months. I'd gladly wait that long if that's what it took to do the game right. Most importantly, communicate. If this feature is omitted, then players' creativity is stifled, and the game will only reach a fraction of its potential.

+1 I hoping that it's a lest considered it. Instead of just saying it's to hard and pointless.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:25 am

I hoping that it's a lest considered it. Instead of just saying it's to hard and pointless.

I've considered it, and concluded it too hard and pointless.

And what's all this talk of Z levels? From where I'm sitting the game already has Z levels. More Y levels, perhaps. *

*maths joke.

Seriously, they're called floors, or stories.
wildbillhdmax01
level1
level1

Postby wildbillhdmax01 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:27 pm

paktsardines wrote:
I hoping that it's a lest considered it. Instead of just saying it's to hard and pointless.

I've considered it, and concluded it too hard and pointless.

And what's all this talk of Z levels? From where I'm sitting the game already has Z levels. More Y levels, perhaps. *

*maths joke.

Seriously, they're called floors, or stories.

How is it to hard? This is a Prison building and management game. The Idea that it would be too hard to manage ridiculous.
Novbert
level2
level2

Postby Novbert » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:23 pm

RWBlackbird wrote:I understand this matter has been raised before, but I'm new to the forums and did not receive a chance to comment on it. I completely agree with this. If the developers claim to be inspired by Dwarf Fortress, they should realize how important z-levels are to the game.

Been there - done that. Z-levels are a mess even in DF. You lose visibility, you have to bend your mind just to imagine a little patch of terrain in 3d, you lose track of them as soon as you set up only 10 of those and you end up continously switching back and forth between them. DF players are accustomed to live with this (and many similar) shortcomings of the software, but my impression is that IV aims to create a much more accessible game than DF.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:52 pm

The Idea that it would be too hard to manage ridiculous

I was talking about implementation - the effort isn't worth the reward.

The game is fundamentally a top-down, 2D game. The nature of the game means the player must be able to see everything important that's happening immediately. This element would be lost with a move to 3D or Z-levels. With 3D, crucial areas of your prison will be obscured by walls and with Z levels entire floors would be obscured.

If the game _must_ move to 3D to appease the raving masses (which I don't think it does), I'd much rather see full 3D implementation over a quasi-3D z-level implementation. But I'd still prefer 2D.
FlamingTP
level0

Postby FlamingTP » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:11 pm

I read the list and noticed something was missing. I would like an option to search entire rooms that are not cells for contraband. or maybe a search function in the deployment menu. Something for the guards to do while everyone is asleep in their cells. clicking on every searchable one at a time sucks.
Novbert
level2
level2

Postby Novbert » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:55 am

FlamingTP wrote:I read the list and noticed something was missing. I would like an option to search entire rooms that are not cells for contraband. or maybe a search function in the deployment menu. Something for the guards to do while everyone is asleep in their cells. clicking on every searchable one at a time sucks.

What would that be good for?
Xoligy
level3
level3

Postby Xoligy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:09 pm

Found Escape Tunnel Punishment.

Thanks to jztemple and CplHenderson who noticed this, we need to be able to punish prisoners who are found to have an escape tunnel. Personally i class it as an escape attempt but the game does not see that it seem.

Here is what i mean.
I just conducted a search on a cell, that cell had a tunnel but on locating that tunnel the prisoner was free to roam around and do as he liked while i removed the tunnel.
Scattershot
level0

Postby Scattershot » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:55 pm

Since prisoners are released now we need a processing room for their exit.

Basically every released prisoner will go to the processing room, change out of their prison jumpsuit into their civilian clothes, gather their personal effects and leave the prison a free man.

No more having a guy in a jumpsuit running out of the prison and checking to make sure he is released and not escaping.

Return to “Community Members”