This game should be in outer space.

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

dangertime
level1
level1

This game should be in outer space.

Postby dangertime » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:20 pm

It is likely a lack of imagination on my part, but there may be a limited potential for depth of gameplay here. Being so early in development, there is an opportunity for substantial change. I don't have a lot of time, but here's a quick rundown of what I'm envisioning.

The basic idea is: Why is magic & sci-fi tech used in so many games? Because it is flexible in definition and thus allows for design to veer off in any direction needed to improve/expand gameplay. The prison game concept is very interesting, though seemingly limited by the real-world simplicity of its nature. (We're already talking about escape tunnels, how much further can it go? Building more bedrooms is the least fun I ever had in Dwarf Fortress) Instead, consider the less limiting context of an alien prison camp. An Alien Slave Colony.

As the overseer of the slave colony, your challenges include:

- Manage escapes with the player built automated laser defense system, but energy consumption upon heavy use could lead to cataclysmic power outage, micromanagement of resources will be critical at times.
- The Robots (aka Guards) will be routinely destroyed by prisoners and need to be replaced with newly manufactured robots.
- Escapes cause delays with the Supply Shuttle, more escapes = more danger = more delay. Naturally as time goes on the delay would increase, ratcheting up the challenge as 'emergency deliveries' to deal with emerging problems would be less quick to arrive.
- Manage resource acquisition and manufacturing via mining pits and alien labor assignments.
- Discover new technologies and secrets of alien psychology through interrogation, leading to new manufacturing options and efficiency upgrades in all areas.
- Pacify revolts with emotion suppression beam, preempt revolts by medicating the food supply.
- Manage power production to maintain functions like the containment force-fields, laser defense perimeter, both temporary and permanent.
- Ward off occasional attacks by hordes of 'free' aliens, who attack walls to free prisoners, by directing power to defense systems in the vicinity of attack.
- Send out 'away teams' to retrieve aliens (of varying aggressiveness/destructiveness) from the (off-map) world. Take care to keep particularly aggressive prisoners segregated from the general population and in more secure cells.
- Staff the facility with engineers, scientists, and researchers, all of whom must be in harms way to do their work.
- Manage groups of alien prisoners, assigning them to work brigades, and cell blocks which each have their own regime.
- Manage logistics for supply-ship deliveries carefully. An alien raid, revolt of supply ship delay could throw your supply chain into a downward spiral.

Utilize slave labor to:
1. Harvest the alien planet for materials used for manufacturing and expanding the prison base, and foods consumable by the aliens.
2. Extract the alien blood and convert it to a priceless super drug favored back on earth.
3. Train the prisoners to manufacture equipment to be used on site.
4. Force them to run cranks that power the facility.
5. Interrogate the aliens to reveal their secrets.

Think about it. The abhorrence of human rights violations is something few take lightly. But nobody cries over the oppression of a violent alien species. The tech angle & imaginary alien world opens game development to any direction.

OK that's just some ideas. You guys are fantastic! And I hope my words are taken in the spirit they are intended. Run with it, run away from it, it's all good. In any event, I'm looking forward to watching the game develop and having a lot of "FUN" with it :)
ElectricGlow
level2
level2

Postby ElectricGlow » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:25 pm

Pop some champagne Introversion! We got the DLC figured out! :D
ronanc
level4
level4

Postby ronanc » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:39 pm

I absolutely respect your opinion but say no, absolutely no to this idea. The success of Tycoon games relies entirely upon a realistic world model. Putting this game in space fundamentally breaks that and stops me playing it.
Last edited by ronanc on Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hessen
level3
level3

Postby Hessen » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:40 pm

WTF did I just read.
thekev506
level1
level1

Postby thekev506 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:52 pm

Jack5500
level2
level2

Postby Jack5500 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:53 pm

Most of this stuff can be done via modding the existing files.
Just do it! :D
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:57 pm

An image pack and a lot of scenario scripting might pull it off somehow. I wouldn't want to be the one to try it.
Hessen
level3
level3

Postby Hessen » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:59 pm

With the current level of modability, it's only a matter of time before there's a fanmade Star Wars or Warcraft mod.
frasercarter
level1
level1

Postby frasercarter » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:24 pm

thekev506 wrote:Image
DonkSpirit
level1
level1

Postby DonkSpirit » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:26 pm

No.
OldDullard
level1
level1

Postby OldDullard » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:48 am

Jeeze. This guy put alot of thought into his post and people just trash it. The game isnt finished yet. Everyone deserves an opinion. No response os the same as "no" in my opinion.
a__gun
level3
level3

Re: This game should be in outer space.

Postby a__gun » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:14 am

dangertime wrote:But nobody cries over the oppression of a violent alien species.

Chris has stated several times that they WANT to handle the real world issues surrounding prisons. As you say, no one would give it a second thought if it were aliens or monsters being jailed by robots, but that's not what they seem to want. Whilst this is only an alpha, I think it is unheard of for any game to so drastically change its setting at this point in development.

That being said, I'm sure there will be others who would like this, and mods will surely pop up.
EatBox420
level0

Postby EatBox420 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:35 am

I had the same idea!!!!. As far as the base game goes it would never work, but it would make one badness mod though. Just some textures and a few new features. I saw it as more aliens running human work/slave colonies.

Again, not the direction I would ever want to see PA be developed.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:36 am

I believe that Nancy Regan had something to say about your ideas.

xander
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:12 am

Run with it, run away from it, it's all good.

Running, running away.

Return to “Community Members”