Attack dogs

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Would you like to see attack dogs?

Yes
83%
No
8%
Don't care
9%

Total votes: 507
acegamer08
level3
level3

Postby acegamer08 » Mon May 06, 2013 8:46 pm

Last edited by acegamer08 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aryajmarya
level1
level1

Postby Aryajmarya » Tue May 07, 2013 12:19 pm

acegamer08 wrote:
Aryajmarya wrote:In reply to all those saying that bacon can subdue/has a chance to subdue a dog, there is a way around that. If you don't allow meal variety in the regime menu, then the chefs don't cook bacon, only cabbage. This would be a good way to avoid prisoners getting the better of dogs, but it comes with a penalty as prisoners should get tired of the same food over and over again.

i don't wanna have to torment the prisoners (any more than usual) by giving them cabbage only....they (game designers) need to make sure the dogs (if implemented) will not be lured astray by bacon (or any other food item)....i dont want it to be too easy for the prisoners to outwit the dogs. (just my opinion)

It won't be too easy to lure the dogs (if they implement luring as a risk factor), but more of a chance for it. But the Sniffer dogs should be immune to it. The attack dogs, or the ones outside the gate that chase escaping prisoners could be tricked into the bacon if the prisoner drops it at the right time.
acegamer08
level3
level3

Postby acegamer08 » Tue May 07, 2013 2:23 pm

Last edited by acegamer08 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kentonio
level0

Postby Kentonio » Tue May 07, 2013 7:47 pm

Or perhaps if different guards/prisoners had different speeds reflecting their fitness level.
ZenCrazy
level0

K-9 Units

Postby ZenCrazy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:56 pm

My suggestion is call it a K-9 unit. A guard and a dog working as a single unit.

Good for:
-Patrolling outdoors/perimeters; along walls/fences (I would make this their default/preferred behaviour, unless a patrol is assigned, etc)
-Suppression of prisoners (the dog is released to attack and drag down prisoners for subdual)
-Contraband detection on prisoners or in cells

Bad for:
-Intimidating presence, while good for prisoner suppression, when too long amongst general populace causes unrest to build

It could be one unit, the dog acting much like a regular guard's baton or shotgun, etc. only, the dog can die. When this happens the handler acts like a regular guard until a new dog is purchased (perhaps only available after a dog has died, otherwise you would just buy the K-9 unit as a single unit cost).

Otherwise, after unlocking the K-9 unit tree, you might simply be able to buy a dog and have it auto-assigned to one of your already active guards; that way, if a dog should be killed, the guard goes back to regular duty.

(Whichever way is better/easier to script) :P

Anyway, just my two cents on K-9 units in the game!

Would love to see them!

Oh yeah! Plus, the outdoor patrol and ability to search cells/bunks would be a great way to detect and counter those escape tunnels I've heard tell of! ^^

Thanks for the great game IV! Loving it so far!
Commence forum signature activate go!
fat_wilf
level1
level1

Postby fat_wilf » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:04 pm

Use of sniffer dogs is prevalent throughout the whole government, airport, police, prisons etc.

there is a DOG sprite in the PA images file so it is likely to be included.

I would like to see them used for the MUCH DISCUSSED option of being able to search cells for contraband which i am hugely in favour of.

Click on a dog - send him to a cell... he goes off with his handler/guard... and BARK BARK! knife under the bed! BARK BARK! drugs hidden behind the toilet!

Well done Inspector Woof. Have a biscuit.
TagWolf
level1
level1

Postby TagWolf » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:41 pm

Hell yes!!!

This game would benefit from german sheppies :D. Like all games ;P
christhekiller
level3
level3

Postby christhekiller » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:01 pm

There could also be hunting dogs that might help you catch prisoners after they escape.

After all I doubt guards would just let the prisoners run. You could form search parties and dogs would greatly increase the chances of catching and bringing back the prisoner.
Gazeruth
level0

Postby Gazeruth » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:04 pm

acegamer08 wrote:
Aryajmarya wrote:
acegamer08 wrote:
Aryajmarya wrote:In reply to all those saying that bacon can subdue/has a chance to subdue a dog, there is a way around that. If you don't allow meal variety in the regime menu, then the chefs don't cook bacon, only cabbage. This would be a good way to avoid prisoners getting the better of dogs, but it comes with a penalty as prisoners should get tired of the same food over and over again.

i don't wanna have to torment the prisoners (any more than usual) by giving them cabbage only....they (game designers) need to make sure the dogs (if implemented) will not be lured astray by bacon (or any other food item)....i dont want it to be too easy for the prisoners to outwit the dogs. (just my opinion)

It won't be too easy to lure the dogs (if they implement luring as a risk factor), but more of a chance for it. But the Sniffer dogs should be immune to it. The attack dogs, or the ones outside the gate that chase escaping prisoners could be tricked into the bacon if the prisoner drops it at the right time.

sounds ok i guess, but if they made the guards walk faster than the prisoners that would solve most of the problems (as it is now the escaping prisoners seem to fly past the few guards that are chasing them)

Realistically some prisoners would be quicker than guards though.. I guess the bigger ones could be slower, but a guard will have his equipment and what-not, and they're not exactly trained to be fit (when comparing the example to criminals vs cops).

I like the idea of dogs, and I like the idea of them subduing a prisoner, but if they're not very well cared for (food, shelter etc) - can they get angry and instead of subduing, attack and potentially kill the prisoners.. Not sure if that's too much work though!
Acreyzek
level1
level1

Postby Acreyzek » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:06 pm

Masochist wrote:
Phydaux wrote:
kongoman wrote:Have you seen attack dogs in any real world prison ?
Yes :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0OfEWyegfs&t=6m20s

That is a contraband dog...not an attack dog...

Which would be nifty...make guards slightly worse at finding drug contraband and make dogs really good at it.

You can be both wrong and right, it is a german shepherd which is generally used as a frontline dog, to scare people, a contraband dog/ narcotics dog is mostly a labrador of some sort.

The german shepherd is most likely not trained as a contraband dog

:)
GiantSpacePuppy
level1
level1

Postby GiantSpacePuppy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:54 pm

You can't go wrong with puppies!

I think you forgot the most important type though: therapy dogs. Labs, goldens, belgian shepherds.. I bet they use them in some prisons.

In general I would like there to be an element of rehabilitation in the game.. after all it is a central part of the whole prison concept. Therapy, education, etc.. therapy dogs would fit in nicely in that context.

So you could have a kennel with all these different types of dogs, attack dogs, sniffer dogs, therapy dogs.
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:59 pm

Acreyzek wrote:You can be both wrong and right, it is a german shepherd which is generally used as a frontline dog, to scare people, a contraband dog/ narcotics dog is mostly a labrador of some sort.

The german shepherd is most likely not trained as a contraband dog

On the US/Mexico border they use belgian, dutch and german shepherds as sniffer dogs.
GiantSpacePuppy
level1
level1

Postby GiantSpacePuppy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:24 pm

If my prisoners ever kill a single dog though, they will be locked up forever after that..
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:07 am

they use belgian, dutch and german shepherds as sniffer dogs.

Well, that's not very useful. They'd spend all day fighting and apologising.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:33 am

paktsardines wrote:
they use belgian, dutch and german shepherds as sniffer dogs.

Well, that's not very useful. They'd spend all day fighting and apologising.

That's better than French shepherds, who just tuck their tails and flee.

xander

[size=0]PS: Sorry, France. Well, only a little. The Maginot Line was rather pathetic.[/size]

Return to “Community Members”