Attack dogs

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Would you like to see attack dogs?

Yes
83%
No
8%
Don't care
9%

Total votes: 507
troe2339
level0

Postby troe2339 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:10 pm

thekev506 wrote:I don't really see the benefits of having police dogs aside from contraband searching. They wouldn't be useful in a riot - they're too difficult to control once you let them attack, otherwise we'd see them in use in riots outside of prisons.

Actually they are used outside prisons, but in riots their dog handler don't let go off them, they hold them in a short line and use their barks to frighten the rioters
laser50
level2
level2

Postby laser50 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:17 pm

Adding this to the tech tree would be awesome, maybe in the place of the riot guard, add a "Dog Trainer" and after him "Dogs" so that research is doing more :)

But there's gotta be ways to keep them from being overpowered.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:57 pm

The cons I suggested should do more than enough to keep it balanced, I was imagining it would be right beside the riot guard actually, the same tier but a different route which would start to unlock kennel, vet, dog handler, police dog, sniffer dog.
Yes, that is a penguin with rabies. Deal with it.
icelandica
level0

Postby icelandica » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:51 am

Dogs would be great! Even if a prisoner manages to escape the confines of the prison, the dog would be able to catch up with the prisoner and hold him down at least till the guard arrives. Often times, once the prisoner escapes the prison walls, the guards never catch him :(
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:28 pm

icelandica wrote:Dogs would be great! Even if a prisoner manages to escape the confines of the prison, the dog would be able to catch up with the prisoner and hold him down at least till the guard arrives. Often times, once the prisoner escapes the prison walls, the guards never catch him :(

well they wouldnt work against rambo :)
With the sincerest regards,
111none
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:51 am

111none wrote:
icelandica wrote:Dogs would be great! Even if a prisoner manages to escape the confines of the prison, the dog would be able to catch up with the prisoner and hold him down at least till the guard arrives. Often times, once the prisoner escapes the prison walls, the guards never catch him :(

You're assuming that Rambo would actually get arrested.
Last edited by christopher1006 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:01 am

christopher1006 wrote:
111none wrote:

You're assuming that Rambo would actually get a arrested.

not rambo, but anyone with that level of skill
111none
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:20 am

Unleash the hounds of war.
HaganeNo
level0

Postby HaganeNo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:59 pm

I think this is a very good idea, I would love to see a new type of guards :)
firefoxx74
level0

Postby firefoxx74 » Sun May 05, 2013 6:59 pm

I'd be tempted to split it into two types:

Animal handler, unlocked through Bureaucracy, after Chief. Gives access to:

[b]Attack dog[/b]
- High health (in relation to sniffer dog, low health in relation to humans)
- Runs faster than prisoners and guards
- Large visibility radius (more than guards)
- Will attack prisoners on sight; causes injury to prisoner; slows prisoner when attacking (to less than walking speed)

This last part is key. You don't want to put Attack dogs amongst your general population, but you might want them in buffer zones to stop escapees.
Prisoners will defend themselves when being attacked by dog, will cause injury to dog.

[b]Sniffer dog[/b]
- Low health (in relation to attack dog)
- Runs at same speed as prisoners and guards
- Medium visibility radius (more than chef/workman, less than guards)
- Will identify prisoners with contraband, similar to metal detector. (if drugs are introduced, this would be to identify drugs; whereas metal detector to identify weapons)

Prisoners may attack dog when no guards present, causing injury to dog.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Sun May 05, 2013 11:09 pm

@firefoxx74 I like the overall idea but there's a few things I'd like to add to that.

Attack dog- Though it attacks on sight a guard or dog handler has to be there to call them off or else the dog will follow its training and may do anything from permanently incapacitate the prisoner to ripping their throat out, a guard must run up to the dog and risks serious injury to himself since he doesn't know how to stop the dog whilst the dog trainer can instantly call the dog off from a short distance away thereby encouraging investing in those dog handlers. (also you should be able to assign dog and handler pairs so that they can work together without the player having to micromanage them.

Sniffer dog- I was thinking instead of randomly running around and sniffing prisoners the sniffer dog would automatically run to a prisoner with a search priority on him and would be able to search the prisoner in 1/4-1/2 of the time a guard can search a prisoner with a significantly higher chance of finding the contraband.

Other than that I like what you wrote, especially your solution to people playing with high profit prisons sending attack dogs to patrol the corridors.
Lance_Lake
level1
level1

Postby Lance_Lake » Mon May 06, 2013 1:29 am

Illanair wrote:But of course they shouldn't mortally wound inmates, only pacify them... with teeth :twisted:

Why not? I like the idea of adding that random element of dogs sometime snapping and attacking everyone and have to be put down.

It can be one of the negatives.

Also, it would be cool to have a prison with no guards, just loads of dogs everywhere. :)
VforVitor
level0

Postby VforVitor » Mon May 06, 2013 8:16 am

It would be cool if there were items undetectable by the metal detectors (such as drugs or point-carved toothbrushes) that guard dogs could search for it
Aryajmarya
level1
level1

Postby Aryajmarya » Mon May 06, 2013 1:09 pm

In reply to all those saying that bacon can subdue/has a chance to subdue a dog, there is a way around that. If you don't allow meal variety in the regime menu, then the chefs don't cook bacon, only cabbage. This would be a good way to avoid prisoners getting the better of dogs, but it comes with a penalty as prisoners should get tired of the same food over and over again.
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Mon May 06, 2013 8:29 pm

also have to add in the raw meat in the kitchen. But some dogs can be trained to avoid it
111none

Return to “Community Members”