[suggestion] Hired staff should arrive on the next day's bus

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Loops
level1
level1

Postby Loops » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:55 am

I like this idea too, the game shouldn't be easy where you can just hire as many guards as you need for a riot immediately. It adds strategy to the game and a slight feeling that you can't control everything in the game.
phees
level1
level1

Postby phees » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:47 pm

+2!

I think next day is perfect, not the next bus.
Or add a difficulty modifier with "delay for new staff".
crummett
level2
level2

Postby crummett » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:50 pm

I wouldnt mind if they rocked up on the next bus but nothing longer. Most other games of this type involve instantly dropping staff into gameplay and it works well.
City Builder
level2
level2

Postby City Builder » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:33 pm

It will likely need to be a fine balancing act in the end, for example I generally buy a lot of maintenance staff in the beginning after taking the 40,000 grant (because I can afford it) and let them go to work, when I need to hire somebody like guards, chef, warden etc and It will be over my budget then I sack some of the maintenance workers until I'm back down to maybe 8 to 10 of them.

There is so much money in the grants that it allows the player to play in this way, and that's fine and all if people enjoy playing this way but it loses the challenge of the game being able to do so by having so much cash and the penalty so low.

Maybe an option would be a penalty for sacking somebody, like a severance pay and this severance pay goes higher and higher with the amount of employees that you sack.

So maybe on the first sacking it's only $100 severance pay, but after you've sacked 10 maintenance workers then it will cost you $1100 severance pay to sack the 11th maintenance worker. However, each employee type should be separated with regards to severance pay, so sacking 10 maintenance workers will not affect the severance pay of sacking guards etc. Of course the amount of the severance pay would need to be worked out and the above are just examples.

No, I have not read the entire topic so if this was already suggested you have my apologies in advance.

Personally, I could go for either, next bus or next day with regards to hiring my staff, that would avoid those "oh shit" moments when you realize that you need more guards because things are getting out of hand and instead of just plopping down more guards you have to wait and hope things don't get really wild for the new guards to arrive on the next bus or the next day. It forces you to plan ahead of time and you'll need to play proactive to plan for the future instead of playing in a reactionary type of way.
dsiOne
level1
level1

Postby dsiOne » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:45 am

I think, instead of appearing out of nowhere, they should come in on a truck exactly like your workers at the start of the game do. ASAP but not instantaneous.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:57 pm

This deals very nicely with the oh so overpowered instant spawning of guards.

There's currently a "exploit" where if a prisoner is escaping, you can spawn guards in the way to stop their progress.
ColourAndAnalyse
level0

Postby ColourAndAnalyse » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:29 pm

I am also really into the idea of having the crew arrive on a bus slightly after you hire them. Someone recommend this in the "ways to make the game better" forum.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:57 am

Personally I'd like the challenge of staff arriving the next day, but clearly the delay is something that needs to be a setting somewhere (part of difficulty?)

Or, perhaps something like buses run once per day unless you pay more to have them run more often. Although the problem with that is that people wanting an easier game have to pay more.. :roll:
Kanddak
level0

Postby Kanddak » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:20 am

I agree that they should definitely show up on a bus instead of just instantaneously appearing inside the prison.
Whether that bus shows up immediately or the next day should be a configuration option for the player to choose, since this thread demonstrates that some people would prefer each one.

Return to “Community Members”