"Unconsesual intercourse"

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:40 pm

Hessen wrote:"Is that a shiv in your hand or are you just happy to see me?"
"Both, actually; this is a PTSD triggering joke"
Das_Wuff
level1
level1

Postby Das_Wuff » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:41 pm

ronanc wrote:
The word you're looking for is risque - entirely different meaning.

Risky works fine here too. As in, it would be very risky to include this feature as it would create a lot of bad publicity for the game.

Let's not make Prison Architect the first Rape Em Up please! :D

You, good sir, have obviously (and probably thankfully) never heard of the Japanese game, Rape-Lay.
ronanc
level4
level4

Postby ronanc » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:46 pm

:shock: Oh dear...
timmybananas
level0

Postby timmybananas » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:46 am

They could include "dropping the soap" in a non-explicit manner. Look at The Shawshank Redemption; there was never any gratuitous sexual content, but there was an inferred wrongness present.

I think this could be replaced by a general sense of bullying or humiliating, which is something that I hope will be inside the game. Brutes and victims.

What's great with Prison Architect's appearance is that nothing has to be as explicit as a drop of soap.

Exactly. It would add a whole new aspect the game to have some kind of balance because not all prisoners are the same.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:24 am

Rape can be funny

Nope.

More importantly, rape can be devastating. For IV to go near the subject with cartoony sprites might be seen as making light of the subject. I think they could have rape as part of one of those 'gritty-realism' storyline sequences, like the intro, but not as an everyday occurance in the prison to be 'managed'. Certainly rape shouldn't be put in the game for the sole purpose of including rape in the game.
cat
level1
level1

Postby cat » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:48 am

There is already ELECTRIC FKING CHAIRS in the game which you as the player have to use on people right in the first tutorial. And there is people getting stabbed and shot. And however terrifying rape is, stabbings and killings are more terrifying.
So to argue on the pure terror scale that rape is "too much" is complete nonsense because the daily stabbing is a bit higher on that scale.

Funny how no one seems to object that you as the player have to use electric chairs on people, yet being a simple observer to prison rape, which seems to be common in american prisons, is the devil.
Hessen
level3
level3

Postby Hessen » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:53 am

The world is far more desensitised to violence, murder than they are to rape. Itchy and Scratchy cartoon violence, you don't really get child friendly cartoons having a bit of rape in good jest.
xenxander
level1
level1

Postby xenxander » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:04 pm

porky pig/elmer fudd thing is a George Carlin reference.

Sorry you missed it.

Oh and the "squeal like a pig, boy!" line from Dilverence has been parodied quite a few times.

we do have a sense of humor about rape.
Laughing about a sensitive topic is how we cope with it in several cultures.

Making fun of a topic doesn't mean you condone the act; if you think that you're falling into a fallacy; "because of this, therefore because of that".

Joking about it? You must condone it! Rapist!

Yeah, it makes no sense to intelligent people.

There's no harm in putting rape in the game. People are prudes. This is a fictional world - a video game.
I have a very easy stance on censorship - don't.

I do not agree with enforced censorship, merely optional censorship.
hedwards
level0

Postby hedwards » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:28 pm

This isn't appropriate for a game of this type. The electric chair is one thing, but far more people know people that have been raped and I'm not sure how this would do anything other than exploit rape for some cheap laughs. I'm fine with people pushing the limits and exploring the issue, I just don't think this game is an appropriate place to do that.

And given the type of graphics and technology involved, I'm not sure what benefit there would be that couldn't be accomplished by lesser means.
dangertime
level1
level1

Postby dangertime » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:58 pm

This could be integrated with my Alien Slave Colony idea
http://forums.introversion.co.uk/prisonarchitect/viewtopic.php?t=740

Picture in your mind, a battered alien, crouching in an otherwise empty shower stall, shivering. He's afraid, and feels dirty, even while technically clean.
gsuberland
level2
level2

Postby gsuberland » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:00 pm

The important distinction is that a victim of rape (usually) survives to suffer the aftermath, whereas a victim of the electric chair is dead. It's important to remember that there will be players who have been raped, or know a friend or relative that has been raped. It's sadly not as uncommon as some people assume.

Even if we ignore the above and the devs decided a rape event should be in the game, there's the problem that games are software and software has bugs. What if a bug occurred that caused the animation of said event to become erratic? It may appear that the developers were trying to make light of the scenario, rather than treating it with the caution and solemnity it deserves. This gets worse when you consider that the prisoners are (for the mostpart) expressionless blobs, which makes the whole concept abstract and allows the player to detach from the horrific reality of rape. It'd be way too easy to make it grossly offensive.

I think the bullying side of abuse is a close enough metaphor, and an important issue in and of itself. Stick with that and leave rape well alone.
In prison, you get your own toilet. At work, you have to share.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:28 pm

xenxander wrote:Words
I got the reference. It wasn't funny he when did it either, he just delivered it quick enough that you couldn't rightly consider the horror of what he's saying.

Rape is hard get away with as society seems not to take even any given individual occurence of it seriously. It's always "What did she expect when she hung out with those guys?", "She should've been more vigilant", "She was dressed like a slut", "Fags are all deviants anyway", "He can't be raped by her; how would she even do it?", "He's in prison, they all deserve it" the ever popular "Yeah right, they're making it up" and the ever more popular of all, "She was asking for it". Around here, courts cases are 50-50 but getting the accused to court at all is 1 in 8. And that's just counting the ones that do get reported.

It's one of those things where people seem to default to questioning the victim rather than acknowledging that no matter what, it's the rapist that did it, it's the rapist's fault and it's a violent, torturous crime. As such, people really don't like it when people downplay rape; it's hard enough to change people's very dismissive attitudes about it. People already get that murder is wrong and that the murderer is in the wrong.

Just putting it into the game and allowing people to turn their prison into the gigantic rape factory would be a Bad Move™. The minute someone makes a video of that and it goes viral is the same minute IV's reputation goes somewhere whence it can never return.
Ric666
level3
level3

Postby Ric666 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:54 pm

I've nothing against adding in "shower violations"

It would just need to be done tactfully. I would laugh anyway & was actually the first thing a guy at my work asked me if it happened in-game(but thats more just his dirty mind..lol)

However, as has been said already, the stupid media would make a big deal out of it & probably wouldn't look good for IV.
Hessen
level3
level3

Postby Hessen » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:00 pm

The controversial image might boost sales.

Might not get many mums buying it for their kids for Christmas though.
thekev506
level1
level1

Postby thekev506 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:19 pm

I'd rather have this suggested rather than explicitly shown and reported, just because I don't particularly care to see it.

Return to “Community Members”